Author Topic: Dresden Files in Shanghai  (Read 1229 times)

Magicpockets

Dresden Files in Shanghai
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:23:21 AM »
Hi all,
need your help on brainstorming a potential DF game set in Shanghai. I'm fairly familiar with the locale, but stuck on how to expand it to include typical Urban fantasy elements.

What I have thus far:
-Jade Court: They always come up whenever you talk about DF and Asia.
-Growth: It's an ever expanding city of constant progress. And construction sites.
-Various Gangs/Mobs: It's Shanghai. I imagine a turf war or too going on.

Ideas and other input would be most welcome.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files in Shanghai
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:39:04 AM »
I don't know much about Shanghai, but one thing I do know is that the place is huge.

Wikipedia says that it's the most populous city in the world. Roughly 18 million people in the core districts and another 6 million in the other regions.

If you're going to use the entire city for your game, you'll probably need to take that preposterous size into account.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:12:45 AM »
For some reason, I have the mental image of Chow Yun Fat as a Freeholding Chinese Gangster Lord and the theme music of Shanghai Bund playing in my head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bund_(TV_series)
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »
Bring it down to the basics. You've got a huge city with millions of people in it. So... Someone Is Always Watching. Taking that further, you could have a group/groups that are specifically monitoring Shanghai for one reason or another. Maybe there's a reason so many people live there in the first place and it's part of the main plot.

On top of that Shanghai has a rich history in regards to religion and folklore, but now has a mostly atheistic population (Taoism and Buddhism make up the largest minorities). So while a lot of people will be quite cynical about the supernatural, there would be a a significant enough proportion of the population that would believe in spirits, demons and the likes. Could be there are criminal groups with demonic powers and cops that call on the strength of their ancestors to fight with, and vigilante groups using their own powers as well (if you haven't yet, watch the film Push: It's about superpowered people in Hong Kong and is great for stealing ideas from. It's also a fantastic film, which helps). This works especially well if you're looking at a low powered game.

Higher up the ladder we could see religious organisations dedicated to exorcising evil spirits and freeing the mortals that have been brought under their sway. You could go a lot of routes with this, but I'd suggest it as a way to bring the Jade Court in. Since you're basically inventing a new vampire court from scratch you're going to have to think up some decent weaknesses as well. I read a good fanfic once that had the Jade Court eat memories, but that would be difficult to fit into an RPG if your players aren't completely behind the idea of IC/OOC separation. Weaknesses wise I'd be sure to not have them easily available. The only thing we know about the Jade Court is that they're secretive.

And I think I'm done taking over this RPG now. It's easy enough to bring the urban part into things when you're dealing with big cities; just take the things the city is famous for and give them a magical twist.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."