Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259349 times)

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
Yeah, I understand about the height differences and it not being realistic. I certainly don't expect a 6'8 or 9" actor to play Harry nor a 5'1" actress to play Murphy. But I feel like the proportion and "look" should be there for characters JB has specifically given height info for. So, like, you shouldn't have a 6' Harry and a 5'10" Murphy. And some people *look* shorter or taller than they actually are. For example, in another group someone suggested Katheryn Winnick for Murphy. I love her, but not for Murphy. She's only 5'6", which should work, but to me she *appears* too tall to be tiny but fierce (I would also argue she is too gorgeous/hot to be cute-as-a-button, but that's a different conversation.)

So, someone 5'10" *could* play Will if he looked stocky and was paired with a willowy (not necessarily taller) Georgia

They got around pretty serious height difference requirements in the Lord of the Rings by making use of "perspective" shots and use of kids for scenes where the hobbits' faces weren't shown.  If they can accommodate hobbits vs. Gandalf, Aragorn etc, they could accommodate Harry vs. Murphy the same way, I think...
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »
IIRC, John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) was actually taller than most of his Fellowship colleagues.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
I read somewhere that $100m of the $300m budget for LotR was special effects.

A lot of that was probably fight scenes, but a huge chunk probably went to shrinking people down.

I can't see a studio agreeing to pay biff money to shrink down or up a couple characters. they'd just cast differently if it were that important.

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
Another thought for Butters - has anyone suggested Simon Helberg yet? (Moist from Dr. Horrible and he plays someone on the Big Bang Theory)

(click to show/hide)
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
Frankceska, you are brilliant! FYI...Simon Helberg plays Howard Wolowitz on Big Bang Theory. I don't know why I never thought of him for Butters before. He's perfect! And that frees up Johnny Galecki for Will Borden in my fantasy cast.

Another thought for Butters - has anyone suggested Simon Helberg yet? (Moist from Dr. Horrible and he plays someone on the Big Bang Theory)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
Indeed, he is perfect!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2014, 03:49:38 AM »
Frankceska, you are brilliant! FYI...Simon Helberg plays Howard Wolowitz on Big Bang Theory. I don't know why I never thought of him for Butters before. He's perfect! And that frees up Johnny Galecki for Will Borden in my fantasy cast.

Perfect!  :)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline rudobrody

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
Here's a short little fan film shot as a trailer for Skin Game, and the guy they have playing Michael actually looks very good for the part in my opinion.  Their Nicodemus doesn't look too bad either I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZUvrIQWuY

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
I've met their Murphy and she is awesome. Fun fact - their Michael is like 6'8"
Here's a short little fan film shot as a trailer for Skin Game, and the guy they have playing Michael actually looks very good for the part in my opinion.  Their Nicodemus doesn't look too bad either I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ZUvrIQWuY

Offline rudobrody

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
I've met their Murphy and she is awesome. Fun fact - their Michael is like 6'8"

That's cool.  Haha, maybe he'd make a better Harry then, but I still think he'd fit well for Michael since Michael is also really tall.  Almost as tall as Harry if I recall.

Offline Denarian

• Participant
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2014, 12:18:49 AM »
Speaking of Harry, I recall a poll a long time ago (from an earlier iteration of this thread) that suggested Nathan Fillion was the best choice for Dresden. I dunno, Harry can be terrifying at times and Fillion has never really scared me (as talented as he is). Has Nathan ever played the villain in something?
Harry Dresden and the Sorcerer's Curse
Harry Dresden and the Chamber of Circles
Harry Dresden and the Prisoner of Vampires
Harry Dresden and the Stone Table
Harry Dresden and the Order of the Blackened Denarius
Harry Dresden and the Half-Blood Vampire
Harry Dresden and the Deadly Darkhallo

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2014, 12:25:04 AM »
Speaking of Harry, I recall a poll a long time ago (from an earlier iteration of this thread) that suggested Nathan Fillion was the best choice for Dresden. I dunno, Harry can be terrifying at times and Fillion has never really scared me (as talented as he is). Has Nathan ever played the villain in something?

I don't know about a villain, but Mal following Book's death was sure intimidating as heck.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2014, 01:56:20 AM »
he played a bad guy on Buffy.

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2014, 07:19:37 AM »
Fillion was my first choice for Harry.  Kinda not visualizing him as much now--Fillion has filled out a little too much for the role, I think.  Always visualized Harry as more gaunt and angular than NF is now...
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline AndiSue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
My brilliant husband just came up with the most amazing casting choice for Marcone.  Dolph freakin' Lundgren!