Author Topic: Rotes for Soul-Fire  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Rotes for Soul-Fire
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
I'm going to play a Soul-Fire wielding caster.  It's going to be a water-themed caster, for the most part which is why the rotes are they way I have them but I still have pretty much the full flexibility of Soul-Fire.  So a light spell would be a large globule of water that floats in the air and glows, for instance.

Conviction: 4 Lore and Discipline 5
Foci:
+2 defensive control
+1 defensive power

I was working out my rotes and here's what I came up with:

(click to show/hide)

I'm not really looking at min/maxing so much as seeing if I missed anything as far as evo-thaum goes.  With evo-thaum, I could have a skill replacement as a rote...so I'm looking for interesting "think outside the box" useful rotes that you may not get with regular evocation.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Rotes for Soul-Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:44:54 AM »
A water-based movement spell could be handy if your Athletics isn't too good.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
One thing that comes to mind would be that soulfire induced water could become something like Harry's hand construct, but because you have water in the center of the spell, it could be way more flexible. A rope of water to bind someone, for example. Or water flowing into a lock and the soulfire keeps it in the right shape to act as a key. Basically anything where this combination of fluid/solid properties could come in handy.

Also, I'm sort of looking forward to see a Moses move. ;)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:20:41 AM »
Also recall that ultra-high-pressure water is very dangerous... it can cut cleanly and quickly through stone, even most metals; vs flesh and bone, it cuts like an uber-blade, a cross between a power-drill and a micro-chainsaw.  With Soulfire, even supernatural hardening might not resist.  But note that when you swing a water-blade, the blade is liquid:  anything that "blocks" it, your swing continues unimpared, and as soon as the blocking object is no longer in front of your swing, the liquid blade re-forms, just as potent as ever, and your swing continues at full speed!  You may need to stat it with some sort of "hard to Block" advantage...

However, this is much more than a "weapon".  You can cut neatly through doors, walls, etc (even brick walls, metal doors, etc).  You can drill very-fine holes.  Ultra-erosion in soft dirt.  You can cause all kinds of mayhem to your environment, slapping aspects onto a scene...

I also recommend looking up the "Avatar" animated series, and "water-bending"...

Steve, the g33k