Author Topic: GMing Tips and Hints  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Xandarth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
GMing Tips and Hints
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:25:33 PM »
Ok reading another thread I saw that some people are worried about using Dresdenverse book characters in their games due to PC's habits of killing stuff and thought a thread where we offer GMing advice such as tips on how to avoid pitfalls like PC's killing your Big Bad.

Here's some of my tips on making bad guys tough and making encounters challenging.

Firstly, if your PC's breeze through an encounter easily have contingencies planned to make it more difficult before you begin the session. These can be something as simple as "the buildings on fire and it's not even your fault!" or something more complex.

Eg. The encounter was set as an attack by the White Court on the players. The PC's go in guns blazing and you realise that you made the whampires too weak and the PC's will breeze through the encounter. That's ok, you have a Black Court hit squad ready to rumble and starting round 2 you have them intervene. The whampires call for a temporary truce with the players while both groups deal with their mutual enemy.

Secondly, have the NPC's act like PC's. Basically play them as smart as you can. Generic bad guys fighting to the death become like speed bumps for players, a temporary inconvenience that is immediately forgotten. I'll write up some advice on this in another post.

Next, you might have noticed Jim sets buildings on fire a lot in his novels. That's simply because it's a writers easiest form of escalation of a scene and pretty much every writer does it because it works. It doesn't need to be fire, just any other form of environmental danger that draws an instinctive fear response. Loose, sparking electrical cables, heights, spiders, corpses etc. etc. can be used to equal effect. It's not just authors, think any Hollywood blockbuster and you'll realise the dramatic scenes always combine environmental challenges as well as bad guys. What works for them works for GM's too.

Fighting Marcones goon squad might be humdrum, fighting them off while one of the party members climbs out on a steel girder above a hundred foot drop to rescue their client from plummeting to their death is memorable. By simply adding environmental dangers to an encounter you can remove the need for a direct confrontation with the Big Bad and make what would normally be a speedbump encounter into a tension filled scene.

Finally the simplest form of preventing players going too far off book is to enforce the logical penalties of their actions. Obviously breaking one of the Laws has an in game effect. But if your players decide to kill the local representative of the Red Court while visiting their place as an emissary of the White Council and wreck the joint.... start a war between the two factions that leads to thousands of deaths and make sure that NPC's everywhere let the Players know it's all their fault. Have their friends and contacts suffer as a result and then treat the players accordingly. Have the police investigate them at inopportune times and bring them in for questioning when they are just about to solve some mystery or prevent some evildoing. The Players will think twice about doing that sort of thing in future.
Jim doesn't make mistakes. He uses dramatic license.

Offline Xandarth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: GMing Tips and Hints
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »
Here's ten tips on how to play your NPC's so that they are more challenging for players (which I stole over a decade ago from the Heavy Gear GM's guide but have extrapolated on).

1: Shoot first. Preferably with snipers. If your NPC is determined to kill the players, don't have them stroll casually into the street 50 feet in front of the PC's and ready automatic weapons. Have them walk up behind a PC and shoot them in the back with a shotgun as the PC goes to unlock the car door to his Beetle or shoot them with a scoped rifle from a building half a mile away.

2: Use Cover. Having NPC's use cover gives two advantages as a GM, first the obvious is that your NPC's are harder to kill. If your bad guys do need to leave cover, have them use suppressive fire, veils, illusions, fog spells, flash bangs or smoke grenades to make it less risky. The second is far more important from a storytelling point of view. The PC's don't know if they can see all the bad guys. Use phrases like "From your position you can see...." rather than just telling them where all the bad guys are.

Keep the players guessing if there is a team sneaking around behind them. Make the PC's cover entrances where no bad guys exist due to paranoia. Make characters waste actions looking around and clearing empty rooms. Ask for perception checks even when they aren't needed. Curtains flapping, cats knocking over tins of paint and other such devices can also lead to encounters your players will remember for months. Bonus points if you manage to get the PC's to shoot each other or their backup.

The tension of the encounter will be higher without even having to level your bad guys up and tension leads to dramatic scenes and makes a more enjoyable game.

3: NPC's should gather intelligence on the PC's. Your NPC's should try to find weaknesses of the players and keep tabs on them. Not only does this lead to potential mini-adventures if the players find out a PI is watching their house, knowing to use flame throwers on a wizard who only uses kinetic shielding can make a goon enemy deadly.

4: NPC's should avoid trouble. Unless they have some issue such as rage brought on by a family curse, most people don't put themselves in harms way unless there is some benefit for themselves. Your NPC's should be no different. Have them try to reason or bargain with the PC's rather than pick fights. Have them try to search the PC's property when they aren't around. If a fight is inevitable see Rule 1.

5: When in doubt, grenade it out. Don't have your minions charge into the room with the PC's who are armed for bear and looking for trouble. Have them throw explosives in instead. Or burn down the building they are in. A good GM should always take the opportunity to cause property damage to PC's residences/place of business/favourite pub and force their insurance premiums up. Plus any session the players can say "The building's on fire and it isn't even my fault" is a good session.

6: If it's obvious, it's probably a trap. Don't let the PC's get away with cheesy ambushes. If it's likely the NPC could work out the PC's plan either don't have them show up, or have them show up in a helicopter gunship. Well planned ambushes are a different story, but if the PC's decide to kill Marcone and then rent a room opposite his office and start carrying sniper rifles up there, have his goons spot them, have them get ratted out or have the landlord call the cops on them and have the firefight between a SWAT team and the PC's instead.

Additionally don't give your PC's the opportunity to kill a major character unless they earn it. If it's someone with influence they will probably use bodyguards to disarm the players before meeting them, or use a proxy like Justine to deliver messages to the party. Your bad guys should have contingency plans, safe houses and panic rooms. Some of them will even call the police.

7: Work in teams. Have the bad guys provide cover for each other as they move. Have them lay down smoke screens (or fog spells), use veils, cast illusions etc. to support their team. They should focus fire the most obvious threat amongst the PC's. Have them call for backup if they feel they are outnumbered or outgunned.

8: Use passive defence systems. Lara has remote detonation mines built into the walls of her waiting room. This should be the basis of lair planning for all your bad guys. Got a munchkin PC who's a killer in HTH? Moats, minefields, barbed wire and machine guns emplacements are how you level the playing field.

9: Get terrain advantage: Have the bad guys try to get high ground. Don't stand them in doorways - have them under cover aiming at the door the PC's have to go through. This forces characters to get creative and again can be done with low powered enemies to make them tougher.

10: If it looks bad, run away. Most people aren't going to fight to the death and your NPC's (bar a couple like loup-garou's and Nicodemous's army of fanatics) shouldn't be any different. If your NPC's (initial ambush fails / get injured / see a bunch of their buddies taken out) then have them retreat to fight another day. If the encounter was too easy, turn the NPC running away into another challenge. Eg. One of the NPC's running away took the information the PC's need with them. Cue chase scene.

Escalation of the scene doesn't necessarily doesn't have to mean tougher bad guys, just a new challenge for your players to overcome. Making it a challenge that a party member who had a small role in the initial encounter will excel in is also a great way to make all of the players feel involved in the scenario.

The key to making your players think the bad guys are tough is tension. Actual game stats are fairly irrelevant as you'll typically always have some munchkin or rules lawyer in the party who can come up with some plan to ruin your carefully plotted scenario if you just play by the numbers and allow direct confrontations. If the players are tense when they go through the encounter they will think it was tough, even if in reality it wasn't. Plus they will feel more elated when they succeed and feel they are making progress which is key to keeping them interested in the game.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »
FIGHTS SHOULDN'T LAST HOURS
This is something I've learned as a GM, brief intense fights are more interesting than traditional "Dungeon crawls" I've seen some GMs go through.

DRESDEN HAS SEVERAL STRESS TRACKS FOR A REASON
I hate playing for months in a game and not having any Social, or Mental Stress.

Think of Social Stress like the Tv show Firefly, they were always carrying around a consequence and stress from Social Stress and it effected the plot.

Think of Mental stress as more than "I have a headache". Think instead "Quick to Anger" or "Pissed off" "sucidal" ect ect

Lasers are more powerful than flashlights because of focus.
What I mean is, Focus on what makes the (for example) Red Court such badasses, money, power, influence and big f***** claws.
I see GMs making the mistake of shining a flash light on ALL of the Dresden universe. So its Red Court, Black Court, White Court, Jade Court, Summer Court, Winter Court, Spring/Fall Court,  Denrians, Swords of the Cross falling out of ever crevice, pixies, elves, Monarch security ect ect ect Which hey, thats cool, but Butcher tends to string that stuff out over several books and thousands of pages.
So while you can do EVERYTHING its going to suffer, better off doing just "alittle bit" and making it great. Quality not Quantity.

Railroads are dying, people drive for a reason
"You guys see an abandoned building in the middle of no where, your Wizard sense Black Courts nearby"
"Lets just light it on fire and leave"
I hate rail roading. Let your players decide what they want to do. Also you as a GM have a really great tool to get things to happen. Compel Aspects.
GM "I'm going to compel your High Concept of "White Court Warden" to have you check in at a local HQ and catch up on stuff you missed.
GM "I'm going to compel your Trouble of "Family comes first" to check on your little sister in the hostipal
At the same time, often times Players will take you to more interesting places.
Example
Playing in a game where it was Obvious the GM wanted us to make a deal with some thing from Atlantis, instead the player wanted to reach out to the Winter Court (where he had connections) and make a deal. GM just said "They  dont pick up the phone" boo! Hiss! Bad GMing.

Your Players are the Stars
A lot of GMs write out the epic storys and plots. Who cares? Always put yourself in the PCs shoes "Who is this? why do I care?"
So when you spend 30 minutes real time having two NPCs battle each other or have private conversation. 99% you shouldn't be doing that.

Shadowrun is a great game, but.....
The "Mysterious benefactor" who pays you to go on a mission has been done and is just lazy gming. Troupes and Cliches are fun sometimes "Your long lost Wife shoes up and says "they took our Daughter" but use them sparingly.

NPCS have Families
They want to go home to them at the end of the day. If you're a Henchman for the Joker, you're not going to go throw a Pie at Superman, you're going to go "I surrender" or run for it.

GM Screens are for Bad Gms
If you NEED the Screen for Notes, stats, thats fine, but lay it down and roll your dice where everyone can see them. "Fudging" Dice rolls is Rail Roading.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »
Sometimes fudging dice rolls needs to happen, but only if it keeps things FUN. If your player comes up with a great plan, well thought out, creatively using the environment or their own gifts, and then a bad die roll screws it up? They're less likely to think outside of the box down the road, trusting to mechanics and dice rolls instead. They'll never step outside the comfort zone, and do something they're not "good" at. So MY advice is, reward bravado and creativity. Even if it doesn't work out the way they want, at least reward the thought, because in a game that's ALL thought (since no actual RL physical abilities are important) it's ALWAYS the thought that counts.

Also, in regards to having bad guys as clever as players: YES. However, that can get really difficult to manage since players are only managing ONE character and having to be clever for ONE. Plus, we all usually take way longer to make ONE move than Real Time would allow. So if you the GM try to make EVERY GMPC and mook as clever as ONE person, you end up in a time sink or going nuts. So, it may be to your advantage to elect a player, preferrably one who doesn't show up as regularly as the others, but DEFINITELY one you trust, to run the mooks (like an assistant GM) while you run your BBEG's. That way, when the big fight goes down, you the GM aren't having to be clever for EVERYONE and keep the story in mind and the rules and allllll that other goodness.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »
I've found the best ways to scale challenge in conflict is to ignore everything the book says about it. It largely boils down to two things: Effective skill ratings, and numbers.

Look at the skill ratings for your PCs and, if you want to challenge them, set the opposition's relevant skill one or two steps higher. Even if it's only with goons, make the sides 1 to 1--the Dresden system makes it easy for any single enemy to go down quickly when facing multiple opponents, so just giving them some mooks to concentrate on for a few rounds works wonders.

I am going to very-much second the idea of the NPCs doing the research--my latest scenario started with a long-time adversary launching hits on the PCs based on their particular strengths and weaknesses--an aura-seeing blind wizard was attacked by a pure mortal with a gun with no warning, she took a severe consequence for it; a fire-blasting wizard was sent a fireproof dragon and a bunch of bugs who hit her with a specifically anti-magic poison.

Don't be hesitant to use compels to remove or dampen the PCs' biggest advantages. Someone throwing 7-shift fire spells around and annihilating any monster he fights? Make him fight in close quarters and compel that to say the heat's overwhelming when he casts a spell--or throw them up against human goons and compel that magic is too likely to kill them. A wizard depends on his faerie-craft sword for magic boosts and the offhand weapon stunt? Declare he's fencing someone with an iron sword and the contact with the steel makes him drop the sword.

I'm against fudging the dice rolls, but what I have done is partial successes--blowing a roll to get the objective out of a safe doesn't mean you don't get it, but it may mean you set off the alarm or you take too long and the other thieves show up. A blown lore check means you're almost right, but for one important detail. (Think along the lines of: "You don't see any traps...")
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:18:03 PM »
I'm against fudging the dice rolls, but what I have done is partial successes--blowing a roll to get the objective out of a safe doesn't mean you don't get it, but it may mean you set off the alarm or you take too long and the other thieves show up. A blown lore check means you're almost right, but for one important detail. (Think along the lines of: "You don't see any traps...")

What I like about that is it's in keeping with Jim Butcher's "how to end a chapter" answers: "Yes. Which is a boring terrible answer. Yes but...which is more common and more fun. No. Which is fun but must be used sparingly or it gets too disheartening. No and FURTHERMORE...which is like No but more hardcore."

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Sometimes fudging dice rolls needs to happen,....
Then why are you rolling dice?
Its cheating/rail roading, plain and simple.
Like others have said, partial success and all that works better

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »
You roll dice 99.999% of the time. The dice are just there to add the element of chance. The important part is what the heroes decide. And if a bad dice roll discourages a player from taking chances, thinking creatively, or otherwise growing as a player, I have no problem going "Hey, wow! You JUST made it! Here's how that falls out. Now what?"

I don't fudge die rolls to make the heroes LOSE (though God help me it's tempting when my BBEG looks like Timmy Stumblenuts when he can't make one example setting smite attack).

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
This isn't D&D.  You'll never have to worry about "accidently" killing a player or TPKing your group.  There's really no need to fudge dice(no pun intended) in DFRPG.  Here's why:

1.  You only roll the dice when there's going to be an interesting consequence for failing/success.  You should have some fun stuff planned if a player fails a roll.
2. Players can concede
3. GM can dictate a Take Out.

So, if the BBEG rolls an incredibly lucky roll and takes a pc out, the GM says, "o.k you're taken out. you wake up 6 hours later on some musty stone floor, tied up and missing an eye. "

Now there's some interesting Rping to be had.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
No yeah, sure. I'm familiar with that tactic. Hell, "taken out" is one of the mechanics I love MOST about the game for that reason.  But again, if my player, who has a history of wallflowering decides to go out on a limb and attempt awesome, and then rolls too poorly to pull it off, I'll try and coach them through every option to add shifts, and if it's still not enough, "Hey! Whaddya know! Ya barely made it!" Or "Okay, that's as good as it gets, lets see if the other guy wins his opposing roll...Nope! Your brilliant plan succeeds!" Again, it's rare, but if dice rolls get in the way of fun? Forget dice. The most satisfying moments I've had in a game, both as a player and as a GM are when the players come up with a scheme so brilliantly simple and self evident that no roll is required.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
So...how about this. Have you ever just "hand waved" a NPC death?
Basically, Harrys going to take out the low level mook, thats not interesting, its interesting what happens because of that.
I've had people take Law breaker because they go "So I shoot a Fireball at him" and I have to say, "Dont bother rolling, it hits him, he's dead"
mechanically conceding before he rolls (you can concede to death, its been covered)
So if you can do that in the game, why fudge rolls?

Taran nails it with "This isn't D&d" and thank Christ for that.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
GM Don'ts:
 - Don't plan PC actions.  PCs are a part of the world you don't control. 
GM Do's:
 - Plan antagonist goals and resources.  When you know those it's easy to figure out how they'll react to unexpected PC actions.
 - Remember to use immaterial rewards on occasion.  Titles, favors, contacts, fame, information, etc...they'll often be more valuable to the PCs/players simply because they're rare. 
 - Make things personal.  A villain harming one of the PCs' friends/allies/contacts has more of an immediate impact than slaughtering an entire town of strangers. 
 - Change the game focus regularly to highlight each PC's expertise.  Don't leave the social adept in the background all of the time by running nothing but combat...and vice versa.

-------------------------

Regarding fudging, I don't think it's necessary* but, if it is for some reason, fudge in the open.  If you're attempting to hide fudging it's probably because someone would object.  In other words, because it's not fun for everyone.  This get's really egregious when the fudging is purely for the GM's fun.

*If failure isn't interesting, don't roll.  Besides, negating any given roll is trivial within the rules.  Just suggest a few Declarations.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:46:14 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:10:44 AM »
1: Shoot first. Preferably with snipers. If your NPC is determined to kill the players, don't have them stroll casually into the street 50 feet in front of the PC's and ready automatic weapons. Have them walk up behind a PC and shoot them in the back with a shotgun as the PC goes to unlock the car door to his Beetle or shoot them with a scoped rifle from a building half a mile away.
I strongly oppose this and anything like this (which is sort of half your list). If I want to, I can just drop a fridge and say "You are dead, because I said so". I've actually had things like this happen to me, and no good GM I've come across does this. I'm all for a tough challenge, but this is not a challenge, this is one sided warfare. Do this as an ambush and it works. But "shot, you are dead" doesn't only kill the character, it kills the story. Every game I had with GMs that employed this method was filled with game stopping paranoia by the players towards the GM.

Throwing something against the players that's stronger than they are is easy. Throwing something that the players will be able to beat marginally and with a big price to pay and that they feel good about beating, that's the art of creating the opposition. All you said about creating them intelligent and things like that belong to that. There are some hero/villain tropes that can and should be invoked here, I think. The overconfident villain, for example.

Tropes are your friend. Tropes are tropes for a reason, it's because they work. That doesn't mean you have to shovel tropes into your game just because you like them. But if you break it down, there is only a finite number of things that can happen. They can have a lot of different colors, but under the hood, they are all the same. That means whether or not you are using tropes willingly, you are going to use them nonetheless. Knowing what tropes you use and knowing what tropes your players use in their characters can help you identify what your game is and can be about. It can show you what kind of tropes can work well with others, when it would fit to invert a trope and so on. This is basically craftsmanship for writers that is a great tool in the GM's toolbox as well.
Where I agree with fantazero is, that tropes become stale, when you use the same one over and over again.

Rule of Cool:
If you think an action is too cool to fail, don't roll. Otherwise, one of three things will happen:
1) the player succeeds and all is well
2) the player fails but you decide the action is too cool to let it go. Basically 1), but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
3) the player fails and the cool action is lost
Really only 1) is what I am looking for, so why bother with the rest?
Now it's important to notice that cool =/= powerful. Sure it is cool if the hero strikes down the big bad with one stroke, but that's something he'll still have to roll for. But making a cool move to get close or tinkering a cool contraption or anything that will help in a cool way can be done without much rolling. Or, in fact, the heroic sacrifice can be done without rolling or counting any numbers (just mentioning this, because it just happened in my game).

Something's happening offstage.
Basically, what some of you already said about NPCs and their plans, wishes, families and such. NPCs have plans, and they are going to go through with them. I address this by roughly playing things out offstage. The players don't see what's happening, and I usually don't roll, but something is happening and that's going to affect the story. I don't keep a strict timeframe here, things are happening at the pace of the plot. If the players are going to stop something from happening, it means they'll arrive at a critical moment to do so. But it also means that they won't be at the other two places where something else is happening.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 01:36:20 AM »
I strongly oppose this and anything like this (which is sort of half your list). If I want to, I can just drop a fridge and say "You are dead, because I said so". I've actually had things like this happen to me, and no good GM I've come across does this. I'm all for a tough challenge, but this is not a challenge, this is one sided warfare. Do this as an ambush and it works. But "shot, you are dead" doesn't only kill the character, it kills the story. Every game I had with GMs that employed this method was filled with game stopping paranoia by the players towards the GM.

Throwing something against the players that's stronger than they are is easy. Throwing something that the players will be able to beat marginally and with a big price to pay and that they feel good about beating, that's the art of creating the opposition. All you said about creating them intelligent and things like that belong to that. There are some hero/villain tropes that can and should be invoked here, I think. The overconfident villain, for example.

Tropes are your friend. Tropes are tropes for a reason, it's because they work. That doesn't mean you have to shovel tropes into your game just because you like them. But if you break it down, there is only a finite number of things that can happen. They can have a lot of different colors, but under the hood, they are all the same. That means whether or not you are using tropes willingly, you are going to use them nonetheless. Knowing what tropes you use and knowing what tropes your players use in their characters can help you identify what your game is and can be about. It can show you what kind of tropes can work well with others, when it would fit to invert a trope and so on. This is basically craftsmanship for writers that is a great tool in the GM's toolbox as well.
Where I agree with fantazero is, that tropes become stale, when you use the same one over and over again.

Rule of Cool:
If you think an action is too cool to fail, don't roll. Otherwise, one of three things will happen:
1) the player succeeds and all is well
2) the player fails but you decide the action is too cool to let it go. Basically 1), but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
3) the player fails and the cool action is lost
Really only 1) is what I am looking for, so why bother with the rest?
Now it's important to notice that cool =/= powerful. Sure it is cool if the hero strikes down the big bad with one stroke, but that's something he'll still have to roll for. But making a cool move to get close or tinkering a cool contraption or anything that will help in a cool way can be done without much rolling. Or, in fact, the heroic sacrifice can be done without rolling or counting any numbers (just mentioning this, because it just happened in my game).

Something's happening offstage.
Basically, what some of you already said about NPCs and their plans, wishes, families and such. NPCs have plans, and they are going to go through with them. I address this by roughly playing things out offstage. The players don't see what's happening, and I usually don't roll, but something is happening and that's going to affect the story. I don't keep a strict timeframe here, things are happening at the pace of the plot. If the players are going to stop something from happening, it means they'll arrive at a critical moment to do so. But it also means that they won't be at the other two places where something else is happening.
How do you hug someone over the internet ?

Offline Xandarth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 04:56:32 AM »
Haru - both of those examples are taken from the novel themselves and that advice was intended for setting up your NPC's intended actions, not what actually happens. Things go wrong for NPC's too, plans go awry, they make fumbles and you should try to make this as natural feeling as possible.

As I stressed, the important thing is to build tension in the scene and to add to the challenge of the scene without simply adding to the stats of the NPC. Obviously instant fatalities in any RPG are a form of railroading and should be avoided.

First example, a goon shooting someone in the back is a perfect example. The goon in question in the books stood no chance in a standup fight with the player and since the NPC has asked around and been told the player is a bad-ass who regularly kicks the butts of anyone who gets in their way, the npc opts to start conflict with a backstab (well back shot) since he knew in a direct confrontation things would likely go badly for him.

Now as a GM, it's up to you to provide multiple avenues for the players to act. So in that scenario, first there are perception rolls to see if they recognise the shooter (who works for a well known underworld figure making that a possibility). Then you have the NPC attempting to sneak up on the player (giving them an appropriate penalty for carrying a non-concealable weapon like a shotgun. Then as a bonus chance see how quickly the player gets into the car giving themselves partial cover. Obviously in the book the dice rolls went badly for the character who is still fumbling for their keys when the npc gets close enough to begin their attack.

But then you have the NPC penalised for not having gotten enough information about the player and they unload the shotgun directly into the armored longcoat of the PC instead of aiming for a headshot. Then combat begins. The NPC's has gained a small advantage by managing to inflict a minor wound on the player but ultimately the players are able to recover from the scenario.

By simply modifying the NPC's behaviour you've increased the tension of scene as well as the difficulty of the encounter but by no means has it made the encounter un-winnable.

Compare that to say a scene that begins with "You see 2 men walk into the street. They are holding shotguns and looking your way with hostility gleaming from their eyes. Roll initiative. What do you do?" By making the way you begin combat routine, you make gameplay stale. If you can add an element of panic to the players responses in a combat scene you will get a more involved roleplaying. There's a reason Jim has Harry or his companions getting shot at the start of an scene in so many of his novels... it's more dramatic that way.

-----------------------

The same with using snipers. Don't have them immediately one-shot a PC. That gonna lead to a terrible story... unless a player has specifically asked you to do that to them as a dramatic exit or the like anyway. ;)
(click to show/hide)

Before you do a scene like that watch pretty much any Hollywood film ever that has the protagonist attacked by snipers. Typically the first shot narrowly misses (you decide if you want to use some trope like coffee getting shot or an innocent bystander walking in front of the protagonist at just the right time), it lightly wounds one of the characters or the character is warned at the last second. Then the protagonist dives for cover and tries to come up with a plan.

The distance between them and their attacker is what adds to the challenge here (plus the surprise). What do they do? Do they try to escape or try to close ground with their assailant? Perhaps they sit still and call for backup to help them out. Any approach the players attempt has a stream of smaller challenges for the players to navigate.

If they choose to run they need to come up with an escape plan, keep under cover as well as determine if there is more than one assailant. If they choose to fight they need to work out where the bad guys are and find some way of striking back. If they call for backup from other PC's maybe you start switching the action back and forth between two locations. If they call for backup from NPC's maybe have them have to act to help the NPC's aid them (locate the enemy / blind them by reflecting light off some glass etc).

Maybe you add some side challenges as well, like rescuing an innocent bystander who has been injured by the sniper and providing medical care to them, or having to run back through sniper fire to grab the briefcase a player dropped when the shooting started or whatever.

All these challenges add to the difficulty of the encounter, call for a wider range of skill use making it more likely all the characters will feel useful, and can be done with fairly low powered enemies. The same enemy with a weapon doing similar damage in a straight up fight is not going to be as interesting, but that's why it's important to add extra challenges that aren't directly stat derived to all encounters.