Author Topic: Just a simple question...  (Read 1368 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Just a simple question...
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:23:44 AM »
I want to make a sorcerer who grew up as a pool hustler/player.  Should I give him a skill (perhaps a stunt that comes from either Athletics or Performance, mebbe Deceit) to reflect that, or should as Aspect do it?
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: Just a simple question...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33:10 AM »
Since pool isn't merely a physical endeavor but a combination of physical and mental (doing the math and angles), I would almost consider it a Performance stunt. You are performing a task that requires skill, practice, and coordination. To represent hustling, I would probably restrict it by your Deceit skill since you are trying to get them to up their bets. Looking over the skills there isn't really a clear cut answer for that one.

An aspect that could be invoked would be good too if you wanted to go that route since it kind of defines you.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
Is your pool skill going to matter in play? Are you going to make money by playing pool, or somehow solve problems by playing pool?

If so, a stunt would be appropriate. If not, there's no point.

Even if you do take a stunt, an Aspect is probably a good idea. It's part of who you are, right?

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver Files Campaign
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
I'd suggest you to ask yourself: how do your plan to emphasyse your character's background?

If you don't plan to work as a pool hustler (whatever it is %) ), treat it as an aspect. It is a quality of the character, which can afford help in some situations, though complain other.
If you do plan to work and actively BE a pool hustler in the game, feel free to model it with skills and stunts. You want to show the skills other hustlers have.

Upd. I've read the wiki page on hustlers, and, if you choose the skills/stunts variant, I recommend all of the skills you've mentioned. Deceit, Performance and Intimidation, except you have a stunt, for example, allowing you to roll a trapping of one skill for another.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:32:48 AM by Leeder »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:58 AM »
Is your pool skill going to matter in play?
This.

Go with the aspect.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer