Author Topic: Venomous  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Venomous
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
That could work. Though I would turn the poisoned aspect inert entirely. You are still poisoned, but it no longer has an effect on you during the conflict, until it is reapplied (by an action, there's now more poison in your system, or by a Fate point)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »
Maybe not to take the teeth out of venomous completely, you could say you need two consecutive rolls to make it inert.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »
Well, you can usually remove an aspect with a simple roll, as long as it isn't a consequence. Since the poison aspect remains and still has to be dealt with after the fight, it's still quite powerful, even if it isn't all powerful during the combat any more. The inert status doesn't mean you aren't poisoned any more, it means you temporarily don't have negative effects from it.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »
Is the power as written really that powerful? If you use it, you don't deal stress on that hit, and anybody who has it necessarily also has Claws, so I don't really see it as all that useful...

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 08:17:45 PM »
If you successfully poison a victim, you get to attack twice, and one time you even get to decide the defense skill. 2 small hits each exchange will wear someone down far quicker than +2 to stress will, since it fills 2 stress boxes at once. Doesn't have to, of course, but the chance is very well there, since you probably have fists at a high level anyway.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »
If you successfully poison a victim, you get to attack twice, and one time you even get to decide the defense skill. 2 small hits each exchange will wear someone down far quicker than +2 to stress will, since it fills 2 stress boxes at once. Doesn't have to, of course, but the chance is very well there, since you probably have fists at a high level anyway.

Yeah, and that's probably true - if all you have is Claws.

But lots of things have Strength powers too, and then you're giving up even more stress. The only things that have Venomous in OW are the Hecatean Hag and Victor  Sells' Scorpions - both of which have Inhuman Strength.

Most things I've wanted to give it to, seem to do better just with regular attacks...

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 11:41:28 PM »
Venomous is the single target counter point to zone attacks. That said, a lot of the things you would want it against are the same things that are going to mostly shrug it off, additionally, inflicting Poisoned is a maneuver, so you are surrendering your initial attack (and any alpha effects), gambling that you will be able to survive your opponent's alpha strike.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:49 PM »
I was just thinking recently about monsters... you walk into a den of 5 creatures, you whack a few, then run away.  Most creatures don't have access to "medical attention".  So you wait a while, come back again later and whack a few.  It's a simplistic example but my point is this:

At what point do decided, "they've fought off the poison" and leave it at that?  Or do you do that?  Eventually it will kill them.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
If the targets aren't taken out, then the follow on consequences don't come into play. As the total strength of the poison attack is your fists rating, high endurance and a bit of toughness are going to make the Poisoned state mostly irrelevant. If you can strike and disengage without substantial resource expenditure and without time pressure, whats stopping you from just taking them out in the first place (possibly one at a time)?

As for 'when' the monsters shrug it off (assuming they aren't taken out), they shrug it off at the point where the make a maneuver roll sufficient to remove the Poisoned aspect. If you are lucky, they will spend a consequence to help make the roll, but as you've disengaged, the only thing they have to worry about is the poison itself, so, to some extent, they are at their leisure to maneuver to provide enough tags to remove it (be those endurance maneuvers, magic, survival, etc).

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
Except the only maneuver which counters poison is a scholarship roll...which, I guess, anyone can do but the difficulty is the person's fists roll.

Maybe I'd just rule that if the person isn't taken out by the poison by the end of the scene, the poison is neutralized.  Technically an aspect doesn't last for longer than a scene anyways...

Which is another question:  If the aspect is fragile, then, I guess, the on-going damage would only go on for 1 exchange?

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
Except the only maneuver which counters poison is a scholarship roll...which, I guess, anyone can do but the difficulty is the person's fists roll.

This is incorrect. The requirement for medical attention only comes into play AFTER the poison target is taken out. Before they are taken out, Poisoned has no special requirements for being removed.