Author Topic: Dryads and Nymphs  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Crazy Wilhelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
Dryads and Nymphs
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:22 PM »
Does anyone know anything concrete about Dryads and Nymphs in the setting? I've only been able to find the barest mentions of these sorts of beings so far. I'm especially curious how..."tree-sy" Dryads would or wouldn't be; Nymphs are probably pretty straight forward, such that a storyteller could wing it on that front.
Any ideas or solid facts would be greatly appreciated

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Dryads and Nymphs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
From what I know (and it might not be accurate)Dryads are the spirits of trees and they sometimes come out and tempt men to follow them...

So maybe a large tree is a place where the Dryad can travel between the mortal realm and the nevernever.  I'd make it a 'demense' (as per the power) so it suits their personality.  The demense is attached to the tree, so if the tree dies, so does the dryad.

I think, in all other respects, they're basically nymphs.

On top of demense, Maybe give them a sponsored magic(summer) and/or incite emotion(lust?).  If they have a recovery/toughness power make the catch Axes and Fire.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:28:40 AM by Taran »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »
I think, in all other respects, they're basically nymphs.
Dryads are tree nymphs. Nymphs are "minor female nature deities typically associated with a particular location or landform" (wikipedia).

Btw, if I want to include something into a game that hasn't had much spotlight in the novels, I just hit wikipedia and steal what I can find. ;)

I guess I would play nymphs like lesser shide, humanoid faeries with some floral/watery attributes. Probably "sponsored magic" that's associated with the location she is attached to. As they are associated with a lot of growing stuff, I'd give them a recovery power as well, and if you have a tree nymph she can maybe use toughness as well. Cold Iron as the usual faerie catch should suffice.

If you look at the wikipedia page, there are tons of different types of nymphs, depending on where they live and what they do. They are described pretty well, so there should be tons of stuff for you to build them.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:37:48 AM »
Dryad (Walking the Beach)

High Concept: Wyldfae Tree Spirit
Other Aspects: Bound to My Tree; Seasonal Allegiance; Mortals are my Playthings
Skills:
Great (+4): Rapport
Good (+3): Survival, Deceit
Fair (+2): Athletics, Stealth
Average (+1): Alertness, Conviction, Endurance, Investigation, Might, Presence
Stunts:
Alluring (Deceit): As a child of nature, you have centuries of experience in charming mortals. You gain a +2 to Deceit checks for seduction attempts.
Traceless (Stealth): You don’t seem to leave footprints. The difficulty to track your movements is 2 shifts higher.
One with the Trees (Stealth): You are a master of arboreal subterfuge. Add two to your Stealth as long as you are in woodlands, and the difficulty of moving stealthily through plant-based borders is reduced by two.
Powers:
Glamours [-2]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
The Catch [+4] is cold iron and such, as well as fire
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:
Stress:
Mental OOO
Physical OOO(OOOO), Armor:2
Social OOO

Nereid (On The Beach)

High Concept: Sea Nymph
Other Aspects: Daughter Of Nereus, Handmaid Of Poseidon, Friend To Sailors
Skills:
Good: Rapport, Empathy
Fair: Survival, Performance, Presence
Average: Lore, Conviction, Craftsmanship
Powers:
Marked By Power (Poseidon) [-1]
Aquatic [-1]
True Shapeshifting [-4]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline Crazy Wilhelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
Neat, I was thinking of some similar sorts of things. We'll probably just assemble something like your suggestions when and if we need it. Thanks!

Taran, when you were talking about Tree Demesnes, did you have in mind a great big tree that's here, there, or in both places? Did you mean like a big tree that kinda bridges the divide between Nevernever and our realm? Demesnes are pockets of personal power in the Nevernever per fluff, right?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:30:42 PM »
Usually a dryad is a spirit of a specific tree, so I saw it that a specific dryad's tree would act as the portal to her pocket space in the nevernever where she could cross over.  The inside can probably reflect the personality of the dryad.  A diseased tree might look different than a healthy one and it might even cause the dryad to seek help...or if it's been cursed cause the dryad to be malevolent etc...

I would think that if the tree was destroyed, then that part of the nevernever would cease to exist.  It might be cool too if, when the tree is destroyed, if the dryad isn't in it, she'll slowly die unless she find an uninhabited tree.