Author Topic: Handing out Enchanted Items  (Read 1807 times)

Dr.FunLove

Handing out Enchanted Items
« on: August 08, 2013, 03:35:05 AM »
If a wizard creates an enchanted item, say a potion or a charm, and gives it to someone else it still counts against their item slot total. At least that's my understanding of it. Someone chime in here because, if my understanding is correct, then how did Luccio manage to arm a company's worth or more of Wardens with their Swords?

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Handing out Enchanted Items
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:41:08 AM »
If a wizard creates an enchanted item, say a potion or a charm, and gives it to someone else it still counts against their item slot total. At least that's my understanding of it. Someone chime in here because, if my understanding is correct, then how did Luccio manage to arm a company's worth or more of Wardens with their Swords?
Because those Wardens are wizards with their own item slots. So the Wardens use their items slot for enchanted items with Lore requirements too high for them. A rule twink "justified" by in-game logic.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:41:29 AM »
It's a mechanical way to limit how many badass items a wizard can carry in this game.

If you look at how the warden swords are done in the book, they are enchanted items that use up the wizards enchanted item slots, not Luccio's. I've got a player in my game that uses enchanted items without being able to create them himself. He just bought the slots for them. If it is an integral part of the character, it is counted against their own slots, not the creators slots. The rule you are mentioning is there to keep a wizard from just cooking up tons of stuff and giving it to his allies, while pointing out that since he doesn't have the items, his slots are free.

You could have a group concept, where everyone takes 1 refresh worth of refinement for enchanted items, and narratively you say it's not the character that creates them, but the wizard of the group. That would shift the slots over to the character that is going to use the item.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:13:33 AM »
Ahhhh...I got it. So I can pawn off items onto people with appropriate slots. Interesting...very interesting. That helps a bit, thanks.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:06 AM »
Well, I should probably point out that this is a houserule. I believe by RAW, you can't buy Refinement without having one of the Spellcasting abilities. But it makes enough sense to me, that I allow it, as long as people aren't abusing it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »
From a mechanical standpoint, this is why potions can be so effective.  Anyone can use them, not just the wizard who made them, the trade off being that they are one time use (barring frequency upgrades to potions).

How someone gets an enchanted item is really just narrative fluff, the player that's using it still needs a appropriate slot.  Though isn't their a rule where you can spend extra slots on enchanted items to allow them to be useable by other players?

You could also use the temporary powers rule, using the wizard crafting enchanted items for the player/s as narrative reasoning.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:51:07 AM »
I believe the rule is -1 from the strength of the EI in question to allow someone else to utilize them. I am ASSUMING that means regardless of available slots, but it isn't clear in the rules. Though that would explain the statistical anomaly between the Lucio sheet in the Resource Section and the stats on the Warden Sword. If a wizard uses up there own slot for it, they wouldn't use a point of the effectiveness of the item.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 06:15:36 AM »
The canon is vague here. The Warden swords seem to operate on secret rules that aren't actually written in the books.

For example, they can be used in two different ways. And their uses are shared between those ways. There's nothing in the books that lets you make items like that.

So yeah, there seem to be secret rules which can only be discovered through inference. Makes me feel like I'm studying a religious text.

Well, I should probably point out that this is a houserule. I believe by RAW, you can't buy Refinement without having one of the Spellcasting abilities. But it makes enough sense to me, that I allow it, as long as people aren't abusing it.

Refinement has no Musts, actually. But all of the Templates which get it have spellcasting as a Must, so...it's ambiguous.

And whether you can take up other people's items at full strength is also unclear. The Warden sword implies that you can, but I'm inclined to ignore that implication for balance reasons.

Spending Refresh on the ability to craft increases the value of every Refresh point you spend on item slots. Sharing that benefit with your whole team can make for some monstrously powerful groups.

I expect toturi can demonstrate, though he probably wouldn't have a problem with the demonstrated group. If I recall correctly the guy plays at a very high level of optimization.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 06:34:25 AM »
I expect toturi can demonstrate, though he probably wouldn't have a problem with the demonstrated group. If I recall correctly the guy plays at a very high level of optimization.
It makes for a more powerful group as a whole, but this is a good thing. The group becomes more powerful, but no individual within that group is likely to overshadow any other simply due to this sharing alone. Certainly it makes the crafter/enchanter guy more useful but wizard types are highly versatile characters in the first place.

Almost certainly Lore for that particular individual with crafting abilities is going to be pinned to be apex and make him more predictable, since it is not only himself that is relying on his Lore. It is not easy to have a 2 skill apex, it is damn nigh pain in the behind to have a 3 skill apex - so it is unlikely that a crafting wizard will have CDL all as apex skills.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear