Author Topic: Genuis and Zeitgeist and Bears (oh my!)  (Read 1189 times)

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Genuis and Zeitgeist and Bears (oh my!)
« on: July 30, 2013, 02:00:12 AM »
Sorry for the title, couldn't resist. I'm looking into writing a Genius Loci character up for my setting, and I ran across Zeitgeist. For those that don't want to look them up - one means 'spirit of the location' and the other means 'spirit of the age'.

So, this has me thinking, how would a Zeitgeist manifest? For my Genuis Loci I would like to stat up an immensely powerful incorporeal spirit - would a Zeitgeist be the same? Perhaps there are multiple Zeitgeist - only one that represents the present but hundreds of old, retired ones. Perhaps a new one is created every year, or whenever there is a major shift in ideas - like every 10 years or so? Or perhaps its a bit of each - one is born each year, but over time the similiar ones tend to group together and merge so that the older they are, the more time they represent.

My other problem is defining 'immensely powerful' - what kinds of abilities would Loci and Zeitgeist have aside from the obvious? I want to say they only have a modified version of spellcasting available: they lack the creativity mortals have, but can enforce the ideals they stand for.

Any thoughts? How would you stat up either in full? Any thoughts on Zeitgeist?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
Re: Genuis and Zeitgeist and Bears (oh my!)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:22:05 AM »
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Century_Babies

That might be helpful for the Zeitgeist. the "major shift in ideas" could be represented fairly easily- each "age" (Bronze Age, Iron Age, Crusades, Rome, Industrial, Internet, etc) has an anthropomorphic personification known as a Zeitgeist with powers revolving around that Age's theme.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.