Author Topic: Non-Human PC  (Read 1806 times)

Offline camhawk

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Non-Human PC
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:01:44 AM »
I am looking to start up a campaign and have several players that have great character concepts, but ...

How are others handling PC's who would obviously stick out as being not human.  Its not like a mythological creature or two can stroll the streets without notice.  I hate to crush some of these idea's so I guess I am looking for how to best integrate something like that into a city without ruining their fun. 

Magicpockets

Re: Non-Human PC
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17:10 AM »
Have them take the Human Guise power, which masks them as human as long as they don't use powers. E.g. Ghouls can pass as Humans, but as soon as they use their Stength/Speed/Claws, they revert back to their hideous self.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
Alternatively, suggest that they play a human scion of such a mythological creature, thereby gaining access to (at least some of) the storied powers of the great beasts while still being able to walk into a crowded room without causing all the poor human cattle to pass out from shock and fear.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
You could embrace the problem. Have your non-human PCs take Aspects like STICKS OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB and Compel those to make trouble for them.

A game where one of the major challenges is just walking around in public might not be for everyone, but I think it could be fun.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
Yeah, most mythological creatures have some kind of glamour, or shapeshifting, or something that lets them appear human (if they don't already). Sancta's suggestion is also a good one.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Alternatively, you might have to break the sad truth to the player that playing a mythological creature in the human world would be incompatible with the setting. For supernatural creatures, living in the human world without some way to hide your true nature is a good way to get killed and dissected. Just because the rules are there doesn't mean you CAN do it.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »
I'd also point out that Human Guise is a -0 power - and what can you do with powers?  Why, you can tie them into items of power.  So even a supernatural thing that has no natural excuse for shapeshifting can still get the human guise power... they just need a good story for why they have an appropriate artifact.  Here's an example:

Talisman of the Frozen Mirage:  Typically appearing as a simple silver brooch or cloak-pin, this item is always cold to the touch; when opened, it shows a picture of its current owner's true form, against a backdrop of glacial ice.  Given the item's powers of illusion, any further details of its appearance are up to the current owner.
* Requirements: An aspect describing your character's connection to the winter fae you got the talisman from - something like "Three Favors Owed to Lord Talkoth" (if you traded for this artifact) or "Hunted by Malks" (if you stole it from someone), or, etc.
  Note that this aspect can also be compelled when the talisman's limitations come into play - as a winter artifact, it can't make a realistic illusion of flame, nor can it conceal your shadow if that shadow is cast by firelight.
* Powers: Human Guise, Glamours
* Total Cost: -1 (Since the artifact grants glamours, it is by definition easily concealable, for a maximum bonus of +1 to offset the -2 cost of glamours.)

Offline McNulty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »
You could embrace the problem. Have your non-human PCs take Aspects like STICKS OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB and Compel those to make trouble for them.

In most cases you don't even need to do that as you can compel their high concept (which should relate to their non-human aspect in one way or another).

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Maybe they won't stick out in a large city...
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »
Human Guise is designed for this, as others have mentioned.

Human Form is also good (it gives you more of that tasty refresh), but requires that you have an explanation as to why you can shapeshift. 

Glamours can do it.  That's why most of the fey have it.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
Well, if they appear in the right place and time, such as a gaming-onvention or during halloween, noone is going to wonder too much about it, even if they ome in their non-human form.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...