Author Topic: Sponsored Magic Debt  (Read 1725 times)

Offline btorgin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic Debt
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry if I missed this, I didn't see it in other posts.

When one incurs debt with their sponsor and get compelled, if they pay a fate point to avoid the compel, does that pay back a point of debt?  Or does it simply avoid the compel and the debt remains until they do something for the sponsor?

I'm inclined to think it avoids the compel and the debt remains. 

Also, if a character racks up a large debt, wouldn't it be more likely to get a compel to do something larger, more dramatic to wipe their entire debt clean?  Like, a single fate point is do me a favor back.  5 or 10 fate points would be lead an assault against the sponsor's enemy, steal something very valuable, really hurt, possibly assassinate an enemy, etc.

Thank You
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:49:54 PM by btorgin »

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic Debt
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
You have the "refuse the debt" correct.

Perhaps. But you may want to keep track of how many times you compel the other person to get them to go on that track individually instead.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline btorgin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
Or I could read the side bar discussion with Harry and Will and see they cover my exact question.  Refusing the compel does not wipe away the debt.   ;D

Also, you make an excellent point that using multiple compels is a great way to push them about and into bigger and badder situations, even if a single compel isn't that big. 

Thanks!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
If he has lots of debt, you can just keep compelling him more.  Eventually, he'll run out of FP's and be forced to take the compel.  You could also escalate a compel so that it costs him more to pay it off. 

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:24 AM »
If a player refuses a Compel, you should either escalate or move on.  You should not simply present the same Compel again and again until they run out of the means (or the will) to refuse.  That's what's called by the technical term 'a dick move'.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:57:37 AM »
If a player refuses a Compel, you should either escalate or move on.  You should not simply present the same Compel again and again until they run out of the means (or the will) to refuse.  That's what's called by the technical term 'a dick move'.

Nah...that's not what I'm saying.

I'm just saying that compels become more narratively justified the more in debt you are.  I'm not saying repeat the same compel over and over.  Depending on the sponsors agenda, there could be lots to do and lots of opportunities for a variety of compels.

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »

Well, depends on how you go about doing it. The trick is to remember that if they bought off a compel, that's worth something. Give them their fate points value.

Now, on the other hand, if you start throwing a daily compel at a character (as in, actively reduce his refreshed pool of faint points by one unless he complies) - it's not such a big deal. I would highly reccomend coming up with new and interesting compels as much as possible, but nothing simulates being naggingly and constantly drawn to a task like it predictably trying to get you to do something on a regular basis.

Offline btorgin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 04:53:54 PM »
The RAW says that you should not do the same exact compel.  If the player bought out of it then that potential complication is done and you need to find a new one.  Otherwise, there's not much point in refusing the compel.  :)