Author Topic: Another Question...  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Yokomsa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Another Question...
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »
Would you be willing to start a list literary publishing companies that when the time comes, I can send my packet and start to get my rejection letters?  I plan on keeping every letter until I get the acceptance letter!  :P
Seriously... I am only here for the food!

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Another Question...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »
hey thats a good idea, cause then when you become a super famous writer, you can send the rejection letters back with a little note saying "i told you so" ;D
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »
Are you planning on sending your stories directly to a publisher, or do you want to try and get a literary agent first? Two very different areas of the business. For publishers, check out:

http://www.sfsite.com/depts/press01.htm

For literary agents, do a search on AgentQuery.com and cross-check with Preditors and Editors (http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm)

There are other, more detailed links under the Writers Resources spot on my website. If you have anymore questions, hoist 'em up here.
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline Yokomsa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »
I think that I should get an agent because family isn't objective!

This is all so new to me and I really thank you for the link to your personal website.  I am planning to pour over the other websites as well.

I finally decided to get serious about my writing when I took my hubby (who is the Dresden Fan and I am a fan of the writer) to meet Jim Butcher. (Jim lives 1/2 hour from me) and he said some things that I really took to heart.  Then a few years back I met Janet Evanovich and she explained her mechanics of writing.  So between the 2 of them, I am developing my own style.

Right now, I am in the process of profiling my characters, outlining the book, and writing down random thoughts of brillance.  Once I have that in place, the words will flow.

Here is an interesting thought-   Harry Dresden and Stephanie Plum... WIERD hookup!!
Seriously... I am only here for the food!

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
I've said this a dozen times around here, but I definitely recommend literary agents.  Predators and Editors is a great site for agent info too, and be sure to check out ones like AbsoluteWrite and Backspace too.  Good luck!
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 05:33:05 PM »
I'm in this process now.  I decided to start with an agent search, because they know much more about the business.  And most agents are pretty quick to get back to you.  I've heard from most within a month (some much sooner).  If all the agents I query reject me, then I'll query publishers.

Agentquery.com is good for agents.

Writers Market (a publication) is good for publishers.

PS:  Yokomsa, I actually live in Independence.  Whenever I go to Barnes and Nobles I'm on the lookout for Jim.  Of course, he might be a Borders, or even Amazon, kind of guy.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?