Author Topic: Powers for a Reaper/Shinigami Scion character?  (Read 1793 times)

Magicpockets

Powers for a Reaper/Shinigami Scion character?
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »
Hi all,
I will be playing a Reaper/Shinigami Scion in an upcoming game, and while I have the story part handled, I would like some input on power selection. Which powers do you think fit such a character thematically? I believe Ghost Speaker fits rather well, but other than that, I can't really decide on which route to go.

Also, for the purpose of draining someone's soul/life force, which power fits better: Blood Drinker or Emotional Vampire (assuming one does not have Incite Emotion)?

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Powers for a Reaper/Shinigami Scion character?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:19:13 PM »
There are different types of reaper / shinigami - you might want to explain the lore a bit more. In this setting, what is a true Shinigamis job? What would you like to do power wise?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
Hi all,
I will be playing a Reaper/Shinigami Scion in an upcoming game, and while I have the story part handled, I would like some input on power selection. Which powers do you think fit such a character thematically? I believe Ghost Speaker fits rather well, but other than that, I can't really decide on which route to go.
I'd give one Incite Emotion (Despair) plus Lasting Emotion and Potent Emotion and, possibly, a Supernatural Sense based around death.  If you're going for the full Shinigami power set I'd add Spirit Form and Domination with Possession.

That's going off the legends of them possessing people and causing suicides.  Did you have a different set of legends in mind?

Also, for the purpose of draining someone's soul/life force, which power fits better: Blood Drinker or Emotional Vampire (assuming one does not have Incite Emotion)?
Probably Emotional Vampire though either would work - the two are, in many ways, the same power with different skills and trappings.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Magicpockets

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
I didn't have a particular legend in mind, and came up with the character concept somewhat spontaneously. That said, we will be playing at Chest Deep, so the Refresh I have available will be somewhat limited.

Power wise, I would like to induce suicidal tendencies in people while also being a somewhat decent physical combatant, as all the other characters are either mages or non combatants.

Thus far, I've got this set of powers:
Ghost Speaker [-1] (not sure about its usefulness)
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
Catch: Holy [+2] (can't really think of a good one. Suggestions?)
Beast Change [-1]
Human Form [+1], affecting:
Claws [-1]
Wings [-1]

To fit in Incite Emotion, I would have to free up some points.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:54:51 PM by Magicpockets »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »
why not a scythe IoP instead of claws?

I don't understand what beast change is for.  Just for the skill shuffle? If you don't care about the skill shuffle, you can get rid of it all together and take Human form without beast change or Why not just human guise?

I'm thinking more reaper, obviously. 

Incite despair is what you need to make people commit suicide, I would think.

Magicpockets

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »
What would you put inside an IoP? Do note that the game will take place in modern day Tokyo, so carrying around an obvious weapon might not be feasible.

Beast Change is there to assume the Reaper form, and I kinda like the skill shuffle, since it allows me to focus on a social role in Human form. Ghost Speaker unfortunately keys of Contacts, so I might as well make the most of it methinks.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 12:31:34 AM »
dunno...I was just thinking a weapon instead of claws to save you refresh.

You could do a smaller less obvious IoP, but the scythe seemed more fitting for a "grim reaper" type character.

Maybe a false eye?  It gives you a bunch of incite powers...so when you look at people... :)

The Evil Eye!  Maybe not the best suggestion.  sorry.  :P

Maybe a mask instead.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:38:17 AM by Taran »

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 12:39:11 AM »
I have no idea if it fits the Shinigami concept the OP is looking for, but thanks for that false eye IoP, now I need to make an NPC with that!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 02:32:19 AM »
Catch idea: shinigami are vulnerable to attacks made with living weapons. A punch or a thrown cactus can hurt you easily, a sword or a thrown grenade can't.

That'd be a +3 Catch, so you'd be able to afford Incite Despair.

PS: If you're interested in custom Powers, I suggest you look at Dual Nature.
PPS: There are a whole bunch of eye IoPs on the list.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 04:28:40 AM »
in the lore I looked through, they seemed to basically be Skavis vampires, but starting from the other side of the grave. So go on the assumption that the Skavis family are all Shinigami scions, and work backwards from there.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."