Author Topic: Astral Projection  (Read 1378 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
Astral Projection
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
I have a player who wants to make a rote spell which allows him to astral project. My questions is would this just give him use of "Ghost Form" or is this even possible?

Another spell he proposed was one which would allow him to basically puppeteer someone using electricity. This one sounded iffy to me.

Would love some opinions.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Dr.FunLove

Re: Astral Projection
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »
Both very interesting spells!

I think an Astral Projection Evocation might get a little costly in terms of Mental Stress. Thaumaturgy is probably a better way to go and represent it with an Aspect. Also, a prefered method of many on the boards is that he wants to have a permanent ability for Astral Projection to model that as a Power that he buys, using his Spellcrafting powers as justification.

Hijacking the nervous system. Fun, fun, fun! I don't have an issue with the spell from a mechanically view or a Law stand point (though I think some people might split hairs on that). Again, a spell like that in Evocation would be costly but I think would be be modelled as a block against motor control. With Thaumaturgy it would be with consequences most likely.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »
They both sound like Thaumaturgy to me.

The second one seems like a possible psychomancy(if you allow mental evocation) maneuver or a full take-out result.

Remember that evocation is rough and direct.  Doing fine manipulations of people is more the realm of thaumaturgy. 

Maybe he could use electrical evocation to make people flinch and miss attacks by electrocuting them (represented as a block), but not actually control them.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate the input. This particular player likes coming up with complex ideas and leaves it to me to figure out how it would work.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:22:48 PM »
I think an attack on the physical nervous system is a bit different than psychomancy eh? In evocation the purposed puppetting spell could be used as a block against motor function. That may be a bit broad though, so that depends entirely on you taste lordoracle's .

Taran's totally right though: if something sounds too complex, when in doubt, defer to Thaumaturgy. Unless the player REALLY sells it to you or you both come up with a mutually agreeable solution via Evocation. Flexibility is da key.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »
Those definitely sound like Thaumaturgy to me.

If your player wants to astrally project often and reliably, I'd suggest taking this homebrew Power with the Projected upgrade.