Author Topic: Newbies ask the darnest things  (Read 41058 times)

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Newbies ask the darnest things
« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »
They're probably nocturnal because that's when they're most active, if they do sleep. As they're living beings I'd lean towards them needing to sleep, but I don't think there's anything in the series that says one way or the other.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
It also depends on their level of Recovery.  Higher levels of recovery let you stay up longer...but then they'd have to tap into those powers and that makes them Hungry...

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »
IIRC, it is implied a couple times that the Red Court do generally sleep during the day, but can be active if they need to be (such as the Tennis Twins in Grave Peril).
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline MadAlchemist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
I'd assume just about any RCV would be awake during the day if they are well connected or on guard. They are seriously limited due to the sun-burn problem, so assume resting if they don't have any reason not to.

Offline Saracen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 10, 2015, 08:15:06 PM »
Can anyone clarify the Cat and Mouse trapping under Deceit to me? Does it simply work like the Riposte example-stunt under Weapons (as in you defend with it and, if successful, you use the overflow shifts as an attack)?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2015, 02:29:27 AM »
Can anyone clarify the Cat and Mouse trapping under Deceit to me? Does it simply work like the Riposte example-stunt under Weapons (as in you defend with it and, if successful, you use the overflow shifts as an attack)?

I think they're using the word 'riposte' as description/adjective - not as a comparison to the stunt.

They are basically saying that you can use deceit as an attack skill for social conflict.  (like using weapons for a physical conflict)

The draw-back to using deceit instead of a skill like rapport is, if you fail to win, you will get caught in the lie.  Which can turn out worse for you if you simply failed to persuade them with the truth.

Deceit works better as a defensive skill (false face forward)because you can apply aspects on your opponent  as your defense - if  you're willing to lie.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:31:39 AM by Taran »

Offline Saracen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »
I think they're using the word 'riposte' as description/adjective - not as a comparison to the stunt.

They are basically saying that you can use deceit as an attack skill for social conflict.  (like using weapons for a physical conflict)

The draw-back to using deceit instead of a skill like rapport is, if you fail to win, you will get caught in the lie.  Which can turn out worse for you if you simply failed to persuade them with the truth.

Deceit works better as a defensive skill (false face forward)because you can apply aspects on your opponent  as your defense - if  you're willing to lie.

My doubt comes from the fact that the description says that you can use Deceit to attack (Cat and Mouse) instead of defending with it (False Face Forward). It also says that this is an option for when someone else initiates the conflict, which means you have already been attacked (presumably). So, as I see it, it's either like the Weapons stunt Riposte (you defend and if successful turn that same defense into an attack), or it means something like... you have to defend with a skill different from Deceit if you want the option to later on attack with Cat and Mouse on your turn. I think the former makes more sense narratively (why wouldn't you be able to both put your false face forward and lie to attack?), but either way, it's not explained very well, imo.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »
Honestly, I don't know. False face forward seems to work more like riposte than Cat and Mouse. 

I always just let it be attacks/maneuvers

Offline Saracen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
Honestly, I don't know. False face forward seems to work more like riposte than Cat and Mouse. 

I always just let it be attacks/maneuvers

I don't think you should let False Face Forward inflict consequences, though, only temporary aspects (beside providing false aspects as traps for the opponent, which I don't believe are actual aspects themselves). Anyway, thanks.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »
I never suggested that False Face Forward causes consequences. (although, since riposte can, potentially, cause stress, I suppose I inferred it) In any case, It doesn't even inflict stress.  I suppose it works more like "step into the blow"  where a successful 'parry' allows you to place an aspect on the attacker.