Author Topic: Scion: Son of a Dragon  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Shiniba

• Participant
    • View Profile
Scion: Son of a Dragon
« on: June 16, 2013, 04:37:19 AM »
So as a thought experiment I've been working on cobbling together a Dragon (note the proper noun) scion, and I'm curious how you forumites would do it. I imagine that Dragons are above mundane fire breath, as beings of semi-divine cosmic power, and if they had any kind of breath weapon at all it would be some kind of gravity vortex rather than a stream of fire or cold.

My question to you, fellow forumites: How would you stat a Dragon Scion? Assume "Submerged" power level.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Scion: Son of a Dragon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:21:08 AM »
Physical Powers like Strength and Toughness would be a start. Wings and some kind of Natural Weaponry would also be appropriate.

I'd consider some kind of Human Form, maybe with Beast Change, because transforming into a dragon is pretty cool. Maybe throw in Hulking Size too.

There's also Dragon Magic on the Sponsored Magic list, I'd at least think about using that. Might want to do away with some of the physical Powers if I was making a spellcaster, though.

Other than that...maybe Supernatural Sense? Echoes Of The Beast? I dunno.

Offline Kagami

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 08:14:33 AM »
I've actually been toying with a Dragonic Scion (so, yeah, not a lesser dragon either) idea for a bit now and I took it in a completely different direction than you Sancta. I've put natural True Shapeshifting as the focus with a high mental fortitude (Discipline and Conviction) to balance. Fits in with the whole "We are what we wish to be" (one of the aspects I've got tied) nature of Dragons. This also anchors you to being human still at your core.

With the other 5 refresh, you could put into modular abilities (so you can grow claws, become larger, etc.) and keep investing into that power to reflect you getting more "dragony"; at 5 you can shift to a form with Inhuman Strength and claws to do some major damage, Inhuman Toughness and Flight when you need to survive, etc. Think of it as tapping into your dragonic nature but you can't access all of it at once yet. More than that, the inherent weakness is that you need to spend a full round shifting those powers out, which could be thought of as you needing to concentrate to tap into your dragon side.

Either that, or Sancta's suggestion of Sponsored Magic, which would fit nicely with a high Discipline and Conviction to boot.

I want my fellow to be Marked by Power to a Dragon, so I'm thinking of getting the extra point to do so by tying the modular abilities to non-human forms (so, Human Form +1 covering Modular Abilities). It's a nice touch and mean that if you want to tap into your draconic powers, you've gotta look the part and break your disguise cover.

Just my 2c. I'd love to hear thoughts on what I've got as well!

Offline dplanken

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:44:55 AM »
I love your take on it Kagami, that's exactly how I would have gone about it too.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Here's my dragon.   He's not a scion, but an actual baby dragon

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34738.msg1657435.html#msg1657435

He'll take a stunt to transfer control to fists and power to endurance.  Eventually he'll take sponsored magic (storm) and it won't be limited to his dragon form.

As he is now, he's very young and inexperienced and still discovering his powers.

Offline Kagami

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
Out of interest Taran, how does the Flowing Silk Catch manifest in your game? Is it being choked with a length of it, having a guy wrap a scarf around his hands and punch... a sword with one streaming off the back? Just a very interesting Catch :)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
Out of interest Taran, how does the Flowing Silk Catch manifest in your game? Is it being choked with a length of it, having a guy wrap a scarf around his hands and punch... a sword with one streaming off the back? Just a very interesting Catch :)

All of the above?

Wrapping your fists or a blunt weapon with it would be a maneuver that you could tag/invoke to act as the catch.

Strangling him with silk would just definitely work...I hadn't even thought of that.

If you want a guaranteed method, you'd perform a small blessing on your weapon(part of the research of the catch) as you tie it to the pummel or hilt of a weapon - say, a sword.  The sword would then act as a catch even though the silk isn't actually hitting the dragon.

You can do the same thing with arrows.  The feathers would be made from silk.  So your ammo would be the catch (not the bow)