Author Topic: Is there a limit to the amount of power a character can put in a spell?  (Read 12592 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Given a week or two of downtime you can stack up taggable aspects worth +50 or so without too much difficulty or issue. Now when you want to do your big ritual you just tag them all.

Note, however, that if you do this then your GM is liable to have NPC's do it as well. A wizard who has been around for hundreds of years? Well expect thousands of "temporary" aspects that he can tag at any time. Thousand shift evocations are perfectly possible.

Tags don't work that way. You have to use them quickly.

Offline Emperor Tippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Yes, but players certainly will try this stuff.
Which is fine and dandy. Do it when they aren't behind wards pretty much at least as strong as what they are casting and other entities *notice*.

It's tons of power being thrown around, the kind that even the likes of Mab, Odin, the Senior Council, etc. sit up and take notice of before investigating. And the kind of power that gives you a rep.

The problem is do the White Council's enemies want to see another wizard like that in the White Council? No. That makes you an enemy and high priority for anyone who wants a weaker WC.

If you are a lawbreaker then that is reversed, lots of powers might want to corrupt such a powerful Warlock but the White Council doesn't want to risk another Kemmler and the Blackstaff is dispatched to deal with you, where upon you find that your power is nothing next to the guy who is far better than you, has far fewer restrictions, and has had centuries to prepare.

Hiding major power is difficult and tends not to be doable on the fly, and major power brings major enemies. Hopefully your players are ready to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Tags don't work that way. You have to use them quickly.
Then the whole maneuvers part of thaumaturgy is utterly worthless and doesn't work at all. It's flat out called out at the end of the section that one of the primary uses for it is to avoid fate point expenditures and that the effects can be held for later use (either time delayed or set to trigger in specific situations).

Under your ruling you could not, say, perform a ritual to give an enemy bad luck and then go across town, enter battle with them, and tag that aspect.

For thaumaturgy to work at all and make any sense you have to be able to tag aspects that it has applied after an indefinite period of time (i.e. the duration of the ritual).

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Now start stacking those up. Given a week or two of downtime you can stack up taggable aspects worth +50 or so without too much difficulty or issue. Now when you want to do your big ritual you just tag them all.

Maneuvers certainly don't work that way and tags in general don't. Declarations for Thaumaturgy Complexity may work  like that (though they usually aren't interchangeably), but at that point it's no longer downtime and you are burning your retroactive deceleration window; it's also really good justifications for your potion slots and enchanted items not refreshing.

That said, if you don't go into too much detail, these sorts of rituals can make good background for the main story, and can usually be hand-waved as aspect shifts or as a reason for having a particular location with better wards than the default.

As an example I caused in a game, a Biomancer augmented the local Seagull population with divination networked biological spy ware over the course of a year's downtime. Done in play with immense detail, the ritual to augment one flock could have easily required complexity 20+. Done as a background ritual, it resulted in the City acquiring the sticky aspect of "Avery's Seagull Panopticon", justified a much lower complexity divination ritual for unreliable short term post-cognition scrying of places where seagulls were in the city, and a separate ritual for similar real time over-watch. Oh, and many many compels.

Under your ruling you could not, say, perform a ritual to give an enemy bad luck and then go across town, enter battle with them, and tag that aspect.

For thaumaturgy to work at all and make any sense you have to be able to tag aspects that it has applied after an indefinite period of time (i.e. the duration of the ritual).

Ok, so, rituals consume their preparation as it's made or at the start of the ritual but only produce a result at the end, so the duration of the ritual itself is a non issue (you can freely chain rituals, subject to the vagaries of biology and ritual design). Normally, the tags generated by a ritual have their timer start when a scene they could be used in comes into play. That said, a subject of a bad luck curse, done as a long duration Thaumaturgical maneuver, could start eating compels from their new aspect almost immediately, so even if the ritualist who put the aspect there in the first place NEVER gets the opportunity to make use of the tag on account of the tag expiring before a good use for it comes up, the ritual will still have had an effect, it just will not be in the fate point free narrative control of the ritualist's player.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:35:48 PM by GryMor »

Offline Emperor Tippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Maneuvers certainly don't work that way and tags in general don't. Declarations for Thaumaturgy Complexity may work  like that (though they usually aren't interchangeably), but at that point it's no longer downtime and you are burning your retroactive deceleration window; it's also really good justifications for your potion slots and enchanted items not refreshing.
If thaum applied maneuvers can't do this then they are utterly worthless and don't actually do what the section in YS says that they are supposed to do; save the wizard fate points.

You can't cast a ritual and then go across town and take advantage of it under that ruling.

That said, if you don't go into too much detail, these sorts of rituals can make good background for the main story, and can usually be hand-waved as aspect shifts or as a reason for having a particular location with better wards than the default.
If you allow it in back story then it should be allowed in the main story. It's the same world. That it is rare that the characters will have the time to really take advantage of this during the main story is irrelevant. Take a look at most of the Dresden books, they take place entirely over a day or two. Cold Days (from the birthday party to the end) took less than 48 hours.

As an example I caused in a game, a Biomancer augmented the local Seagull population with divination networked biological spy ware over the course of a year's downtime. Done in play with immense detail, the ritual to augment one flock could have easily required complexity 20+. Done as a background ritual, it resulted in the City acquiring the sticky aspect of "Avery's Seagull Panopticon", justified a much lower complexity divination ritual for unreliable short term post-cognition scrying of places where seagulls were in the city, and a separate ritual for similar real time over-watch. Oh, and many many compels.
And I create my divination networks in play and over time. Granted, I also take blood from every enemy that I defeat and have the few minutes required to get it and get tons from blood banks (complete with names, addresses, and telephone numbers).

It might take a bit of time but being able to get full, real time, audio and visual from say the Chief of Police can be so useful.

Then there is the network of magical spy cameras who's take is displayed as a holographic 2d image directly in front of a very good quality camera that is inside a circle and then linked off site to a server farm where all of the best in modern surveillance software and data analysis technology is running. It might take a year or two but you can wire an entire city in a manner that is either virtually impossible to detect and (if detected) virtually impossible to back trace.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Then the whole maneuvers part of thaumaturgy is utterly worthless and doesn't work at all. It's flat out called out at the end of the section that one of the primary uses for it is to avoid fate point expenditures and that the effects can be held for later use (either time delayed or set to trigger in specific situations).

I quote:

Quote from: Your Story page 265
Because temporary aspects from manuevers are transient, these sorts of spells tend to be very carefully timed or triggered so that the aspect of effect manifests when its needed...For a more lasting effect, it's time to look at contests and conflicts.

You can delay the maneuver, but you can't just have it hanging around until you need it.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I think Tippy is talking about aspects created by thaumaturgy.  If so, you simply up the difficulty to move it into the appropriate time scale.  Not free but not all that hard either.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
If thaum applied maneuvers can't do this then they are utterly worthless and don't actually do what the section in YS says that they are supposed to do; save the wizard fate points.

Sure they can, it's just they aren't free hanging. If I do a ritual for 4 refresh in temporary powers, I could include 12 complexity worth of maneuvers to immediately pay for the first scene of use of those temporary powers. If I do a preparatory ritual in support of a larger ritual, I can immediately burn the tags from the preparatory ritual into complexity for the larger ritual.

Edit: With regards to preparatory rituals, they are often a really good idea when multiple practitioners are working for a common larger ritual, as each one does simultaneous prep work that all gets fed into the real ritual with a bit of padding to cover for the interference of pesky teenagers and Wizard PI's with less sense than the mosquito looking at a bug zapper.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:45:31 PM by GryMor »

Offline Emperor Tippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
I quote:

You can delay the maneuver, but you can't just have it hanging around until you need it.
"Or triggered".

"I say bippity boppoity boo" is a careful trigger.

I think Tippy is talking about aspects created by thaumaturgy.  If so, you simply up the difficulty to move it into the appropriate time scale.  Not free but not all that hard either.
Pretty much. If you don't up the time then it lasts a scene but if you push the time scale up then it lasts until the time runs out or it is first tagged (at which point it hangs around until the time runs out as something that you can spend a fate point to invoke).

Sure they can, it's just they aren't free hanging. If I do a ritual for 4 refresh in temporary powers, I could include 12 complexity worth of maneuvers to immediately pay for the first scene of use of those temporary powers. If I do a preparatory ritual in support of a larger ritual, I can immediately burn the tags from the preparatory ritual into complexity for the larger ritual.

Except that no you couldn't under the rules interpretation that Sanctaphrax is using. Those 12 complexity worth of maneuvers must be tagged in the scene that they are created. If you rule that you can have them hanging around for later use to power one thing then you can have them hanging around for later use to power another thing.

A thaum maneuver applied aspect is either good for 1 tag within the duration of the ritual, good for 1 tag within the scene after it is triggered (if said triggering occurs within the duration of the ritual), or good for the scene that the ritual takes place in; one of those three has to be true.

My opinion is that the first is true, but if either the first or second is true then you can stack tags virtually indefinitely for later use (subject pretty much just to the amount of time you have to devote to doing so).

If the third is true then the entire "act like maneuvers and apply aspects" part of thaum is utterly worthless. You can't use it and then go across town for a battle and take advantage of the maneuver, for example. This also conflicts with the section specifically calling out that the whole reason for this part of the rules is to "As wizards are usually low on fate points, this option allows you a little more  mileage  without  having  to  worry  about impacting your fate point budget."

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Creating thaumaturgy aspects to do more powerful thaumaturgy to do more aspect to do more powerful thaumaturgy...
I don't know, It just seems like a cheap trick. Especially if those aspects are just "stored power" or something similarly bland.

Also, it's like going to the gym for 2 hours before hiking in the Himalayas, it isn't really going to help you, you will just have less energy in you when you do the main ritual. Pretty much the same amount you just spent on the preparatory ritual. Yes, technically, the system allows for such shenanigans, as long as you don't take a consequence to represent the fatigue, but to me it just doesn't make sense, and I would be very careful in allowing it, if at all.

Big rituals, to me, are about getting the right ingredients, the right set of mind, making a personal sacrifice, and so on, not merely the amount of power you draw or how many shifts the ritual is. It's like... if you have a lever and try to lift a car, you can apply as much power as you want, if you lever is made of cheap plywood, it is going to break in two. You are going to need a lever that is sturdy enough to lift the car (which is the ingredients, the circle, the ritual, the symbolic link and so forth), as well as the actual force to lift the car. And it looks like you are only looking to get the power.

My opinion is that the first is true, but if either the first or second is true then you can stack tags virtually indefinitely for later use (subject pretty much just to the amount of time you have to devote to doing so).
I think it really depends on what exactly you are doing. If you want to curse someone as the result of your spell, the aspect can linger until you trigger it (in which case the trigger is the tag in form of an invoke for effect). If you want to give yourself nightvision to find your way out of a cave, that's better used immediately. Your preparatory aspects could go both ways, I guess.

If you want to give a wizard an edge (not that they really need them), just allow him to go in with a "drawing in my magic" aspect from his discipline, or allow him to have enchanted items with maneuvers in them, that he doesn't have to spend an action to activate. That's pretty much what this "giving a wizard an edge" thing is about, I think. Giving them the opportunity to create their own fate points, if they have the time and know what's to come, so they can link to that.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Creating thaumaturgy aspects to do more powerful thaumaturgy to do more aspect to do more powerful thaumaturgy...
I don't know, It just seems like a cheap trick. Especially if those aspects are just "stored power" or something similarly bland.
Actually, it's an overly complex method of getting numbers of aspects.  You could presumably get the same number by being creative with declarations.  As far as your spell is concerned, there's no mechanical difference between the declared non-magical ritual of "Cleansing Yourself in Pure Water" and a previous scene's ritual of creating an "Empowered Ruby".  The story of the spell is different but not the result.

I'm not a big fan of the way declarations were implemented in DFRPG but the only limits on them are those the group implements. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Emperor Tippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
And necromancy isn't? That is literally "stored power" except worth +30 or so to a ritual.

If you can do that then why can't you store up power in other ways and then dump it all into some major ritual? It certainly fits with the spirit and fluff of the setting and is rules legal.

It's the same end result of necromancy but you are just trading a greatly increased time requirement for not breaking one of the laws of magic.

Also, it's like going to the gym for 2 hours before hiking in the Himalayas, it isn't really going to help you, you will just have less energy in you when you do the main ritual. Pretty much the same amount you just spent on the preparatory ritual. Yes, technically, the system allows for such shenanigans, as long as you don't take a consequence to represent the fatigue, but to me it just doesn't make sense, and I would be very careful in allowing it, if at all.
It's more like going to the gym every day for two hours and doing this for months (or years) in preparation for hiking in the Himalayas.

Big rituals, to me, are about getting the right ingredients, the right set of mind, making a personal sacrifice, and so on, not merely the amount of power you draw or how many shifts the ritual is.
Except that really conflicts with the fluff and crunch of the setting. All you need for a ritual, any ritual, is 1) will, 2) a power source sufficient to do what you want, and 3) enough control to direct that power. Everything else is just a stand in for one of those three things. And generally, the more power you have to throw at a problem the simpler the ritual is (see Sell's heart ripper for an example).

It's like... if you have a lever and try to lift a car, you can apply as much power as you want, if you lever is made of cheap plywood, it is going to break in two. You are going to need a lever that is sturdy enough to lift the car (which is the ingredients, the circle, the ritual, the symbolic link and so forth), as well as the actual force to lift the car. And it looks like you are only looking to get the power.
And what if you just have the power to cancel out gravity over the area of the car? No lever required, just putting in far more power. Or you can use a ritual to set up a block and tackle and achieve the end result far more efficiently. Or you can connect a chain to a motorized crane and have that do the lifting (all your ritual does is provide the chain).

Each one of those requires progressively less power but requires more preparation or external factors.

I think it really depends on what exactly you are doing. If you want to curse someone as the result of your spell, the aspect can linger until you trigger it (in which case the trigger is the tag in form of an invoke for effect). If you want to give yourself nightvision to find your way out of a cave, that's better used immediately. Your preparatory aspects could go both ways, I guess.
Curse or blessing shouldn't matter. If one can hang around to be triggered later than so can the other. Maybe I have some downtime so I go and put the aspect "night vision" set to trigger when I say "night vision mode alpha 1 activate" and that will hang around for a year (or longer). Six months down the road I need night vision so I say "night vision mode alpha 1 activate" and tag for effect (or the +2).

If you want to give a wizard an edge (not that they really need them), just allow him to go in with a "drawing in my magic" aspect from his discipline, or allow him to have enchanted items with maneuvers in them, that he doesn't have to spend an action to activate. That's pretty much what this "giving a wizard an edge" thing is about, I think. Giving them the opportunity to create their own fate points, if they have the time and know what's to come, so they can link to that.
And when instead the wizard goes and prepares a ritual with a hundred tags that are each "pre created form of X evocation" so that he can tag one each time he throws out that evocation for +2 to Control? Perhaps he also has a ritual that does the same thing except with "magical targeting HUD" that can each be tagged for another +2.

Now the next hundred times he casts that spell he can throw it out with +4 to the control roll (or more, depending upon how many such rituals he wants to stack).

Of course it does nothing when he steps into a location and suddenly gets hit with the compel "block external sources of magic".

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
It is worth noting that I generally asked players to 'tell the story of the spell'* when creating rituals.  Of course I also allowed friendly allies (i.e. other PCs) to help with their own related maneuvers and declarations.  In any case, this takes up real game time and generally means the group agrees on what rituals are being attempted.  If one PC wizard wants to spend years on rituals, that's fine - he's an NPC now, what's your next character? 

*I find telling the story of the spell important.  Enough so that I typically wrote out any major NPC rituals.  If nothing else, the aspects used give you ways to disrupt the resulting spell construct.  "I see this barrier spell was anchored to the door frame, I'll ask Fred to break the frame (insert Might maneuver) and tag that for the dispel."
--

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Except that no you couldn't under the rules interpretation that Sanctaphrax is using. Those 12 complexity worth of maneuvers must be tagged in the scene that they are created. If you rule that you can have them hanging around for later use to power one thing then you can have them hanging around for later use to power another thing.

I can in fact do this under Sanctaphrax's interpretations (at least as I understand them), I'm immediately burning the tags at the end of the ritual, specifically for the purpose of paying for the 'first scene in which this powers are relevant'. The tags aren't hanging around, though the aspects may be. That is part of why the downtime preparatory thaumaturgy doesn't really work, as you will have had to spend the tags on something specific (or have lost them) by the time downtime ends.

Also, with regards to chaining rituals, the sequence:
Xn+1 = S+floor[(Xn-1)*2/3]
is convergent, limited to Xinf < S*3, and generally rather close to S*2 for the values of S in the range of normal practitioners effective lore (even at effective lore of 8, you hit a cap of 22 complexity after 5 iterations, having has to channel and control 96 power).

It rarely makes sense, effectiveness wise, to do more than a single preparatory ritual per practitioner.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
And necromancy isn't? That is literally "stored power" except worth +30 or so to a ritual.
Nope, it isn't. Killing someone to fuel your magic is a hell of a story to tell. Besides, not all people are created equal in this context, either. Getting any regular Joe from the street will not help the necromancer nearly as much as getting someone close to a named character, or even a friend of the PCs.

If you can do that then why can't you store up power in other ways and then dump it all into some major ritual? It certainly fits with the spirit and fluff of the setting and is rules legal.
I'm not saying you can't, you misunderstand me. I'm saying it's boring. From a mechanical standpoint, you are absolutely right, you could clearly stack yourself up to the rafters with whatever aspects you like. But Fate isn't all about mechanics, it is about narration as well. That's why I try to look at the aspects not as +2 mechanical things, but as objects I use in the ritual. The whole drawing of power comes entirely during the casting of the spell itself.

It's the same end result of necromancy but you are just trading a greatly increased time requirement for not breaking one of the laws of magic.
Time should always be an issue. If not, then there isn't really any tension in the story. And Killing someone to fuel a spell should have an even bigger impact on the story. It shouldn't just be a convenient way to get the spell done quicker.

It's more like going to the gym every day for two hours and doing this for months (or years) in preparation for hiking in the Himalayas.
That would be where specializations come into play. You do something for a long time, you get good at it.

Except that really conflicts with the fluff and crunch of the setting. All you need for a ritual, any ritual, is 1) will, 2) a power source sufficient to do what you want, and 3) enough control to direct that power. Everything else is just a stand in for one of those three things. And generally, the more power you have to throw at a problem the simpler the ritual is (see Sell's heart ripper for an example).
And what if you just have the power to cancel out gravity over the area of the car? No lever required, just putting in far more power. Or you can use a ritual to set up a block and tackle and achieve the end result far more efficiently. Or you can connect a chain to a motorized crane and have that do the lifting (all your ritual does is provide the chain).
Each one of those requires progressively less power but requires more preparation or external factors.
Not at all. Shoving more power into your spell will require more control of you, or you will go boom. Or maybe look at it this way: You may be able to use your aspects on the casting part of the spell, but you would not be able to use them to increase the complexity of your spell. And if you have enough time to gather that many aspects to cast the spell, I wouldn't make you roll on casting it anyway. The complexity of a thaumaturgy spell is what I called a lever in my simile before. No matter how you do it, you have to have an understanding of what you are doing. A plan, a shape that you can pour your magic into. That's the interesting part of the spell, and to me it is the important one. If you are then casting the spell under pressure of time, because a horde of bad guys is coming your way, then it is getting interesting, and we will start rolling.

Curse or blessing shouldn't matter. If one can hang around to be triggered later than so can the other. Maybe I have some downtime so I go and put the aspect "night vision" set to trigger when I say "night vision mode alpha 1 activate" and that will hang around for a year (or longer). Six months down the road I need night vision so I say "night vision mode alpha 1 activate" and tag for effect (or the +2).
And that I would simply not allow. Creating aspects or magical equipment in your downtime is covered far and good by enchanted items. If you want more, get more enchanted item slots. If you need something on the fly, leave some potion slots open and declare a night vision potion.

And when instead the wizard goes and prepares a ritual with a hundred tags that are each "pre created form of X evocation" so that he can tag one each time he throws out that evocation for +2 to Control? Perhaps he also has a ritual that does the same thing except with "magical targeting HUD" that can each be tagged for another +2.

Now the next hundred times he casts that spell he can throw it out with +4 to the control roll (or more, depending upon how many such rituals he wants to stack).

Of course it does nothing when he steps into a location and suddenly gets hit with the compel "block external sources of magic".
Again, this is already covered with focus items. Anything like you described above is downright cheating.

Besides, where do you want to store all that power? Harry got a headache from the power he was able to draw in within one minute. His head would explode from a weeks worth, let alone a year

Items? Let's say every aspect is equal to an enchanted item slot, that means those are 100 item slots. There is box on page 281 that suggests sizes for enchanted items. If we scale this up to 100 item slots (roughly doubling in size every 4 slots), we are at about the size of a mid sized town. Or he could carry 100 rings, which doesn't make it any more plausible.

The story of the spell is different but not the result.
I know what you mean, but to me, that is a big deal.

And like I said above, while I would allow "Empowered Ruby" to power the spell, I would not necessarily allow it to add to the complexity. "Cleansing Yourself in Pure Water" could go the exact opposite, because while it is a good way to sooth your mind and focus on the task, its calming effects might limit your power, so you could increase the complexity, but not use it to aid to the calling of power.

It is worth noting that I generally asked players to 'tell the story of the spell'* when creating rituals.  Of course I also allowed friendly allies (i.e. other PCs) to help with their own related maneuvers and declarations.  In any case, this takes up real game time and generally means the group agrees on what rituals are being attempted.
+1
If one PC wizard wants to spend years on rituals, that's fine - he's an NPC now, what's your next character? 
And again: +1
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Emperor Tippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
I can in fact do this under Sanctaphrax's interpretations (at least as I understand them), I'm immediately burning the tags at the end of the ritual, specifically for the purpose of paying for the 'first scene in which this powers are relevant'. The tags aren't hanging around, though the aspects may be. That is part of why the downtime preparatory thaumaturgy doesn't really work, as you will have had to spend the tags on something specific (or have lost them) by the time downtime ends.
And if you can do "first scene in which these powers are relevant" you can also do "first scene in which ritual XYZ is cast" or the like. Exact same end effect.

Also, with regards to chaining rituals, the sequence:
Xn+1 = S+floor[(Xn-1)*2/3]
is convergent, limited to Xinf < S*3, and generally rather close to S*2 for the values of S in the range of normal practitioners effective lore (even at effective lore of 8, you hit a cap of 22 complexity after 5 iterations, having has to channel and control 96 power).
Except that you don't. Nothing is stopping you from casting twenty rituals that will each hang around for a month and then using them to cast a 40 complexity ritual at the end of the month.

Yes, you end up casting 20+ complexity rituals to provide +2 complexity to a future ritual. You spend a lot of time and in real terms end up wasting a ton of power but you can do it with no real cap.

It rarely makes sense, effectiveness wise, to do more than a single preparatory ritual per practitioner.
No, it rarely makes sense to do more than three or four. Because that's about the most that you can get with a duration long enough to cover the final ritual, But that lets you spend a day to cast a ritual that will hang around for a few weeks with an aspect to be tagged. Do that every day for two weeks and you have +28 complexity to use, giving you a ritual that is good enough to provide 2-3 such aspects and will last a mortal lifetime. Make it last a year and it's good for 4-5 such aspects.

Now do that twenty six times and at the end of the year you can tag all of that for +206 complexity. That is 38 or so such aspects hanging around for a decade, or +76 complexity.

Now do that for ten years and at the end you can tag it all for a ritual that will last a mortal lifetime and provide 408 such aspects, or +816 complexity.

The only limit is the time that you have to invest. If you are willing to blow a decades worth of investment on something then that is more than fine. That's how you get things like the Merlin throwing out a ward during battle that can stalemate the entire Red Court, Lords of the Outer Night and the Red King included; he burned a decades (or more) worth or stored power to do it. Now what happens if he has to fight Kemmler Reborn three days later?

Nope, it isn't. Killing someone to fuel your magic is a hell of a story to tell.
Not really, at least not if you are actually playing someone with the mind set to really be a good warlock or necromancer. Do you think that Kemmler angst over the fact that he is sacrificing a few hundred people for whatever ritual he wants to do? For him it's "ok, go on to town, grab the first dozen people I see, sacrifice them to put the whole town to sleep, stack them up like cordwood to power uber ritual number 1. now what should I have for dinner?"

Besides, not all people are created equal in this context, either. Getting any regular Joe from the street will not help the necromancer nearly as much as getting someone close to a named character, or even a friend of the PCs.
The rules don't say that. It's just as hard to kill a PC (assuming that the PC is outside of wards and lacking relevant powers) as it is to kill any random vanilla mortal. The reason that most rank and file NPC's don't get consequence tracks is that they are rarely willing to fight to the bitter end and concede early.

I'm not saying you can't, you misunderstand me. I'm saying it's boring. From a mechanical standpoint, you are absolutely right, you could clearly stack yourself up to the rafters with whatever aspects you like. But Fate isn't all about mechanics, it is about narration as well. That's why I try to look at the aspects not as +2 mechanical things, but as objects I use in the ritual. The whole drawing of power comes entirely during the casting of the spell itself.

And from a narrative perspective this works just fine. "I've spent weeks building up this power to cast this major ritual but I really have to get through these wards if I want to prevent the Red Court from doing Y and the only way I can bring those wards down in time is to spend up all my stored up power. But that will delay my ritual and tell everyone within fifty miles that I have this kind of power to throw around. should I do it?" That's just one example. There are tons of ways to have it work in a story.

Time should always be an issue. If not, then there isn't really any tension in the story.
Dresden averages one to two major cases per year. There is tons of down time in there where he could be stacking up useful things for later cases. It's the same kind of thing.

And Killing someone to fuel a spell should have an even bigger impact on the story. It shouldn't just be a convenient way to get the spell done quicker.
That should depend entirely on the story.

That would be where specializations come into play. You do something for a long time, you get good at it.
Your specialization would be "hiking in mountains" the ritual would be "preparing myself to hike at these altitude for a long duration in these temperatures, learning the routes, studying previous peoples hikes, etc."

Not at all. Shoving more power into your spell will require more control of you, or you will go boom. Or maybe look at it this way: You may be able to use your aspects on the casting part of the spell, but you would not be able to use them to increase the complexity of your spell.
Except all complexity is is short hand for the power, control, etc. of the spell. You can slit a guys throat (which fluff wise does nothing but provide power) to reduce complexity. You can slit another guys throat to power the actual casting the the spell and you can dump the backlash on a third guy to control the casting of that spell.

If you have a sufficient power source that reduces complexity.

We also see Dresden in changes; all that is required for any ritual is will, power, and control and all of the external factors just stand in for one of those three things. Everything from the circle to the symbolic link is technically optional (even if practically required) in the fluff of the setting.

And if you have enough time to gather that many aspects to cast the spell, I wouldn't make you roll on casting it anyway. The complexity of a thaumaturgy spell is what I called a lever in my simile before. No matter how you do it, you have to have an understanding of what you are doing. A plan, a shape that you can pour your magic into. That's the interesting part of the spell, and to me it is the important one. If you are then casting the spell under pressure of time, because a horde of bad guys is coming your way, then it is getting interesting, and we will start rolling.
And then I tag "ritual X part 1" through "ritual X part 20" aspects that I have precast along with "power storage X part 1" through "power storage X part 20" to provide the power in one round and "power control X part 1" through "power control X part 20" to provide the control.

Entire massive ritual done at the drop of a hat and in one exchange (or one minute). Why was that doable? Because I spent a decent amount of time previously making it possible.

And that I would simply not allow. Creating aspects or magical equipment in your downtime is covered far and good by enchanted items. If you want more, get more enchanted item slots. If you need something on the fly, leave some potion slots open and declare a night vision potion.
Leaving aside the fact that the enchanted item rules (and potion rules) suck, that makes no sense. If you can put some aspect on one character to trigger later then you can put some aspect on yourself to trigger later. Whether that aspect is good or bad for that character is irrelevant.

Again, this is already covered with focus items.
Which doesn't really matter.

Anything like you described above is downright cheating.
Which is what magic is all about. Tracking someone after an hour through an entire major metropolis with nothing more than a single hair is "cheating" as well.

Besides, where do you want to store all that power? Harry got a headache from the power he was able to draw in within one minute. His head would explode from a weeks worth, let alone a year
Because Harry was storing that power in his head and wasn't drawing it through ritual, making a battery, or anything else. Where you store it and how you store it depends entirely upon the table and the wizard.

Items? Let's say every aspect is equal to an enchanted item slot, that means those are 100 item slots. There is box on page 281 that suggests sizes for enchanted items. If we scale this up to 100 item slots (roughly doubling in size every 4 slots), we are at about the size of a mid sized town. Or he could carry 100 rings, which doesn't make it any more plausible.
Again, the rules should treat identical situations identically. If you can dump a curse on someone to give them a hundred +2 "Bad Luck" aspects that will last ten years (and you explicitly can do this) then you can do the exact same thing with "good luck" aspects or any other aspect.
I know what you mean, but to me, that is a big deal.

And like I said above, while I would allow "Empowered Ruby" to power the spell, I would not necessarily allow it to add to the complexity.
And that shows a distinct misunderstanding of what complexity represents. That the rules let you slit a persons throat to reduce complexity; or tap a thunderstorm; or tap a leyline (all of which are called out as examples of ways to reduce complexity) means that "Empowered Ruby" is just as viable a choice.

+2 Complexity comes just as easily from "rare cross that was blessed by a saint and is touched with true faith" as from "unplugged the telephone to remove distractions". Both can be provided by making declarations with skill rolls (say Resources and Discipline) and both reduce complexity by +2 but they they provide totally different things story wise. One is maybe the critical component of the ritual so that you attack ritual can get through the Outsiders toughness while the other is just removing one potential distraction when you get around to casting the ritual.