Author Topic: Voodoo  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Antisuperman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Voodoo
« on: May 22, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Howdy. New poster here. Been a Dresden fan forever and played lots of tabletop role playing games in my day but somehow JUST found out this exists. I'm ashamed of myself. Anyway, enough about me...
Someone in our gaming group seriously wants to play a voodoo character. I was wondering if there's any homebrew mechanics for that established already or not? I tried using the search function but no dice...
I feel like voodoo should incorporate both faith aspects an thaumaturgy. If nothing is out there already I'll throw something together and post it up for critique if folks are interested.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Voodoo
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
I've had a player do a voodoo character and I've drawn up an NPC as well for a game

This was reccomended to me:

High Concept: Vodou Priest
Trouble: Dark Past, Dark Pacts
Other Aspects: That Voodoo That You Do

Important Skills:
+5 Conviction, Lore
+4 Discipline, Presense
+3 Deceit, Rapport, Craftmanship
+2 Alertness, Endurance, Investigation
+1 Scholarship, Stealth, Survival
Mental 0000 +1 consequence
Social 0000
Physical 000

Mortal Stunts:
Occultist (+1 Voodoo; +1 Voodoo Loa)

Powers:
Ghost Speaker (-1)
Domination (-2)
The Sight (-1)
Soul Gaze (+1)
Modular Abilities (-4; affecting two physical form points) (inhuman toughness/recovery, or Speed or STR
Channeling (-2; Spirit)
Thaumaturgy (-3; Specialization - Necromancy = base complexity = 9 +1 control)
Lawbreaker (-2; Fifth)
Guide My Hand (-1)

The modular abilities are based on the practitioner having spirits possess his body.  The type of powers he gets depends on who or what is possessing him.  You might want to get rid of Channeling/thaumaturgy and just take sponsored magic.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:22:04 PM by Taran »

Offline Antisuperman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
Definitely a cool idea though her character is a lot less dark.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
take away the Lawbreaker and the Domination.

Offline gonnamove

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »
My friend wanted to play a Hoodoo priest (basically the same thing but voodoo is the bad version of hoodoo.) The way we did it is we had him take part of the true believe template, like Guide My Hand and Bless This House, but also gave him Ritual (Hoodoo). It was a thematic limit, so you'd have to trust your player, but it gave a very fun feel to his character.

This was for a feet in the water game, so I don't know what other powers would fit at a higher level, but the ghost/spirit possesion thing is pretty cool.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
My friend wanted to play a Hoodoo priest (basically the same thing but voodoo is the bad version of hoodoo.) The way we did it is we had him take part of the true believe template, like Guide My Hand and Bless This House, but also gave him Ritual (Hoodoo). It was a thematic limit, so you'd have to trust your player, but it gave a very fun feel to his character.

This was for a feet in the water game, so I don't know what other powers would fit at a higher level, but the ghost/spirit possesion thing is pretty cool.

That works well. 

Isn't Hoodoo basically Haitian christianity?  Maybe I'm wrong.  True beleiver stuff definitely works and so does sponsored magic, in any case.

Thaumaturgy lets you explore both sides of the coin - the dark: if you dare to do it(like necromancy and mind magic); and the Light, like healing.

The guy I statted above was supposed to be part of a challenge for a submerged group, but I thought it'd give some ideas.  Doing the modular abilities would eat up too much of your refresh at Feet in the Water.

Offline gonnamove

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
That works well. 

Isn't Hoodoo basically Haitian christianity?  Maybe I'm wrong.  True beleiver stuff definitely works and so does sponsored magic, in any case.

Thaumaturgy lets you explore both sides of the coin - the dark: if you dare to do it(like necromancy and mind magic); and the Light, like healing.

The guy I statted above was supposed to be part of a challenge for a submerged group, but I thought it'd give some ideas.  Doing the modular abilities would eat up too much of your refresh at Feet in the Water.

That is how my friend described it. A lot of hoodoo rituals have you communing with saints and other holy beings. Voodoo is a perversion of that, but very similar so it would work really well with thamaturgy to allow for both the light and the dark, and even taking hellfire or soulfire later on, if you had the refresh to spend.