Author Topic: Invoking aspects to boost the Power of spells  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Invoking aspects to boost the Power of spells
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »
Ah, excellent. Thank you very much.

So, would it be a storm or a leyline having you repay your debt? Or would it be the GM offering a Compel in the theme of the storm or the leyline or whatever? I'm trying to think of how it would work if, as we are talking about in this example, the "Sponsor" was non-sentient with no Agenda of its own. If the "sponsor" was due to the power of time and/or place...
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »

Maybe on their next spell....

I think it would have to be on their next spell since they dont technically have the consequence until they finish the current spell.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »
You can refuse the compel, but it costs a you a FP and the debt isn't considered to be paid back.  Eventually, you have to accept to pay off the debt.  The important thing is that you don't receive a FP for accepting the compel because you've already gotten something in advance.

Or that's how I read it.
I feel it is a compel you already accepted, that's why I phrased it like that. But you are right, refusing with a fate point is always an option, though you won't really have won anything in that case.

So, would it be a storm or a leyline having you repay your debt? Or would it be the GM offering a Compel in the theme of the storm or the leyline or whatever? I'm trying to think of how it would work if, as we are talking about in this example, the "Sponsor" was non-sentient with no Agenda of its own. If the "sponsor" was due to the power of time and/or place...
Well, tapping into the source should, for a while, alter the character in a way. Tapping into a storm could make him erratic and hectic, due to the lightning. Or he might become moody. A leyline would impose itself on the wizard in the same way. A nurturing leyline would maybe inhibit the wizards destructive streak, for example.

And all compels can come from that kind of change to the character.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
I really like those ideas.

So, my Compel based on drawing power from the storm might be something like: "Since drew down power from the thunderstorm last week to cast your binding spell against a powerful demon, the rage of the storm has left it's mark on you. Normally, what Jake said wouldn't have phased you in the slightest, but today, you lose your temper and lash out at him for his foolish attitude toward something so serious."

Yeah, I really like that.

Or maybe the next time there is a thunderstorm, the connection you had established works in reverse and the storm somehow draws power from you. A Compel that takes efficacy away from a spell or two during the session.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:12:11 PM by Troy »
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
I think I like the first version better than the last. Or maybe turn it around on the second idea, that the storm liked to ride along on the wizards power and wants to do it again. If he wants it or not.

Of course, there can always be some entity connected to those phenomena. A storm rider shide, for example. Or an earth elemental as the guardian of a leyline.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
Paying off the Compel on Sponsor Debt might make the Debt go away, I'm unclear on the strict reading of the RAW, here, but accepting it definitely does not provide a FP as it normally would.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »

You can refuse the compel, but it costs a you a FP and the debt isn't considered to be paid back.  Eventually, you have to accept to pay off the debt.  The important thing is that you don't receive a FP for accepting the compel because you've already gotten something in advance.

Or that's how I read it.
this, to me
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey