Author Topic: Query 2: Incite Emotion  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Keryth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Query 2: Incite Emotion
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
Kept this seperate from my other question, for clarity sake.

Anyhow, Incite Emotion. What exactly does it do? Incite Emotion:Lust. Is it only a maneuver ability? How would one ustilize it as an attack?

And more importantly, how is it utilized in Grave Peril, when Thomas forces the Nightmare-possessed Lydia to forgo anything but wanting to get it on with him?
Shadows Over New York - A Dresden Files RPG Campaign with some added bonuses from Books, TV, and Movies.  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Query 2: Incite Emotion
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
Let's start with the relevant rules (YS173):

Effects:
Emotion-Touch. If you can touch someone, you can make him feel something. You’re able to do maneuvers at +2 to your roll (using Intimidation for anger or fear and Deceit for every other emotion) that force an emotion on a target (as a temporary aspect), so long as you’re in the same zone as he is and you can physically touch him. The victim defends with his Discipline.  You may be able to prevent the victim from taking other actions as well if you do this as a block (page 210) instead of as a maneuver.

So you can do maneuvers, placing aspects.  These aspects let you then invoke them for a bonus or compel your target (technically invoke for effect as all compels are done through the GM, but that's just semantics).  Any compel must past muster and be considered reasonable by the table, as with any other compel. 

So, to answer your first question: No.  Incite Emotion (without any of the upgrades) is not a maneuver only ability.  It can block too.  But it is limited ONLY to Maneuvers and Blocks.

If you wanted to attack, you would need to purchase the Lasting Emotion effect for an additional refresh.

Lasting Emotion [–1]. If you increase the refresh cost of this ability by 1, you gain the ability to do Emotion-Touch as a mental attack instead of a mere maneuver or block. If such an attack hits, you gain a +2 stress bonus on a successful hit (as though it were Weapon:2), increasing the chances of inflicting a mental consequence (and thus, a more lasting emotional state). The victim defends with his Discipline.

With this, you can make permanent changes to characters by forcing them to take consequences (including extreme) or taking them out (possibly making them your permanent lust slave as a taken out result, like many in the Raith's household staff).

In Grave Peril, Thomas would have been using Incite Emotion as a block (and possibly maneuvering or invoking existing aspects to make this block more effective).  Thomas has the upgrade "At Range" which lets him use Incite Emotion on targets up to one zone away without touching them (it costs another refresh).

Offline Crazy Wilhelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 05:27:03 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that, to prevent a vamp from touching him, my character could theoretically use his considerable skill in Martial Arts via Fists or Athletics to avoid being touched, and avoid the necessity of the Discipline defense in the first place by preventing the initiating touch from taking place?

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »
Yes. Assuming a) your GM used the WCV in such an uncharacteristically direct manner and b) the WCV hasn't taken the Refresh upgrade "At Range"
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline Crazy Wilhelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
I figured as much. With Good Discipline, Great Athletics, and Superb Fists, what are my odds against typical Vamps, doc? Will they be forced to engage my flying fists of fury, or is Good Discipline just not enough to deal with excessive brain-shenanigans in the typical campaign? Great Alertness, if that helps any.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:04:15 PM by Crazy Wilhelm »

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »
That depends entirely on your GM I'm afraid
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline Crazy Wilhelm

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 07:11:52 PM »
Figures. Plus it's all cooperative storytelling anyway. Heck, I'm always prepared to get mindslaved. Makes for good drama.