Author Topic: Proposed Magical Grapple Rules  (Read 1425 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Proposed Magical Grapple Rules
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
Ok. So it's pretty clear to me that, based on various comments, magical grapples are pretty much broken. However, storyline wise, they make sense to exist. So, I came up with several rules to have magical grapples be less crappy, gameplay wise:

1. Before a magical grapple can be initiated, a target must have a taggable/invokable aspect relevant to grappling (and obviously, the aspect must be tagged/invoked).

2. Once the aspect has been tagged or invoked, the spell may be cast. The strength of the spell = the strength of the grapple. Take a mental stress to cast the spell, and roll Discipline to control. HOWEVER, any shift of failure in the spell casting MUST be directed to fallout, affecting the strength of the grapple.

3. The default duration of the grapple is one action: you may affect the original strength of the grapple to extend to duration (as per normal rules), or you may use a supplemental action and take one mental stress to extend the grapple (using Conviction + specializations/foci to determine the number of exchanges the grapple has increased by, and assuming a roll of zero on Discipline + Specializations/Foci against the extension to determine fallout).

4. Every exchange, you must take an action to roll Discipline + Specializations against the original number of shifts of power you have applied to the grapple. Any failure must be taken as fallout against the grapple strength. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT THE NEXT STRENGTH YOU MUST BEAT NEXT TIME TO NOT TAKE FALLOUT.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed Magical Grapple Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:29:41 AM »
I like the need for an invoke, but it seems odd to me that you have both a duration and a need to sustain the spell with actions.

And it's not clear whether you get to inflict stress/maneuver/move your target when you grapple magically.

Also, if I get an 8 to control a 7-shift grapple, is the grapple Epic or Legendary during that turn?

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed Magical Grapple Rules
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
I like the need for an invoke, but it seems odd to me that you have both a duration and a need to sustain the spell with actions.

And it's not clear whether you get to inflict stress/maneuver/move your target when you grapple magically.

Also, if I get an 8 to control a 7-shift grapple, is the grapple Epic or Legendary during that turn?

The need to do both is there because of how ridiculously powerful magic grapples can get. It gives it some balance, although it may be compensating too much. I don't know.

Yes to all. This is like normal grappling unless otherwise stated.

The grapple will be Epic. You can lose power on the grapple, but you can't gain it again.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart