Author Topic: BAMF! (Phasing/Same Zone Teleportation)  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: BAMF! (Phasing/Same Zone Teleportation)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »
Conceptually I love the idea.  However I would skip the worldwalker pre-req and instead have it be a 1-2 refresh add on to a speed power(likely 1 and its just a homebrew stunt.).  Call it Blink/Bamf/Whatever and have it function as needed for the character to short range teleport.  I wouldn't even cut the speed(as I feel like in almost all cases it is very situational as a movement tool(IE, minimal bonus 90% of the time.)  Add in a bonus +1 on defense rolls beyond the speed powers bonus to athletics and free up their movement and remove the attack penalty for moving when they blink. 
Keeps it simple, allows for the concept, and is useful but not broken(Honestly feels balanced as a stunt.)

I feel the movement part itself is only minimally useful over the ones already granted by speed.  It allows ignoring terrain and barriers, which is handy, but its rare that the terrain is especially awful, ignoring height via spiderclimb is -1 power and it allows you to cling to walls and stuff too(something I find more useful in many ways.)  I have often found that outside of combat movement powers see minimal use to keep the group together as well so it isn't especially practical there.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »
I'm sorry. Maybe I don't completely understand what you are trying to do. So you want to be able to teleport within the same area and be able to move other people, possibly also using this power to go into the never never?

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »
I'm sorry. Maybe I don't completely understand what you are trying to do. So you want to be able to teleport within the same area and be able to move other people, possibly also using this power to go into the never never?

I'm assuming you are unfamiliar with the Nightcrawler character from Marvel comics?

If so, the The White House attack scene from the film I think will best illustrate what I'm going for (ignoring borders, maneuvers within the zone, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGztjzEuysM

I don't need quite the unstoppable plot device element of the above scene, but I think it covers all the high points
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
- You may use Lore to escape Grapples.  Your roll must beat the grapple block.  Additional shifts allow you to teleport into other zones.

Blocks are not armour.  No, not even grapple-based blocks.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 12:47:11 AM »
Blocks are not armour.  No, not even grapple-based blocks.

Umm...I don't think I said anything about armour....

Grapples don't allow movement.  So this power would allow you to use Lore to move out of a grapple as long as your Lore beats the strength of the grapple.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 01:12:49 AM »
Additional shifts allow you to teleport into other zones.

If a roll subject to a block exceeds the value of a block, the full effect of that roll takes effect.  Blocks do not reduce the value of a roll (attacks are a special case where this is concerned).  That is the purview of armour.
If the desired effect of a roll subject to a block is to move between zones, and that roll is sufficient to surpass the block, then the effect of the roll continues as if the block had not been in place.  No 'additional shifts' are necessary.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 01:53:17 AM »
Yeah, I remember that now.

I always found it weird that blocks are all or nothing, though.  Does that make them less useful?  Does doing it the other way make them too useful?  I'm not disputing the rule but...I don't want to derail this thread.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 02:15:27 AM »
Having blocks act as armour makes them devastatingly potent in situations where they're being applied against a roll that already has to beat a static difficulty or opposed roll.
Slough

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 02:40:11 AM »
Um...that's not how blocks work. If you best the block it acts in the same way a dodge would mitigate an attack. The difference between blocks and armor is that the armor remains, the block does not

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 03:02:19 AM »
See above re: 'attacks are a special case'
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 05:08:52 AM »
I don't think it's possible to sprint while grappled at all, normally. So the issue probably doesn't arise with grapples.

But I'm away from my books so I can't be sure.

I'm assuming you are unfamiliar with the Nightcrawler character from Marvel comics?

Yo.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »
I don't think it's possible to sprint while grappled at all, normally. So the issue probably doesn't arise with grapples.

Normally you can't move while in a grapple.  I was pointing out that this power would give you an opportunity to break a grapple and then move using lore as the skill.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
You cannot move while grappled unless you make a roll to do so that surpasses the grapple's block strength.
I am not aware of any language in the rules that imposes a restriction in excess of this.  If you are, please point it out to me.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
You cannot move while grappled unless you make a roll to do so that surpasses the grapple's block strength.
I am not aware of any language in the rules that imposes a restriction in excess of this.  If you are, please point it out to me.
That'd be my interpretation as well. If you exceed the grapple strength, the number of excess shifts you have is the number of shifts you can move. If you don't exceed the grapple, you won't move.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
the number of excess shifts you have is the number of shifts you can move.
Blocks are not armour and movement is not an attack.
Slough