Author Topic: Question on "inherent" worldwalking  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Question on "inherent" worldwalking
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »
A post by Tsunami in the "Thunder Gates" thread reminded me of something that's been at the back of my thoughts for a while.

I'm currently designing a hunting-themed Changeling (half goblin). In what areas would she be able to pass into the nevernever on her own (if any) without any other power? What would be "affinity" areas? Would any wilderness with a natural predatory fauna do?
How long would crossing into the nevernever (or back) take when not using something like Swift Transition*? I'm guessing "A few moments" but not realistically doable during a conflict.

*This, btw, has a really confusing name to me, nothing in the writeup indicates a different speed of transitioning, just that it can happen anywhere.

/Cadd

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Question on "inherent" worldwalking
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
I'd say the dens of predators. Maybe hunting outlet stores.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »
Dear trails or trails used by common prey.

Swift transition lets you move to the Neverver anywhere you want - not just affinity places.  It doesn't give you the ability to bring others with you.  I find the name a bit misleading, actually.

World walking lets you open a gate to allow others to travel through it.  I think you're more limited to where you can open gates though...which is why it gives you the ability to detect natural openings into the Nevernever.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
I think it can be nearly anywhere, as long as there is a hunting justification. If you are hunting a wizard and he is crossing over, you should be able to pay a fate point and follow him, since you are crossing over in his tracks.

Other than that, anything that has to do with hunting, really. I like the idea of hunting stores. Hunting lodges could work as well. Or outlooks (those wooden towers in the forest). I've seen fences in forests and doors in them for the rangers and hunters to get through, those could work as a gateway as well.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:21:23 PM »
I think it can be nearly anywhere, as long as there is a hunting justification.
This.

Mechanically, it's anywhere you can invoke (or tag) an appropriate aspect for effect.  The resultant effect, of course, is movement between worlds.

Personally, I'd look for aspects relating the place to the character's high concept and avoid those based on action.  But that's just due to the precedent mentioned in the book - the ones I remember are tied to places.  Basing it on action isn't necessarily wrong, it simply doesn't have a fictional precedent I can think of at the moment.  Disallowing aspects related to actions also keep Worldwalker valuable.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:23:26 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:37 AM »
Mechanically, it's anywhere you can invoke (or tag) an appropriate aspect for effect.  The resultant effect, of course, is movement between worlds.

Aaaahhhh, that makes so much sense now that you say it! I'm still new to the FATE system (a few sessions into GM-ing one game, and now preparing to play in another) so I still haven't fully internalised the "almost everything boils down to Aspects"-part yet... That little part would have been really nice to have spelled out in the book actually, or if it is I've just missed it...

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »
We know about Thomas that he can only pass over in places that are "close to his heart" in this case meaning his supernatural nature.

What is a Goblins Supernatural Nature... now that is the question.
Goblin... well look at the Earlking.
We know of two places his domain was connected to. The FBI and a Hunting-Store.
I think those would be a good place to start from for determining your Goblins Crossover-Locations.

However, we should also ask if the inherent worldwalking ability applies to changelings in the first place. I'm not so sure there.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about that either, but figured it could be a good idea to think of themes and how it's done just in case. We've decided that she's never been to the Nevernever yet, but she will in the future, if nothing else to use Ways to get to challenging prey.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
Watering holes, it's where prey can always be found!  Maybe bars in our world?

If you want to get gritty, prisons are FULL of predators...
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
Prison doesn't feel right.

It's where humans put all the predators that weren't smart enough, or fast enough... Predators are brought here to make them less predatory... (that is the intent at least... it doesn't always work out, i know.)

It would be like a WCV crossing over in a Sunday School classroom...

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 05:14:20 PM »
There's plenty of predation that goes on within the walls of most prisons, I gather, which leaves me to wonder what sort of Sunday school you went to...
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
I take it Tsunami means that it's not so much what happens there, as what the place symbolizes.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:38:16 AM »
For those subject to the predation within those walls (as well as at least a significant subset of those engaging in the predation), I suspect their symbolism is rather tied to that predation.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 06:18:09 AM »
For those subject to the predation within those walls (as well as at least a significant subset of those engaging in the predation), I suspect their symbolism is rather tied to that predation.
Like i said... the intent of making predators less predatory doesn't always translate into reality.
But let's not get into a discussion about how prisons work here. I know i kind of started it, but i have a feeling that it could derail this thread pretty easily (hasn't yet, but it might).

For me Prisons won't work, for others they might. Can we leave it at that?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
Actually, I think it is still somewhat relevant as a metaphor through which to discuss the issue at hand.
Is the nevernever mirror of a mortal world location shaped by the intent of the place, its reality, people's perceptions of it, or some combination thereof (and if so, what combination)?
Slough