Author Topic: Mechanics of Thunder Gates and Player Use  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Samael Ivey

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Mechanics of Thunder Gates and Player Use
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:10:50 AM »
   Recently in my Dresden Files game one of my friends decided to start playing a minor talent, but where the talent is opening thunder gates at will. The GM said this was fine but would take him awhile to figure out how to stat it out to not be completely take breaking. So I would like to ask how you all would handle the starting of the Thunder Gates and a character who is somehow able to make one at will. And yes one of his aspects is "Thinking with portals."

Offline kvafank

• Posty McPostington
  • Hope you don't mind me dropping in.
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanics of Thunder Gates and Player Use
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »
Sounds like a God given gift.  It could require an artifact.  The vaduan god of thunder required rituals centered around a stone from a building destroyed by lighting
Yeah,  there were a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on for this outfit.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:16 AM »
What's a Thunder Gate?

Offline Kagami

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:19:46 AM »
Echoing Sanctaphrax's question. I thought you might be talking about something Naruto-related, but the portal comment threw me off.

Offline kvafank

• Posty McPostington
  • Hope you don't mind me dropping in.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
I'm assuming it is a means of traveling from one place to another using a talent for electricity as a medium to convert a person to energy and send them between gates.
Yeah,  there were a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on for this outfit.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:02:26 AM »
An aspect would be good to have anyway. But there'd need to be some kind of power tied to it.

If Thunder Gates are a particular means of transport, I'd recommend either the Worldwalker power or Sponsored Magic to allow the player to use Thaumaturgy at Evocation speeds to open up a Way.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:05 PM »
Are you talking about Odin's portal in Changes?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:24:56 PM »
Sounds like it is supposed to be like the portals in portal? You know, punch through the blue one and hit someone next to the yellow one, that sort of thing? Because of the aspect, I think. But this definitely needs some more information.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Samael Ivey

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »
Yes, my apologies, we labeled the portals that Odin used in Changes as thunder gates.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
Worldwalker is the power for that.  If it comes from a sponsor, I'd attach sponsored debt to it until he figures out how to make it work.  Otherwise, if it happens randomly, I'd make him take an aspect and let the GM compel it when appropriate.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
Off hand Id say it should take him a lot longer than Odin did it in Changes, and probably have less precise control of the destination point than Odin pulled off.  Odin used the magic spear Gungnir to open his, which is a spear that grants perfect aim, so it would be thematically consistent if the spear was helping Odin place the other end with more precision.  And it took Odin a bit of time to open the thing, drawing three separate lines with Lightning, and he is frickin' Odin; for a mortal to do it without some sort of Sponsor Id require a bit more of a ritual, so that they cant just use it at the drop of a hat to run away if a fight turns against them.  Id also probably include some sort of size/duration limitations. 

Borrowing from other fiction, it could require a specifically marked/prepared destination point (kvafank's idea about special stones touched by lightning sounds cool).  Or i can be like WoT where you have to spend enough time getting familiar with the place you are opening the Gate before you do it. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
Definitely sounds like Worldwalker to me. Or possibly a mass-teleport spell.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
The arrival of the Grey Council via lightning strikes was a fortuitous arrival, (i.e. Fate point expenditure on behalf of the travelers) themed by the fact that one of the travelers was friggin Odin.

The first portal that was opened to let the Bird-Men charge in (Genku, Ginku... i forget their name), was simply a pretty large portal into the nevernever, with the Birdies waiting on the other side.
No special mechanics needed. Can be done with Ritual(Worldwalking), Thaumaturgy or Worldwalking. Leaving aside the natural crossing abilities all Supernaturals seem to have. (Think Thomas in Grave Peril or White Night)

The second Portal was a Handwave. I mean come on... created by a friggn Odin, it's use "negotiated" by the most powerful vassal of the Winter Court.
It was a narrative shortcut. Otherwise Jim would probably just have said that they chose a different, longer, less perilous route through the nevernever to get back to Chicago. It was important that they got back, not how or how fast.

I would not let players create such portals to use for dramatically or tactically important travel. They'd be narrative only, and if you only use them as a narrative shortcut, then they really don't need mechanics.

Edit: i just realized that the issue posted by the OP is not IF they should be used by players, but how to stat them. Sorry for being less than helpful *g*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:44:34 PM by Tsunami »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »
Worldwalker or Sponsored Magic.

The Teleportation custom Power might also be appropriate, but I think Worldwalker or Sponsored Magic would be a better bet.