Author Topic: How to make a Publisher Angry  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: How to make a Publisher Angry
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 06:24:39 AM »
This is where a professional editor is invaluable. Having someone who can give you an objective opinion, based on years of experience and market knowledge, is a huge help when making sure you hit the sweet spot where you give enough information that the reader can follow the story, without holding their hand all the way through.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
You don't want to dumb things down as if people are idiots but at the same time neither do you want to talk over their heads or become so cute that they can't understand what you're doing.

The real satisfying trick is being able to do things that work at more than one level.

I have a scene in an older work that will probably never be published where a line I really liked worked at three levels; the readers who'd never heard it before thought it was a cool line that fitted the context; the ones who recognised it as a song lyric thought it was appropriate that the character in question would be into that band and would quote them in that situation; and the couple of test-readers who like me were really into the band in question, were able to deduce from timing that to have heard that song at the point in time at which the novel is set the character in question would have had to put a lot of effort into getting hold of a single with a very limited release and that was a piece of information about the character that fit and worked.  Useful data if you get it, but if you don't, it doesn't scream out "oi, you're missing something".
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »
The real satisfying trick is being able to do things that work at more than one level.

I have a scene in an older work that will probably never be published where a line I really liked worked at three levels; the readers who'd never heard it before thought it was a cool line that fitted the context; the ones who recognised it as a song lyric thought it was appropriate that the character in question would be into that band and would quote them in that situation; and the couple of test-readers who like me were really into the band in question, were able to deduce from timing that to have heard that song at the point in time at which the novel is set the character in question would have had to put a lot of effort into getting hold of a single with a very limited release and that was a piece of information about the character that fit and worked.  Useful data if you get it, but if you don't, it doesn't scream out "oi, you're missing something".

That's cool.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)