Author Topic: A few seconds ahead - How strong is it?  (Read 21834 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: A few seconds ahead - How strong is it?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
The dodge-to-guns stunt discussed as an example in the stunt creation section, and Footwork found in the Fists section of the example stunts (wherein the limitation is the fact that Fists already provides a significant, if inferior, physical defense trapping of its own).

edit: thought of a 3rd comparable stunt:
'It takes one to know one', found in the Deceit section of the example stunts, allows Deceit to defend against a very limited form of social attack
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:24:47 PM by Tedronai »
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Llayne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »
True this power would only shine in certain builds, but the same could be said for just about any power. That alone doesn't mean it's balanced.

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but are there any powers in the YS that manipulate the skill point economy like this? (replacing or moving trappings to another skill?) Or is that limited to stunts? I'm not saying that you CAN'T do it with a power, I'm just curious to see if anybody knows.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »
Yes, but those are both stunts instead of powers. Powers are explicitly more powerful than stunts, and one way they're more powerful is they don't have the restrictions that stunts usually do--compare Sex Appeal (target has to be attracted to you anyway) to Incite Emotion for Lust (Works on everybody and is a skill replacement).

As I've said before, I'm in favor of limiting AFSA to just physical defense.

I guess we have different rubrics for what's unbalanced or overpowered. To my thinking, the best that AFSA can do is move defense to the skill cap--while there are other stunts and powers that would instead let you defend past the skill cap. And if you're getting the biggest boost out of AFSA, that means you're not very good on offensive options, so your abilities are inherently limited. On those characters, it just means it's harder to beat you, but you can't really beat back.

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but are there any powers in the YS that manipulate the skill point economy like this? (replacing or moving trappings to another skill?) Or is that limited to stunts? I'm not saying that you CAN'T do it with a power, I'm just curious to see if anybody knows.
Kind of. Incite Emotion, for example, can lump seduction rolls (usually Rapport) into Deceit. It also moves mental attacks into skills that don't normally have them.

The True Faith powers tend to let you use Conviction for a lot of things it doesn't normally do.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »
As I've said before, I'm in favor of limiting AFSA to just physical defense.

You're 'in favour of' cutting it's power by more than half, but you're arguing that it's probably not overpowered?
Am I just confused, here, or is this as ridiculous as it sounds?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
You're 'in favour of' cutting it's power by more than half, but you're arguing that it's probably not overpowered?
Am I just confused, here, or is this as ridiculous as it sounds?
I'm in favor of cutting the bit about social conflict because it doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm arguing that it's probably not overpowered because even with the social defense, I don't think it's overpowered, for the reasons I've said--the best it's going to do is bring defense on par with others, with a high probability of still leaving offense way below par.

Your main objection to it seems to be not that it replaces defense, but that it replaces defense for too many kinds of things, so I figured dropping the one that makes the least sense to me would be an acceptable compromise.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
When 4 is reasonably balanced, <2 is probably underpowered.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »
When 4 is reasonably balanced, <2 is probably underpowered.
Actually, that's the problem here. I keep forgetting to factor in the "or maneuvers" part.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
The dodge-to-guns stunt discussed as an example in the stunt creation section,

This is the example for why it may need to be limited for certain skills. It is hard to justify defending with guns when you dont have a gun

Footwork found in the Fists section of the example stunts (wherein the limitation is the fact that Fists already provides a significant, if inferior, physical defense trapping of its own).

Thats not really a limitation on the stunt though, its more about fists.

'It takes one to know one', found in the Deceit section of the example stunts, allows Deceit to defend against a very limited form of social attack

This isnt really a defense; its knowing that they have lied. Rapport is ussually used for defense. Though I still agree that AFSA is odd to give you a bonus against social.

I do like the suggestion made earlier (not sure who and I am not looking back right now) about having it apply when one on one as opposed to in group conflicts.

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »
I think we're mainly comparing apples to oranges here anyways. This is a power, not a stunt. Powers come with a hidden -2 tax attached, plus in this case I'd say an aspect would be required as well. I'd say compare this to other powers, like refinements and such.

To be fair, stunts seem a bit underpowered compared to powers. It's one thing that always irked me about the system.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »
You do get +2 Refresh for not getting powers though. That's nothing to sneeze at.
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »
This is the example for why it may need to be limited for certain skills. It is hard to justify defending with guns when you dont have a gun

Thats not really a limitation on the stunt though, its more about fists.
Precisely the same effect applied to any skill other than Athletics, Fists, or Weapons would read as something along the lines of 'may use [X skill] for the Dodge trapping of Athletics in any case where the Close-Combat Defense trapping of Fists would not normally apply.'
The stunt provides only the portion of the Dodge trapping that is not already encompassed by Close-Combat Defense.  This is not meaningfully distinguishable from having a limitation.  The two are effectively synonymous.

This isnt really a defense; its knowing that they have lied. Rapport is ussually used for defense. Though I still agree that AFSA is odd to give you a bonus against social.
It is a defense against lie-based attacks and maneuvers.

If you think that the current state of something is balanced, chances are that any meaningful reduction in its power will cause it to be un-balanced.
For those arguing both that the current state is balanced AND that the stunt should be reduced in power, you must demonstrate why this is not the case for your particular suggested changes, or be arguing against yourselves.
Slough

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
For those arguing both that the current state is balanced AND that the stunt should be reduced in power, you must demonstrate why this is not the case for your particular suggested changes, or be arguing against yourselves.
I feel the power is balanced though it doesnt make narrative sense. This is the reason I would change it. I can argue both ways and still be making valid points for both arguments. Doesnt really matter if I am arguing against myself because you are going to rule how you like. So if you like my suggestion on why it should be reduced over why it is balanced that is what you are going to go with in your game and Vice-Versa. There should be no reason for you to limit how my argument goes.

Proposed stunt; "See it Comming" You may defend against physical attacks with alertness

Is that one unbalanced? What about these?

"Honeyed Words" You may use deceit as a defense in social conflicts.

"Acrobat" You may use performance to defend against physical attacks.

These stunts may have a caveat such as "As long as you narrate it whatever" but thats not hard. These are all acceptable stunts per rules.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
I've already explained exactly why I'm arguing the way I'm arguing, so there is nothing I "must" demonstrate.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
I feel the power is balanced though it doesnt make narrative sense. This is the reason I would change it. I can argue both ways and still be making valid points for both arguments. Doesnt really matter if I am arguing against myself because you are going to rule how you like. So if you like my suggestion on why it should be reduced over why it is balanced that is what you are going to go with in your game and Vice-Versa. There should be no reason for you to limit how my argument goes.
I'm not limiting how your argument goes.  I'm stating that your two simultaneous arguments are mutually exclusive.

Proposed stunt; "See it Comming" You may defend against physical attacks with alertness

Is that one unbalanced? What about these?

"Honeyed Words" You may use deceit as a defense in social conflicts.

"Acrobat" You may use performance to defend against physical attacks.

These stunts may have a caveat such as "As long as you narrate it whatever" but thats not hard. These are all acceptable stunts per rules.

Each and every one of them is probably overpowered as a stunt, judging from the collected examples and guidelines.
Slough

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »
Each and every one of them is probably overpowered as a stunt, judging from the collected examples and guidelines.

Well here are the rules/ guidelines. I would like to know how those didnt follow them:

Quote from: YS 147
The first possible use for a stunt is to broaden a skill by giving it a new trapping. Often this is a trapping that’s “transplanted” from one skill to another. Sometimes this trapping may need to be modified, or made more circumstantial, in order to fit its new skill

EDIT: Here is how my full write up of those stunts would look:

"See it Comming" You are good at predicting what people are about to do. You may defend against physical attacks with alertness as long as you can see them

"Honeyed Words" Most of your conversations lead people to believe you are honest. You may use deceit as a defense in social conflicts when incorporating lies into your conversation.

"Acrobat" You are skilled at moving your body in ways people dont expect. You may use performance to defend against physical attacks as long as you narate it colorfully.

I believe the Italicized portions are your issue with the power since it doesnt have that, but the nature of the power is to litterally see the future so they dont really need a caveat such as the ones I have stated.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:15:35 PM by Lavecki121 »