Author Topic: Tiger Fate Core Extra  (Read 1410 times)

Offline zombiedog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Tiger Fate Core Extra
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to be running a Fate Core game set on an alternate history Earth. One of the players is brand new to RPGs and wants to play a circus acrobat who travels with a Bengal tiger. I'm working on how to make that happen, but I'm also very new to Fate Core. I understand that the tiger would probably be an Extra, using skills to represent it, but have no idea how to make it work properly/cost enough/not cost too much, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Tiger Fate Core Extra
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »
I'd say the easiest way is to make the tiger a character of his own, and the player just plays 2 characters.
If you are not comfortable with that, you can take the part of the tiger and give the player a skill that lets him command the tiger.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline zombiedog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
Okay, yeah that makes sense. What's a reasonable amount of skills for him to have? Should I give him aspects, too? How would you recommend I handle the command skill?

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
Didn't Spirt of the Century had a Side Kick Stress track?
I'd say make him take a Aspect and a Stunt related to his Tiger.

Offline zombiedog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
But wouldn't introducing the Sidekick system for just one character unbalance things? I'm starting to think making it an DMNPC would make a lot of sense. Plus, easy of play is more important that rules crunch.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »
Okay, yeah that makes sense. What's a reasonable amount of skills for him to have? Should I give him aspects, too? How would you recommend I handle the command skill?
Just make the tiger like you would any other PC, otherwise it will be pretty weak in comparison, and I'm sure the player would want a powerful sidekick. Just adjust the opposition for an additional pc.

If you give the tiger character to the player, I wouldn't make the player have a skill for that. Just a high concept like "beast master" or something, that makes it reasonable that he can communicate with the tiger would be enough. The tiger would be more his friend and companion, than his pet.

If you as a GM take over the tiger, I'd give the player an extra skill like "animal handling", and judge how the tiger reacts to him by how well he rolls on that. The player can then use an action in a fight to give the tiger an order, and the tiger will do as told.

I would prefer the first method, because it makes the tiger an actual and interesting character, and that is way cooler than just making it an attack bot. The player could decide to take the tiger for a moment and play out how it sneaks up on a camp of bad guys and reports back to his master and things like that, instead of just roll and be done.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:33:01 PM »
Survival is specifically the skill used for doing social maneuvers and social combat with animals btw...

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »
Core doesn't have survival, so it would be reasonable to add a skill like I suggested as an extra.