Author Topic: Advancement question.  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Advancement question.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
Ok so I looked through YS and found a couple of instances where they talk about rearanging your character (trading stunts for powers too).

This one:
Quote from: YS 73
Musts: Pure mortals may not take any supernatural
powers. In exchange for this restriction, pure mortal characters get a +2 bonus to their starting refresh. If this character ever takes a supernatural power, this refresh bonus goes away immediately (which may be mitigated by dropping one or two mortal stunts).

I bolded the section I am talking about. This is kind of iffy though. It could be seen as a special instance since the Pure Mortal is losing two refresh.

This one though:
Quote from: YS 91
Completely Revising Characters
If there’s enough downtime in your story between a major milestone and the next adventure, you might also consider re-creating your characters as a group— adjusting aspects, reconfiguring skills, buying stunts and powers, etc. While you don’t need to go through the phases part of character creation again, it’s a chance to rethink or replace your character’s high concept.
As long as there’s some commonality to the character for a sense of continuity, this isn’t a problem.

This one seems to be more what we are looking for. I bolded the part I think is most important, but it does seem like you should be able to recreate your characters refresh spent durring a milestone, but it does say a major milestone so yea.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »
Ok so I looked through YS and found a couple of instances where they talk about rearanging your character (trading stunts for powers too).

This one:
I bolded the section I am talking about. This is kind of iffy though. It could be seen as a special instance since the Pure Mortal is losing two refresh.

This one though:
This one seems to be more what we are looking for. I bolded the part I think is most important, but it does seem like you should be able to recreate your characters refresh spent durring a milestone, but it does say a major milestone so yea.
The former to me is just a clarification that if a pure mortal ever takes a supernatural power they lose the +2 bonus.  It's not indicative of the ability to upgrade a stunt to a power.

The latter seems to cover the question pretty well.  That given proper narrative justification, a character rewrite is perfectly acceptable.  In my experience most characters have this built-in.  All the characters my players made have the potential to become somethng entirely different.  A focused practitioner becoming a full blown wizard, a pure mortal taking up a denarian coin, a changeling choosing to become a pure mortal, ect.  So it makes sense.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
There is also the rules for Mid-Level Power upgrades if that applies. It isnt the same situation but it is a different rule for how to obtain powers.