Author Topic: Powers vs Aspects: DFRPG & FATE Core  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Powers vs Aspects: DFRPG & FATE Core
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:15:59 AM »
I've been reviewing a few and doing my own kitbashes recently, and I hit the same question every time: would it be easier to have powers cost Refresh like we see in DFRPG, or make them using the "Extras" chapter of FATE Core?

Has anyone else run into the same thing? If so, what sort of compromise have you reached?
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Powers vs Aspects: DFRPG & FATE Core
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 02:14:59 AM »
I prefer Powers to Extras, personally.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 02:34:22 PM »
Extras are really a way to have the cost of things be played different ways.  I think for DFRPG powers work really well.  But they don't work well for all genres, which is what Fate Core is written for. 

Personally, I prefer how stunts are structured in Fate Core.  I also think that a 1 refresh power should be equal to a stunt.  DFRPG was not designed with that in mind, however.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
If I have read it correctly, Powers are just a special kind of extras. Page 278 in the latest pdf has a Fate Core writeup of the strength power, including the refresh cost.
Extras just give you a broader way of handling things, like for example requiring to add a skill to the characters sheet in order to use magic, so his magic doesn't cost refresh, but limits his range of other skills.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:40:05 AM »
Honestly, the more I run non-Dresden games using DFRPG, the more I think IoPs would be better fit to Extras instead of as a power. That, personal contacts and equipment (ships, crazy technology, favourite gear and the like) seem to fit better this way.

Anyone else noticing that?
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden