Author Topic: reading and symbolism  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Carnifex:Pacifex

• Participant
  • Phobophage, Silicomancer, Hemomancer,and Christian
    • View Profile
reading and symbolism
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
So, I've been working on a few projects for some thyme now and notice that certain objects have become somewhat symbolic to the series. It kind of happpened by accident, but I wanted to see what meanings behind these symbols are for each of you writers and readers alike.

1. the Scythe
2. A centipede
3. a spinal cord,
4. Moths

I'd also like to ask what kinds of symbols you use, and what meanings you want to convey through them.
Its time for a harvest...

"Pride is a spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."-C.S. Lewis

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: reading and symbolism
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
I'm not sure if there are any physical symbols in my series, really. But in Locked Within, there were definite symbolic images, all accidental, of rebirth, which is a major theme of the series. Things like emerging from dark water, walking out of a torchlit tunnel after going through a series of life-changing events.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:06:35 PM »
I'm not sure if there are any physical symbols in my series, really. But in Locked Within, there were definite symbolic images, all accidental, of rebirth, which is a major theme of the series. Things like emerging from dark water, walking out of a torchlit tunnel after going through a series of life-changing events.
Those work well too; mine kinda happened by accident ^_^

"Pride is a spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."-C.S. Lewis

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:04:21 AM »
I don't consciously do symbolism in my stories.  I always got super pissed off in school English when *I* wanted to learn how to write a novel, and they kept assigning things where I had to pick apart stories for something I wasn't sure was even there.

That said, as I got older I do understand much more about symbolism than I did then.  Here's what comes to mind on the ones you listed:

1. the Scythe - My first thought is death, grim reaper.  My secondary thought is the scythe's traditional purpose...harvest.  But it's a distant second, since as a reader I'm much more familiar with it as a symbol of death, and not harvest and life, since we don't tend to use scythes in modern farming these days.  Scythes also have a dramatic shape.
2. A centipede - Ew!  Squish it!  I wouldn't really assign much meaning by default to a centipede.  Doesn't mean it's there, just that I wouldn't pick up on it.
3. a spinal cord, - Major component of the nervous system of vertebrates, second only to the brain.  The spinal cord or "backbone" of something symbolizes the essential part or center of an organism or organization.
4. Moths - Creatures of the night.  Creatures that take up residence in empty places.  In the case of Luna Moths, have a relationship with the moon.  The default idea is that moths are ugly, but frankly I personally think some types are as beautiful or more beautiful than butterflies.  Moths can also stand for transformation, as a butterfly can, but probably a less appealing one.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:52:38 PM »
I don't consciously do symbolism in my stories.  I always got super pissed off in school English when *I* wanted to learn how to write a novel, and they kept assigning things where I had to pick apart stories for something I wasn't sure was even there.

That said, as I got older I do understand much more about symbolism than I did then.  Here's what comes to mind on the ones you listed:

1. the Scythe - My first thought is death, grim reaper.  My secondary thought is the scythe's traditional purpose...harvest.  But it's a distant second, since as a reader I'm much more familiar with it as a symbol of death, and not harvest and life, since we don't tend to use scythes in modern farming these days.  Scythes also have a dramatic shape.
2. A centipede - Ew!  Squish it!  I wouldn't really assign much meaning by default to a centipede.  Doesn't mean it's there, just that I wouldn't pick up on it.
3. a spinal cord, - Major component of the nervous system of vertebrates, second only to the brain.  The spinal cord or "backbone" of something symbolizes the essential part or center of an organism or organization.
4. Moths - Creatures of the night.  Creatures that take up residence in empty places.  In the case of Luna Moths, have a relationship with the moon.  The default idea is that moths are ugly, but frankly I personally think some types are as beautiful or more beautiful than butterflies.  Moths can also stand for transformation, as a butterfly can, but probably a less appealing one.

many thanks for the feedback, I do think you are right about centipede's not being very ...well they just aren't used as much, so I may need need to gently point out their meaning without insulting the reader's intelligence.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 04:37:25 AM »
I see planting and harvest as symbolic of life and death so to me seeing the scythe as symbolic of death and seeing it as representing the harvest are very similar if not identical. Having said that, I agree that these are the things I think of when I see one. As a distant third a scythe can also be used as a weapon.

A centipede...hmmm... no strong symbolism for me although it could either symbolize poisonousness or a line of people keeping step with each other, soldiers or members of a marching band perhaps possibly a caravan of sorts..

I see the spinal cord as the communications link between the brain (boss, king, general, etc.) and the rest of the body (company, kingdom, army, etc.) A spinal cord or backbone can also represent strength of will or character, a willingness to stand up for what one believes, courage.

I see moths as symbolizing silent decay. They lay eggs that destroy things yet they themselves are soft, sometimes beautiful and very, very quiet. Their tendency to commit suicide by burning themselves to death against light bulbs can also lead to them symbolizing those that pursue frivolous things (bright lights and shiny things) until it leads to a bad end.

Just my $.02

edited to clean it up a bit.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:39:49 AM by OZ »
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
I see planting and harvest as symbolic of life and death so to me seeing the scythe as symbolic of death and seeing it as representing the harvest are very similar if not identical. Having said that, I agree that these are the things I think of when I see one. As a distant third they can also be used as a weapon.

A centipede...hmmm... no strong symbolism for me although it could either symbolize poisonousness or a line of people keeping step with each other, soldiers or members of a marching band perhaps.

I see the spinal cord as the communications link between the brain (boss, king, general, etc.) and the rest of the body (company, kingdom, army, etc.) A spinal cord or backbone can also represent strength of will or character, a willingness to stand up for what one believes, courage.

I see moths as symbolizing silent decay. They destroy lay eggs that destroy things yet they themselves are soft, sometimes beautiful and very, very quiet. Their tendency to commit suicide by burning themselves to death against light bulbs can also lead to them symbolizing those that pursue frivolous things (bright lights and shiny things) until it leads to a bad end.

Just my $.02

Silent destoryers, I really liek where you went with the moths   ^_^