Author Topic: Alternative Evocation Power  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Evocation Power
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
So, for 1 more Refresh, Evocation gets 2 additional elements to work with, and gain 1 upgrade.  Cool, that's a good similarity to the original rules.

I think it would be interesting to see this version of Evocation and Channeling grow over time to find the Refresh sweet spot.

I'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of having to buy the same upgrade multiple times.  Taking Stress for using one, that's fine.  But if the wizard wants to cast a huge spell, they should be able to pump up the Stress to make it happen.  I do like the cap of Lore to keep it somewhat sane.

You might want to change "Massive Attacks" to "Massive Effects" to allow/encourage other kind of AoE spells.

I'm not sure about the Focus Item and Enchanted Item costing Refresh, since they're given as extras with the original cost.  I do like the mechanics for them though.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 09:08:40 PM »
I'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of having to buy the same upgrade multiple times.  Taking Stress for using one, that's fine.  But if the wizard wants to cast a huge spell, they should be able to pump up the Stress to make it happen.  I do like the cap of Lore to keep it somewhat sane.
That would eventually mean, that additional refresh is somewhat meaningless, because you bought everything that is a part of the evocation power. It's the choice between free will and power, which is one of the concepts of the DFRPG, and I would like it to stay in there. It's the same with refresh now, I just structured it differently, so it fits the new way evocation works.

You might want to change "Massive Attacks" to "Massive Effects" to allow/encourage other kind of AoE spells.
That's a good idea, I will edit that.

I'm not sure about the Focus Item and Enchanted Item costing Refresh, since they're given as extras with the original cost.  I do like the mechanics for them though.
I wanted to make them work differently. You can throw around free spells as long as you like now, which is a big advantage over the old system and warrants the loss of focus items on the baseline. They aren't really items any more, and a loss of them can be done by a compel on the wizard aspect. That means, that they are a flat bonus, and that means they should cost refresh.
Remember that they also cost refresh in the original version, if you buy additional ones with refinement.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 02:09:31 AM »
Evocation looks pretty good. Could use some testing, of course, but I really doubt it's overpowered...if anything, it's probably on the weaker side.

I'm a little iffier on Channelling. Elements have never mattered much in my experience, and giving extra power in exchange for limiting future purchases in dangerous territory. Plus it's pretty much strictly better than Breath Weapon/Ranged Natural Weaponry.

But it's certainly not horrible...it won't break your game in half.