Author Topic: Fate Core Dresden Ideas  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Fate Core Dresden Ideas
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 04:02:47 AM »
Hmm, kind of. I had it in the back of my head ever since the first crude version here, and it came back when I posted this here. I know some things I would change now for sure. If you like, I'll open a new topic so we can work on it, so we don't derail this thread too much. I'd certainly like your input.

Go for it.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
I still mean to make good on the magic rule thing, I'm just busy at the moment

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 08:52:56 PM »
Here's what we've worked up so far.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwouQYZcwYj2aDdORkgzeVNBa2s&usp=sharing

We're in the process of removing Discipline, Conviction, and Presence.  Replacing them all with Will. 
This means removing the Social stress track and just having Mental, as in Fate Core.

In theory (still being worked out):
1) Spellcasting powers will give you a Magic stress track, and the casting stress mechanic will work the same. 

2) Spell Power and Control will both be based off of Will, but at start you can choose to take a +1 to Power and a -1 to Control (or vice versa) to establish a different feel for your caster.

3) Specialty, Foci, and Refinement bonuses treated as normal.

4) We're debating if Rote spells should be based on the average, rounded down, of your Power and Control instead of just Control.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:56 AM »
That sounds risky to me, balance-wise. Needing 3 skills is one of spellcasting's major limitations.

I haven't read your rules carefully so I can't say for sure whether you've addressed this, though.

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
That sounds risky to me, balance-wise. Needing 3 skills is one of spellcasting's major limitations.

I haven't read your rules carefully so I can't say for sure whether you've addressed this, though.

I have reservations about the switch to Will myself.  Certainly not something to be done lightly.  However, the split really only matters to casters, to everyone else it's skill bloat, so I've been outvoted.

Also, melee types got some great consolidation of skills in Core.

This is also why the "Alternate Evocation" write up is intriguing.  If the Power simply allowed you to perform the 4 Actions with Will, instead of the complex and powerful DFRPG method, then it might balance against other skill/power combos adequately.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
I don't think the Conviction/Discipline split is skill bloat. Conviction and Discipline no more similar than Alertness and Investigation or Fists and Weapons.

The consolidation of melee skills in Core is nice, but it doesn't have the same effect on melee types that this would have on spellcasters. Because melee types aren't required to take multiple melee skills the way casters are required to take multiple casting skills.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 03:54:31 AM »
Dougan, have you looked through the magic toolkit yet for fate core? It might give you a better idea of what to do with your concept

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Dougan, have you looked through the magic toolkit yet for fate core? It might give you a better idea of what to do with your concept

I read it when it first came out.  I was figuring I'd wait till the final version before reading it again.

While the systems are not bad, none of them really felt like Dresden to me.  Was there something in particular you wanted to call my attention to?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
lol, there was when I wrote that and I have since forgotten what it was.  :P

If I remember I will post it