Author Topic: finding inspiration through music  (Read 5649 times)

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
finding inspiration through music
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:06:10 AM »
Anyone listen to music while writing?  If so, what do you listen to that inspires you? 

I find that it helps me, particularly when sitting for a few hours to bang out a thousand words or so.

Also, anyone using poetry or song lyrics in their writing?  I'm not brave enough to try in my first book.  Amazing how J.R.R. Tolkien found ways to put that into his work.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Re: finding inspiration through music
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »
Listening to music while writing is one of my favorite things to do. It helps me focus and concentrate on the words and action I'm typing onto the page. I listen to instrumental music for the most part, acting as sort of a soundtrack score to my work. Two Steps from Hell is one group I listen to a lot, or anything really from Thomas Bergersen.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Not really, but thats because I have difficulty concentrating on much of anything with too much music around.  I can manage it while driving, though i also do audio books.  But when Im spending time deep in my own head Music is actually a distraction.  I find silence works a little better because it is easier for me to get absorbed in my own little world and loose track of time.  But I could enver listen to music while studying or anything.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
I'm one of the apparently rare few who needs quiet (preferably dead silence, but that isn't always doable) in order to write. If the TV or any music with lyrics is on in another room and I can hear it, I'll put in earplugs. Extremely quiet instrumental music is sometimes OK, but anything else is far too much of a distraction, and I'll find myself focusing on it--sometimes to the point of starting to write out the lyrics rather than my text.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
I'm one of the apparently rare few who needs quiet (preferably dead silence, but that isn't always doable) in order to write. If the TV or any music with lyrics is on in another room and I can hear it, I'll put in earplugs. Extremely quiet instrumental music is sometimes OK, but anything else is far too much of a distraction, and I'll find myself focusing on it--sometimes to the point of starting to write out the lyrics rather than my text.
Same here.  I work best with a little white noise to cover the rest up, actually
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »
I actually find it difficult to write without music. I have a selection of tracks I use for inspiring certain types of scene and I've been known to come up with new scenes or even whole book ideas just listening to a particular piece of music.

A massive chunk of my music collection if film scores, which are my favourite things to write to. I also choose individual songs to get me into the right mindset for my current work in progress, kind of like having a soundtrack for the book.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
I'm almost incapable of writing without music, especially when I first sit down to start for the day. It's like I need the ... I dunno, the distraction? I need something to put one part of my mind on so it'll get out of my way and I can start writing. I swear I don't have ADD because that need doesn't show up in any other part of my life, but unless I have music to divide my attention, I can't settle in to write. It's like part of my brain is a little kid. "Here, listen to this while Mommy works."

Once I get started, and especially if I fall into the hole, it becomes less important. But starting out for the day? Yeah. I need it.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »
I actually find it difficult to write without music. I have a selection of tracks I use for inspiring certain types of scene and I've been known to come up with new scenes or even whole book ideas just listening to a particular piece of music.

A massive chunk of my music collection if film scores, which are my favourite things to write to. I also choose individual songs to get me into the right mindset for my current work in progress, kind of like having a soundtrack for the book.

Hmm . . . good idea.  I have a few soundtracks in my music collection.  Maybe I will try writing to "The Last of the Mohicans" or "Gladiator" soundtrack.  Could make for interesting scenes.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 06:53:17 AM »
Sometimes I listen to music when I write, sometimes not.
Like Wordmaker, I have a LOT of soundtracks that I like to listen to.
And some music will actually inspire scenes in my head.

Music I like to write to.

The Music from Cosmos the TV series
A number of the James Bond films
The Hunt for Red October
Vangelis
Enya
The opening music to the Inside Man

If I'm feeling goofy and need to clear my head
The Hamster Dance album.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
I always listen to music when I write, partly for white noise and partly for mood. I usually I start off with one of two songs I have saved form "Chaiyya Chaiyya" or "Perdeski Cloyn" as both are fairly upbeat tunes and a good start to the writing. After that it depends on my mood and time available I'll either open up the music on my machine and pick an Album or find an Album on Youtube which will usually last me a writing session and then random filler or another album if I feel like writing more.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:40:25 PM by Ren »
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline cheesemaster

• Conversationalist
  • What's in the bag, Wang?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »
I have tried and tried to write with music. I start with it soft.....make it softer.....turn it down until you can barely hear it.....then turn it off. Lol. Takes about 20 minutes.

BUT! I have found that certain CD's in the shower get my mojo flowing!......maybe I should re-phrase? Lmao. Radiohead Kid A in the shower seems to set my imagination off and the story ideas flow like water. Just the ideas. Nothing else. This is a PG post. lol. I am not sure why that one CD is so effective, but I find it works for me.....I need to get a new copy.....been a while since I wrote anything......
“In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, everything collapses.”
― Isaac Marion

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »
In high school I would write papers to a loop of Lowrider and Lime in the Coconut.  When the workload got bad enough and I was really sleep deprived I would have it loop those ten times followed by the Dust Brothers This is your Life from the Fight Club Soundtrack. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Carnifex:Pacifex

• Participant
  • Phobophage, Silicomancer, Hemomancer,and Christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
Undeniably. It isnt a requirement for me, but it truly helps. As for the type of music, it truly depends on my mood.
I could go from Demon Hunter, to Atrium Carceri, to Infected MusHRoom in a matter of a few hours.
Its time for a harvest...

"Pride is a spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."-C.S. Lewis

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »
And some times you just have to break out the O Fortuna  ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:34:18 AM »
And some times you just have to break out the O Fortuna  ;)

Makes me think about Conan the Barbarian (the original with the "Governiator").

"Conan!  What is best in life?"

"Crush your enemies.  See them driven before you.  And to hear the lamentation of the women."