Author Topic: finding inspiration through music  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: finding inspiration through music
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »
Dude's coming back for Terminator 5...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 05:29:43 AM »
Dude's coming back for Terminator 5...

Listened to a lot of: The Downeaster Alexa by Billy Joel when I was stuck on the other side of the world working as a nurse and trying to write part time.  It got me through a lot of work (Singing it) and then writing in my spare time too.

Although in general I prefer something with a bit more of 'lets go get them' or as JB likes to put it, angry young men singing.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »
I write best with music.  In all reality I write best in chaos.  Something on TV, Music in headphones, people everywhere.  No idea why.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »
^
Maybe that's how you disconnect the governor in your head that exerts
control over your imagination.

(In case you didn't know - governor - a device that keeps the speed of a vehicle from
going past a certain point.  A lot of school buses had/have? that on them.)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
Mostly if I am writing to music it will be to either songs where I know the lyrics by heart, or ones where the lyrics are in a language I do not know.

I can't edit or revise to music at all, but sometimes it is good for first drafts.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 07:55:34 AM »
I'm like Neurovore.  Maybe for a 1st write, but not anything after. 

My problem with writing and music in tandem is that I tend to listen to actively listen to music.  I don't do passive listening very well, or very consistently.

Sometimes a brisk piece is helpful to keep me from landing in the doldrums though.  The enforced tempo can be great for mandating mental activity.

What I DO like doing is brainstorming while listening to music.  Especially dramatic concertos, or operas.  Has to be a multi movement piece though.  Stand alone ones don't tend to have enough contrast.

And some times you just have to break out the O Fortuna  ;)

Clearly, your fingers do not develop phantom pain from the experience of having to play Carmina.  ;)  It's glorious, amazing and incredible, yes.  That's matched with draining, exhausting, stiffening and aching.   Marriage of Figaro is the same way.  At least Carmina has its easy bits though, Mozart always takes it out of you.  He's so damned unforgiving.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
I'm like Neurovore.  Maybe for a 1st write, but not anything after. 

My problem with writing and music in tandem is that I tend to listen to actively listen to music.  I don't do passive listening very well, or very consistently.

Sometimes a brisk piece is helpful to keep me from landing in the doldrums though.  The enforced tempo can be great for mandating mental activity.

What I DO like doing is brainstorming while listening to music.  Especially dramatic concertos, or operas.  Has to be a multi movement piece though.  Stand alone ones don't tend to have enough contrast.
Same for me.  Lyrics get distracting when Im writing, in the same way it's distracting to listen to some jerk rattle off random numbers while you're trying to do math  :P
Clearly, your fingers do not develop phantom pain from the experience of having to play Carmina.  ;)  It's glorious, amazing and incredible, yes.  That's matched with draining, exhausting, stiffening and aching.   Marriage of Figaro is the same way.  At least Carmina has its easy bits though, Mozart always takes it out of you.  He's so damned unforgiving.
Clearly I am musically useless and have never experienced that sort of pain  :)  My parents tried to get a late 80's computer to teach me to play the piano as a kid, but it was an abyssal failure. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
Been alternating between Downeaster Alexa to put me in the 'back against the wall' mood and then metallica for when I'm actually writing.  Sadly most of my metallica is their later stuff.  I need some 2x4 and that Genie one where 'I wish I may, I wish I might' I need some power tunes!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

spywolf

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
I actually find it difficult to write without music. I have a selection of tracks I use for inspiring certain types of scene and I've been known to come up with new scenes or even whole book ideas just listening to a particular piece of music.

this is me
I am always listening to music when I am writing
does not matter if it is a project for school or a creatie writing project I am doing in my free time...

Offline Carnifex:Pacifex

• Participant
  • Phobophage, Silicomancer, Hemomancer,and Christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 06:38:26 PM »
just out of curiosity, does anyone here listen to Post-Rock? bands like Mono, GodSpeed You BLack EMperor, or This Will Destroy You?
generally the slow, mellow, emotional rock that builds up into legendary climaxes?  can be really beautiful, or incredibly sorrowful?
If not, and if you are curious, and if you have the thyme, I would reccomend checking out Mono's "ashes in the snow" for a great example.

I mostly mention thise because Post-Rock tends to be the most inspiring for me.
Its time for a harvest...

"Pride is a spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."-C.S. Lewis

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
I tend to come up with ideas to music.  But for the actual translation from ideas to fingers, I can't have music on.  It would be, to me, like having a fiction book open next to me as I write...much too likely to push me off-course.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
just out of curiosity, does anyone here listen to Post-Rock? bands like Mono, GodSpeed You BLack EMperor, or This Will Destroy You?
generally the slow, mellow, emotional rock that builds up into legendary climaxes?  can be really beautiful, or incredibly sorrowful?
If not, and if you are curious, and if you have the thyme, I would reccomend checking out Mono's "ashes in the snow" for a great example.

I mostly mention thise because Post-Rock tends to be the most inspiring for me.

I was not familiar with the term post-rock until I looked it up.  Spent some time listening to excerpts of the bands that you mentioned.  Intriguing.  I may need to pick some of it up and give it a try.  Right now, I'm on a progressive music kick -- Porcupine Tree, Coheed & Cambria, Anathema, Transatlantic, and the Flower Kings.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline Carnifex:Pacifex

• Participant
  • Phobophage, Silicomancer, Hemomancer,and Christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
sweet. ill check thsoe guys out, Im in need of some new artists ^_^
Its time for a harvest...

"Pride is a spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."-C.S. Lewis

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Often write with music on. Either mp3's on winamp, some CD's or listening to an online radiostation (www.regenradio.net). That siad, if I listen to the radiostation I will often check into the chat associated to it as well so it willdefinetly cut down on my writing...

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...