Author Topic: Newbie GM looking for PC-related advice  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie GM looking for PC-related advice
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2013, 07:58:54 PM »
Crafting items is a thaumaturgic function, however it's also narrow enough to be considered a theme.  Themes allow all functions of magic flavored by that theme.

Necromancy for instance can do crafting, divination, solve impossible problems, summoning, Conjuration, etc.  As long as the magic performed has a necromantic flavor it's fine.

So crafting themed magic can also do crafting, divination, wards, conjuration, summoning, solving impossible problems, divination, etc.  As long as an item is being crafted that holds and executes the spell then it can do whatever you can think of.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie GM looking for PC-related advice
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
The reason that the powers are written the way they are is so that they don't have to write a specific set of powers for every possible variation.

So, a guy to turns into a crow might look like like:

-1 echoes of the beast
-1 beast change
+1 human form, covering:
-1 Wings
-1 Diminutive size
=
-3 refresh

While a guy who turns into a T-Rex might look like
-1 echoes of the beast
-1 beast change
+1 human form, covering:
-2 inhuman speed
-6 mythic strength
-6 mythic toughness
-2 hulking size
=
-17 refresh

But the people who wrote the book don't need to write a specific 'turn into a bird for -3 refresh' power, just like they don't need to write a 'turn into a T-Rex for -17 refresh' power.

So, for example, you might build yourself an 'amnesiac assassin' type character who has beast change, but doesn't turn into anything at all.  He just switches from being a nice chef to Mr. Kill Bot in his head, without any creature features at all.

Or you can change forms without the beast change power, if you don't feel like changing your skill totals around, or whatever.

-------------

One thing that pure mortals with very high refresh can do is act as human bombs.

Example:
Harry Dresden: "We are really in trouble here, my force 10 combat evocations barely scratch it!"

Juan Doe, the human bomb: "I got this"
Juan Doe steps forward and swings his might fist of justice (And pays fate points to invoke around 12 aspects).  My fists total is 30.  No, I don't have any stunts that up my fists damage.

Harry Dresden: "... That was a demi-god, Juan, and you laid it out with one punch.  How did you do that?"

Juan Doe: "Un poco con la puņo de Juan y otro poco con la mano de Dios"

---------------

Admittedly, I think that's a bit silly.  But I do see how being able to hand of god something once a session could appeal to some players.