Author Topic: Making effective PCs that aren't wizards?  (Read 46740 times)

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Making effective PCs that aren't wizards?
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
Fair enough. I've never seen anyone make the argument that D&D or WoD's rules are story-focused, myself. Focused on a character's abilities, yes, but not on story.

I've played both D&D and WoD, and I think the distinction is more that the older, more traditional gaming systems were operating from a division of labor perspective where the players would generate and develop their characters, while the GM was responsible for the plot, setting, and NPCs (some or all of which could be drawn from pre-gen campaigns, setting books, etc.).  I wouldn't say that FATE is more story-focused (WoD was the "Storyteller" system, after all!), just that the introduction of character-sheet Aspects and the more collaborative campaign-generation style modeled in Your Story breaks down the traditional division of labor and pushes the players to be more involved in the behind-the-scenes initial development of the campaign itself, not just the characters they would be playing.  The other systems were plenty story-focused, but not as much during character creation (other than backstory bits), since it was understood that things like story arcs and antagonists were for the GM to develop, not the players.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
It is a weakness, but describing it as a need for prep time is misleading. Makes it sound like Wizards are weak whenever a fight they didn't expect shows up, when actually they're just fine as long as they've got their stuff. And if they don't have their stuff, prep time probably won't save them.
Tomato tomahto, then. I consider having the foresight to bring their stuff to be more or less the same as prep time. Also prep time helps because, as you pointed out, because of the other stats they need high, a wizard typically has a lower initiative. So being able to take a round or two of prep before a fight properly starts can make a difference if once it does everyone else on the field gets to go before you.

A sword wielded by a strong and skilled person swings harder and cuts deeper.

Isn't that obvious?
Reflected by a high Weapons stat, by my preference. I just think the flat +2 to damage is too much, and pushes mortal melee weapon damage to a degree it's not supposed to go.

It's not something I've done. If you just take 5 Refresh points and spend them on being strong and tough with a Catch of Cold Iron, you can probably kill Ursiel 1v1 with Great Weapons.

I'm not talking crazy munchkin characters here. Just basic "combat skill is in the highest slot, spent some Refresh on fighting" characters.
By "something I've done" I mean coming up with these stunts.

The mortal has a massive pile of FP and can wear armour. He'll win, no problem.

Obviously he'll fight better if he invests Refresh in fighting. But he can win without doing so.
There's a significant difference between "he can win by spending his fate points" and "he'll always win just by hitting attack over and over." The former, to me, is more in keeping with the spirit of the game's world for mortals.

Imagine a stunt that gives you +3 stress with Fists attacks if you happen to be holding a greatsword or a warhammer.

Ta-da! Armed Arts as a stress booster!
A stress booster that, at best, brings you on par with someone just using the Weapons skill. It's not the idea of melee attacks having Weapon ratings that I'm against, it's the idea of melee attacks having weapon ratings of 4 and 5 that I'm against. The book pretty clearly suggests that Weapon:4 and above is, again, either massively destructive or damn near impossible to carry around, unless you're using Supernatural power of some kind.

Yes. But they must be bought separately. Weapon Focus just pumps accuracy.
For clarification purposes, assume I'm just lumping them all together, because if you're taking one, you might as well take the whole set.

I know.

Nonetheless, 2 is obviously not the maximum.
The maximum you're supposed to get without some kind of penalty or additional cost, then. The full +2 shouldn't be for something you're going to be using all the time.

Fair.

I think you're wrong though. I mean, I'm pretty sure most games wouldn't let you bring a broadsword or assault rifle everywhere. And that's not necessarily a Compel, since a weapon's not part of your character.

And if you're using a weapon that you can take everywhere, you're weakening yourself.
If a weapon is so central to the character you're taking stunts just for it, then I'd say yes, it's a compellable part of the character. Generally speaking, I tend to hold that any situation that makes your character significantly less effective (like a sword wielder being forced to forgo his sword) is grounds for a fate point.

Maneuvering is still valuable. The only time it's not is when you can easily inflict consequences. Against tough, fast, or magically protected foes, you'll likely maneuver a lot.
Not if even that toughness, speed, and protection is already overcome by these types of stunts.

Shooting counts as a straight fight. Her apex skill is Guns, she's better at fighting outside of hand-to-hand.
But she's still held up as one of the top physical fighters in the series. She might be better at guns, but she's clearly supposed to be high up there on a physical sense. And yet the only time she tussles with anything supernatural physically and isn't maimed or nearly killed, it's when she's literally got God (and Bob) on her side.

That, to me, heavily implies that pure mortals shouldn't be able to just fist fight supernatural creatures, while these stunts make any physical confrontation heavily slanted in favor of a pure mortal.

Really?

I thought my games were pretty violent, but I find people invest plenty in stuff other than ass-kicking. I mean, violence only gets you so far.
I didn't say it was the only stats they had, just that they focused there. My players put things into stuff like Investigation and stuff as well, we just eschew social conflict mainly because we're primarily free-form roleplayers, and would rather social stuff come down to roleplaying than dice rolling.

It's meaningful, but it doesn't prevent you from fighting alongside one another.
No, but it means certain characters are always going to make the meaningful contribution to a fight while others don't.

Because that's how the system works. Things stack unless specifically prohibited. This isn't in doubt at all, it's all over the rules.

(Also you can stack armour under certain special circumstances.)
Where does it say that? If anything, I remember the rulebook having to note specifically where things do stack, especially in regard to stunts.

They are. Stunts can't take you to the level that a supernatural combatant will have. Unless, of course, you cripple your supernaturals OW-style.
This is the attitude I'm talking about--the thinking that the entirety of one of the rulebooks is "crippled" because of the overinflation of PC abilities.

No they aren't.

Compare, say, Bow Specialization with Inhuman Strength.

Bow Specialization gives +2 stress with bows.

Inhuman Strength gives +2 stress with bows, +2 stress with thrown weapons, +2 stress with unarmed attacks, +3 to lift, +3 to break, +1 to grapple, automatic +1 when Might modifies, +1 stress to grapple attacks, +1 zone moved in a grapple, and +2 stress with melee weapons.
Most of that isn't going to come into play in a fight. Lifting and breaking are typically out of combat, I honestly find grappling next to useless unless you're built specifically for it (takes at least an extra round to set up, and the target's almost always going to try and break it with their apex skill). But physical attack for physical attack--and this sort of stunt is only going to encourage that--the weapon specialization matches the bonus to Inhuman Strength.

You can still maneuver if you want. You just don't have to.
And with these stunts, you'll rarely have to.

Incidentally, where does it say that?
I don't have the page number offhand, but it's a mix of the text and a sidebar, where the text notes that most fights will boil down to a lot of maneuvers and blocks more than attacks, with the sidebar of Harry saying that's how a lot of his fights played out.

It means they are similarly able to accomplish things. Murphy's player has as much power as Harry's does.
But not the same way. Look at the story Aftermath, for instance. Murphy outright says if Harry was there, he'd have solved the thing in minutes--put up a tracking spell, waltz in, blast the badguys with fire, then go home and have a beer. Murphy might eventually get to the same result, but she has to do a lot of maneuvering, set up an ambush, several declarations, and in the end she barely scrapes out of it alive. Mortals might make it to the same destination, but they have to take a different route--and these stunts bypass all that.

Min-maxing is and should be a seperate issue from story focus. I have had bad experiences who use "story focus" as an excuse for poor character building and making the game un-fun for the rest of the group.
If you want to roleplay an incompetent twit and the GM has no problems with it, then even if you are a good friend (and the guy whose character was an incompetent twit remains a good friend), I will be quite happy that "my character could kick your character's ass" and have my character do so.
I have called people out for making poor tactical choices in-game and/or using their characters' abilities in a sub-optimal manner because it forces the rest of the players and their characters to pick up the slack. I can do without such self-maturbatory tendencies in games I play. I find such "story focused" (but not optimised) characters incredibly selfish, instead of hogging the spotlight because their characters are uber-capable and moving the plot forward, these characters are hogging the spotlight and bogging the game down because they are uber-incompetent!
And often these are the players who have the gall to whine (to other people and on forums) that they are simply "roleplaying" and the other guys are "min-maxers", "powergamers" or "munchkins". I feel myself wanting more to take a swing at these clowns than those players who bring one-dimensional giant thews barbarians who can benchpress the world or fighters whose roundhouse kicks can kill gods.
I have to disagree with all of this. It sounds a lot more like you just don't like that they're not playing the game the way you do. There's a lot more vitriol and anger in this post than there should be. Don't get yourself so bent out of shape just because someone else builds and plays a character in a way that you don't approve of.

And really, what's the fun in making all the right tactical choices? Can you imagine how boring the books would be if Harry did everything right?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:54:33 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2013, 04:11:53 PM »
@Mr.Death
Incidentally, where does it say that?

I don't have the page number offhand, but it's a mix of the text and a sidebar, where the text notes that most fights will boil down to a lot of maneuvers and blocks more than attacks, with the sidebar of Harry saying that's how a lot of his fights played out.

I believe you're referring to YS199.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
The ow creatures are quite weak so using them as a comparison doesn't accomplish much.
Many types of characters with at least half assed combat abilities can roll the majority of the randoms in ow.

In GS Murphy manhandled a  whamp quite effectively without any apparent help from Bob or God.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »
The ow creatures are quite weak so using them as a comparison doesn't accomplish much.
Many types of characters with at least half assed combat abilities can roll the majority of the randoms in ow.

In GS Murphy manhandled a  whamp quite effectively without any apparent help from Bob or God.
A WCV who Harry notes was uninvited through a threshold, who Murphy took totally by surprise (probably a Deceit maneuver for an 'ambush' effect), and who we've never seen in a fight. And it wasn't really a fight--Murphy pistolwhipped her, smashed her face in, and it was over. In game terms, probably it was a social ambush (use Deceit so the vampire thinks Murphy's about to give in, and thus isn't prepared to defend), with a Fists attack (or maybe Guns, if you want to sell the Pistol Whip as such), then an Intimidation roll tagging the resulting consequences.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
I tend to agree with Mr D on that it's very very easy to make wildly OP stunts, that while they don't break the rules, certainly bend them, as well as (IMO) going against the spirit f what stunts are supposed to do.

YS says a stunt should almost never give a flat bonus every time you roll said skill.  The problem is "almost never" is subjective, as well is how big a bonus the stunt should give.

It's not too hard to incorporate a useage scale into the basic stunt creation.  You get X bonus under Y conditions.  So let's say you have a stunt that gives you a bonus to the weapons skill.  If you're only going to meet the conditions 25% of the time you make a weapons roll (factoring in any mechanical conditions needed to trigger it) then it's probably worth a +3.  50% of the time or less, +2.  Anything over that should never be higher than a +1 bonus IMO.  As you're getting the bonus the majority of the time you roll said skill, and it's likely you'll make stunts around your apex skills.  So you'll be rolling said skills very often.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
@polkaneverdies
That we know of!  ;) (Though I like to think it was just overflowing bad ass-ness of Murphy at that point in the novels).

@Mr.Death
Good points about that scene (I should re-read Ghost Story...good stuff).

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »
Excellent point about the threshold, that I had forgotten.

What Murphy did was enough to be guilty of "aggravated battery with a deadly weapon".
The fact that she won quickly doesn't make it not a fight.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2013, 06:35:08 PM »
Eh, I'd say it's the fact that Felicia didn't so much as throw a punch back that makes it not a fight.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
Alright, then change my comment from " fighting a whamp" to beating on a whamp.
Admittedly with threshold dampened powers.
Can anyone refresh my memory on the strength of the threshold? I haven't read GS in a while.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:47 PM »
It was Murphy's house, so I imagine, if we use the rules we were talking about earlier...you're looking at +6

I wouldn't think that vamp had much in the way of any powers left.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
It was Murphy's house, so I imagine, if we use the rules we were talking about earlier...you're looking at +6

I wouldn't think that vamp had much in the way of any powers left.
We know at least 3 generations of her family lived in that house.  Not only that but at that point it had also been warded by the Paranet.  So you're probably looking at a 7 or 8 in theory.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
Thanks. Don't worry, I don't feel like I'm unwelcome. I can just see that this topic is getting some emotional reactions from a few people and aside from the difficulty in having a proper discussion when that happens, I simply don't want to get into an argument with anyone over it.

Eh, I don't feel particularly emotional about the whole thing.

It's just that I actually have had heard people claim that D&D or Storyteller is somehow exceptionally story-focused. It's like democracy; every country is the most democratic, according to their governments.

I believe you're referring to YS199.

Thanks.

That note is quite correct regardless of what abilities you have, by the way. Attacking isn't usually a good idea unless you think can do real damage.

It's not too hard to incorporate a useage scale into the basic stunt creation.  You get X bonus under Y conditions.  So let's say you have a stunt that gives you a bonus to the weapons skill.  If you're only going to meet the conditions 25% of the time you make a weapons roll (factoring in any mechanical conditions needed to trigger it) then it's probably worth a +3.  50% of the time or less, +2.  Anything over that should never be higher than a +1 bonus IMO.

I think you're a bit too generous. Suppose a stunt gives a bonus to defence rolls so long as you have your Sword of the Cross in hand.

Odds are good that at least half of your Weapons rolls will involve attacking or maneuvering. So that's 50% right there. Add in the occasional Weapon Knowledge roll and you've got maybe 45%. Factor in the fact that you won't have your Sword all the time, and you can probably get down to 25%.

But a +3 bonus is clearly too much.

Tomato tomahto, then. I consider having the foresight to bring their stuff to be more or less the same as prep time.

Those two things aren't the same. They play out really differently.

By "something I've done" I mean coming up with these stunts.
This is the attitude I'm talking about--the thinking that the entirety of one of the rulebooks is "crippled" because of the overinflation of PC abilities.

As I said before, it happens without these stunts. Look at the first post of this thread, and think about how much in OW could survive one of the rotes of the character sketched out there.

People make characters that can murder pretty much everything in OW all the time, without using these stunts or even really trying to optimize.

A stress booster that, at best, brings you on par with someone just using the Weapons skill. It's not the idea of melee attacks having Weapon ratings that I'm against, it's the idea of melee attacks having weapon ratings of 4 and 5 that I'm against. The book pretty clearly suggests that Weapon:4 and above is, again, either massively destructive or damn near impossible to carry around, unless you're using Supernatural power of some kind.

The book suggests that getting weapon 4+ for free is a big deal. Once you start spending Refresh it's obviously a different matter.

For clarification purposes, assume I'm just lumping them all together, because if you're taking one, you might as well take the whole set.

You're wrong about that. It's often optimal only to take one.

If a weapon is so central to the character you're taking stunts just for it, then I'd say yes, it's a compellable part of the character. Generally speaking, I tend to hold that any situation that makes your character significantly less effective (like a sword wielder being forced to forgo his sword) is grounds for a fate point.

Well, if you specifically alter the rules of the game to compensate people every time their stunt's limitations come up, obviously their stunt is going to be broken.

Which raises the question. Why would you do that?

Not if even that toughness, speed, and protection is already overcome by these types of stunts.

They generally can't be.

But she's still held up as one of the top physical fighters in the series. She might be better at guns, but she's clearly supposed to be high up there on a physical sense.

She's like five feet tall, female, and ageing. She is not the pinnacle of fist-fighting ability.

Fortunately she has guns.

I didn't say it was the only stats they had, just that they focused there. My players put things into stuff like Investigation and stuff as well, we just eschew social conflict mainly because we're primarily free-form roleplayers, and would rather social stuff come down to roleplaying than dice rolling.

Yeah, that's gonna shake up the game balance a bit. Probably not enough to wreck a game, but enough that things will be noticeably over/under powered if you don't throw in some additional houserules.

You're ditching a major part of the rules, after all.

Where does it say that? If anything, I remember the rulebook having to note specifically where things do stack, especially in regard to stunts.

They note it for stunts because of the other note saying stunts don't stack.

But for the most part bonuses like the Speed Athletics boost are just thrown out there and assumed to stack with whatever.

This is perfectly in accordance with normal math, where 1 + 1 generally equals 2. Though of course there are exceptions to that.

Most of that isn't going to come into play in a fight.

As I said, Inhuman Strength is only equal to Bow Specialization if your game is 100% combat and players are always able to use their preferred tactic.

Inhuman Strength is broadly potent. A +2 stress stunt gives you about 1/7 of its effects for 1/2 of its price. That's a good deal if and only if you really want to specialize.

Do you know much math? I have an analogy I like, but you have to understand vectors to get it.

But not the same way. Look at the story Aftermath, for instance. Murphy outright says if Harry was there, he'd have solved the thing in minutes--put up a tracking spell, waltz in, blast the badguys with fire, then go home and have a beer. Murphy might eventually get to the same result, but she has to do a lot of maneuvering, set up an ambush, several declarations, and in the end she barely scrapes out of it alive. Mortals might make it to the same destination, but they have to take a different route--and these stunts bypass all that.

No, they really don't.

A mortal can get accuracy 5 weapon 5 at Feet In The Water. A pyromancer can get weapon 7 accuracy 7. (Actually a pyromancer can go past that, but I'd rather not use an extreme example.)

Fortunately mortals have FP to make up for the discrepancy.

And really, what's the fun in making all the right tactical choices? Can you imagine how boring the books would be if Harry did everything right?

Harry does everything right.

Whenever you think he's dumb, it's a Compel.

(Or maybe not, but it's a valid view.)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2013, 04:22:33 AM »
I have to disagree with all of this. It sounds a lot more like you just don't like that they're not playing the game the way you do. There's a lot more vitriol and anger in this post than there should be. Don't get yourself so bent out of shape just because someone else builds and plays a character in a way that you don't approve of.

I do not mind that they do not play the game the way I do per se. I do mind that their playstyle reduces my (and other peoples') enjoyment of the game. I know I was striking a discordant note in my post, but I think I might have underestimated how jarring my counterpoints were. I think you are attributing anger and vitriol where there is none intended. Don't get yourself so bent out of shape just because someone else advocates gaming in a way that you don't approve of.

What's the fun in making all the right tactical choices? I find the right tactical choices lead to less headaches for one, less stress for another, and a higher likelihood of success in the third. I game for fun, I find success fun, I find failure stressful. I am a simple person and can do with less stress and more fun.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2013, 04:30:55 AM »
Easy, folks.  Ya gotta assume Marcone's reading these posts and getting ideas.   ;D

What I'm afraid of is the concept that a character must be 'optimized' to be effective.  IMO, it seems that the dilemma is that people haven't different concepts of what an 'optimized' PC is.  That brings us to "vanilla" mortals.
1) Can a vanilla mortal, through the proper use of stunts (I will ignore reality for a moment since the entire game is about over the top action), be an 'optimized' character?  My answer is 'yes' with the qualifier that you and I may have differing opinions of what 'optimized' means.  I'm hoping it means more than "I see it, I kill it."  My idea is that it means "She's good at what she sets out to do and what she puts her mind towards doing."  There.  That said, my optimizing may look like story-focusing to you. 
2) That said, am I story-focusing when I role-play my sorcerer into making bad or stupid moves because that's part of who/what he is?  When I use my abilities in a sub-optimal manner?  If I use my hard-won skill points to buy up my Performance instead of Guns, Weapons, Resources, Contacts or Burglary, am I hogging the spotlight because I'm not making a spell-slinging killmaster? (My sorcerer Crafts musical instruments by hand)

When I GM my campaign, I welcome all types to my table, "Story-focused" or otherwise.  If a player wants his character's form of offense to be Social instead of Physical, that's fine with me.  If she wants to run someone that's not that good in a fight, fine with me.  Hence the 'RP' in the DFRPG.  She'll miss out on action and I'll tell her so, but that's her choice--dare I say, Free Will?  Likewise if someone wants to run a Kill Master, I'll say fine.  Just don't expect to make many friends and be constantly outmaneuvered or duped by NPC's.  Hope his buddies will take up the slack.

Things is, the nature of the game FORCES us to specialize; otherwise, I'd just put down 4's and 5's in all the skills I'd like.  Like it or not, PC's will have weak spots.

On the other hand, if it's your fellow players that are being stupid without regard to their respective character's Aspects and skills, then my apologies.  Perhaps you can gently remind them of what their PC's potential for aid and help in the game can be.  Perhaps describing some story or movie archetypes may be useful for them...
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.