Author Topic: How many points would this potion cost to make?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Holywhippet

• Participant
    • View Profile
How many points would this potion cost to make?
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:56:09 AM »
 When I first started my current character (a wizard) I gave them a potion that duplicated the effect of the supernatural toughness trait. At the time I didn't know the rules very well and my DM (IIRC) told me it would cost 2 enchanted item slots to make.

Since then I decided to make a potion of inhuman recovery and asked my DM to confirm the cost. He couldn't seem to decide how much it should cost and came up with a house rule that I could have up to my lore skill in potions of that sort (based on refresh cost) and it would cost me the refresh cost in enchanted item slots for anything more than that.

I'm worried that might be a bit overpowered though. Any thoughts?

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How many points would this potion cost to make?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:26:07 AM »
A general guideline I've seen for temporary powers from thaum is as follows: A base of three shifts to place an appropriate Aspect to justify the power, plus two shifts per point of Refresh of the power. I've also seen suggestions that transformation effects should always inflict consequences, to justify the Second Law; scaling suggests that it should be consequences of stress value equal to twice the power's Refresh value. Recovery powers seem like an obvious exception, since they don't really constitute a transformation and it's kind of counter-productive to inflict consequences with a power that removes them. So a potion of healing (Inhuman Recovery for one scene) would be a Power 7 item (base 3, plus 2*2 for Inhuman).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:45 AM »
I don't know if there's any canonical word on how much complexity it takes to grant Powers temporarily. I know some people say you need enough to take out the Power-grant-ee.

The important thing to remember is that in order to get temporary Powers you need to spend Fate Points equal to their Refresh cost. Some people will let Aspect tags be used in place of FP.

I can rustle up some links if you want.

EDIT: Honestly, though, I think you'd be better off just abandoning the idea. Model it as a Reiki Healing spell in a bottle or as a maneuver to put a QUICK-HEALING Aspect on someone. Or just take Recovery and attach the Limitation custom Power to it so that you need to drink a potion to activate your healing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:42:57 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:49:07 AM »
Technically by RAW:
Roll required to beat Endurance (Endurance+5 to beat best roll, ignored for willing targets, like yourself)
Total Stress+1 Shift to "take out" character (plus stress for consequences if character chooses to resist, ignored for self)
Three shifts per point of refresh (to place aspect taggable for temporary power FP requirement) OR you can take consequences to satisfy this, gaining one tag per consequence.

So for a willing character with Good Endurance, you're looking at 5(four stress plus one)+2 (mild consequence)+3 (second aspect)=10 shifts for any two refresh power if you're willing to take a mild consequence.  11 shifts if you're not. 

If you've got FP to burn, you can get away with not placing the aspects and spending one FP per point of Refresh instead.  So a two refresh power would be 5 shifts plus two FP, or 8 shifts plus 1 FP, or 7 shifts plus a consequence and 1 FP.

Removing the aspects (including consequences) could conceivably remove the power, depending on the GM.

Offline Holywhippet

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:12:20 AM »
 Thanks. I'll run these ideas past my DM.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »
Also note, that, without regard to the duration of the spell, you need to burn 1 fp/tag per refresh per scene where it comes into play. This can add up REALLY quickly.