Author Topic: 1940s DFRPG  (Read 1963 times)

Offline KingRob

• Lurker
    • View Profile
1940s DFRPG
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
I'm working on a campaign set in Chicago during WW2. I just thought I'd open a quick thread to get people's thoughts on any events that we know happened during the '40s or any cool stories that you think I should include.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: 1940s DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
Well, for one thing, a lot of men were overseas fighting the war. In addition to this meaning more women went to work, in the Dresden-verse, it might mean that supernatural predation is up without the presence of the men to ward off supernatural predators in reality or perception.

Or maybe some supernatural nations allied with the Axis are in the US doing covert ops against the war effort.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline KingRob

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:34:48 PM »
I meant more, anything we know is happening canonically in the Dresdenverse.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KingRob

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »
That sounds like an awesome time to set a campaign. I think you'll definitely want some Black Cat investigators, regardless of the canonical timeframe for them.

Plenty of scope for themes of helplessness, and "those left at home," while the War is being fought. All eyes are on Europe and the Pacific Theatre. It's the perfect time for supernatural forces to make a play for increase in power.

There's an awakening in American culture at this time. Sex is being sold much more openly, in glamour shots and the rise of swing and the musical trends that will eventually give birth to rock and roll, so the White Court could be on the rise, feeding on the swell of emotion. Fear of the Axis' advance. Despair as loved ones go missing or return home in boxes. Lust indulged in to block out the pain.

And of course, you know you're going to want evil occult-powered Nazi agents trying to infiltrate the States. Hitler was fascinated by the occult, even obsessed by it. Imagine if he had wizard advisors? Or Fey? Allies who could tell him how to open a Way from Berlin right into the heart of the US?

Offline SkywardEyes

• Conversationalist
  • The Myth. The Legend. The One Free Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »
This sounds pretty close to a game that I am planning for 1960s Chicago. Height of the Cold War parnoia and when the Democratic Machine/The Outfit was just dominating Chicago. I live in Chicago so its easy to get ideas for locations but I'm having trouble coming up with supernatural stuff. Maybe we should compare notes or something.  ;D
"I serve a clan whose morals change with the seasons. I killed a man who may have been my father. I do not know who I am, but I know that my path is mine and mine alone." Yoritomo Eriko

Offline KingRob

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »
Yeah, I definitely think the Black Cats will need to be antagonists/allies, depending on how the campaign plays out. I was also thinking of having various supernatural groups trying to seize control in the States while the Council (and the world) are pretty focused on Europe. I hadn't thought about the rise in sexualized media and the White Court, but I really like that idea.

I think I'm going to have Kemmler be the power behind Hitler, so Nazi Necromancers are a definite possibility for my poor players. XD

I'm happy to compare notes. My game is still in an early planning stage, but my next step is going to be doing some research on locations and NPCs that were present during the '40s.

(click to show/hide)

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
 I had someone ask me to make up a banner for his Dresden game set during WW2.  I did it thinking I would get to play in the campaign but that never happened.  Made me very sad.  :C  Here is what I came up with:

It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline KingRob

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
That's really awesome looking!