Author Topic: character Templates/Story Arc Ideas  (Read 2360 times)

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
character Templates/Story Arc Ideas
« on: March 11, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
Im currently drafting a plan for a story I'm gonna start writing and want to have characters whose stories go outside the main plot and have been a hard time with it so I'd thought I'd ask you guys to help me. It has no set genre, so pretty much anything goes
Rest in peace pinky toe. <Scary Voice> You shall be avenged!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: character Templates/Story Arc Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:56:07 AM »
Im currently drafting a plan for a story I'm gonna start writing and want to have characters whose stories go outside the main plot and have been a hard time with it so I'd thought I'd ask you guys to help me. It has no set genre, so pretty much anything goes

Why do you want to have characters whose story arcs go outside the main plot ? What is their purpose in the story as a whole ?  Not sure I can see any way of offering useful advice until I know what the objective is.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:11:08 AM »
The point of it would be to explore their backgrounds to explain who they are, explain their motives and to track the growth of their abilities. Their stories will have relevence in certain points of the plot and at the end. They'll have affects on the main characters and their actions too, which is really the point

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:23:13 AM »
The point of it would be to explore their backgrounds to explain who they are, explain their motives and to track the growth of their abilities. Their stories will have relevence in certain points of the plot and at the end. They'll have affects on the main characters and their actions too, which is really the point

Write a series of short stories or novellas for each of these characters.  Then go after the mainline novel.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
Write a series of short stories or novellas for each of these characters.  Then go after the mainline novel.

The Deposed King

I totally agree with this. I'm still only an aspiring author, but I feel like any of my supporting characters need to be interesting enough that a short story or full length novel could be written with them as the main character.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
It might not be a bad idea to write a short story explaining each character's background just for your own information. As you write your novel you can include any bits that will move your novel forward. You might find in some cases that it will be an organic fit. Just don't force the background into the story and don't forget and assume that the readers will know the details that you never included. Some background bits might not be needed in the story. Unless it's really important, it's usually ok to leave some to the readers imagination. It's very possible that the Dresden Files will end without us ever knowing the full "origin stories" of many of the major characters although we will probably have a few clues. How did Kincaid become a mercenary and a shooter? What made Michael into the man that became of KotC? Where did Toot Toot get his leadership abilities? It doesn't make these characters less enjoyable because we don't know every detail of their past.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »
I think I didn't actually say what I wanted help with. What I meant was I wanted help actually making up characters and their abilities

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »
This:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/character-cafe/threads/70798
may be of help. There are PDF versions somewhere that you can download and fill in the blanks (or at least there used to be; I can't seem to find them.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:42 AM »
Thanks this should be really helpful