Author Topic: When to start an author website?  (Read 5225 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: When to start an author website?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:05 AM »
Thanks for the links! All very informative.

The problem with me is that I can worry about anything. I worry about my writing, my characters, my plot, my setting, the publishing industry, book trends, whether or not Elvis is still alive...

However, I DO enjoy writing the book, and as an indicator of whether I'm writing for me or just chasing a trend that's not to be sneezed at, and hopefully other people can tell the difference.

Is your book done arianne?  If so I would put all this energy into writing a sequel or if the idea of missing a trend is just too much on your brain write a book in a new genre.

You don't want to siphon away your creative time and mental horsepower on whether or not the book you've written will be (flawed, ignored, not liked, missing the wave, etc.) put your love and ingenuity into your book and so long as you love it, there's a good chance your prospective readers will as well.

Don't let yourself get so worried.  It'll slow you down and tempt you to quit or switch to writing something else.  You can do this.  You are writing for your audience, yes, never forget that.  But so long as you are also writing for youself and putting out the kind of product you would enjoy and love to read.  The readers have a much better chance of seeing that and falling in love with your creation as well.

In short, get advice and tips and everything else, sure, but keep your focus on you writing!

my 0.2c for what its worth.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »
There are days where I think everything is going fantastically and I believe that I am the greatest writer in the world, and then there are days where I am convinced that no one will ever "get" what it is I'm trying to say and then I start worrying about...well, everything... :'(

I realize that this is a problem and I really should be focusing on the writing... (In fact, what am I doing here?? I should be writing!) ;D
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
Deposed King is spot on. If you've got one book done, start another. The more you write, the better you'll get, and if you land a deal or push ahead with self-publishing, it always helps to have a follow-up ready to go. Though I'd give some breathing room between them, both to help your first book spread and so you won't look like you're rashly pushing out books too fast.