Author Topic: Mode and Tense?  (Read 3063 times)

Dr.FunLove

Re: Mode and Tense?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Oh either way works...I write primarily in past tense myself (just not here so far). I'm still working out what I like better for PBP.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
Actually I like using camera analogies a lot because we're mostly all used to how movies use cinematic tricks.

For example I think first person + present tense = character's eye view camera that shakes when they run.

Third person + present tense, on the other hand, would be those action shots that dynamically zoom in for a close-up on the character's face.

Third person + past tense = a more pulled back shot, usually showing multiple characters and background as well.

Do those seem about right?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:21:28 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience with PbP, but what's happened so far is the GM tells me what happens, the ghoul missed, the other tries to trip you, then I re-describe everything with the resolution, like the ghoul succeeding in the trip.  So even though the original action starts from the GM(which might be in present tense), it is all encompassed within my post.  Which gives it some consistency.  Not saying that's best...just how I've done it so far.

@ Ophidimancer

I kind of like that.

I like first person best when talking about things that might be completely wrong.  Like a characters theories on who the bad guy is.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »
Oh and I forgot first person + past tense = flashback or voiceover.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
Aye, I like it for the inner-monlouge flashback/memory.