The Dresden Files > DFRPG

Law Talk

<< < (2/37) > >>

InFerrumVeritas:
1-How does accidentally killing people with magic work?
In our game, killing with magic requires will to gain Lawbreaker.  However, the Wardens largely don't care and will head chop, unless you can get a respected member of the council to go for bat for you.  Note that this doesn't mean that you can throw fire all over the place and say "well I didn't mean to kill them so I shouldn't have to take Lawbreaker…"  This is for "oops, the falling building killed a fireman as he was evacuating people, an hour after I left" and other accidental, highly unlikely, and difficult to foresee events.

2-Does X count as killing with magic?
Very context dependent.  Table should come to agreement before it comes up.

3-Is Sponsored Magic subject to the Laws?
Yes, unless you're compelled to kill.  If you're sponsor is forcing you to do it, it doesn't taint your soul.  Otherwise, it does.  The Wardens may or may not be in a position to prosecute depending on your sponsor. 

Related note, most Sponsored Magic practitioners don't hex when not throwing magic around (but could hex when actively casting).  The magic isn't inside them, just available.

4-Are Enchanted Items subject to the Laws?
Yes. 

5-How much can you mess with somebody's head without breaking a Law?
You can repair magical/psychic damage only (that is, consequences caused by Supernatural Powers).  Looking is okay with consent, and only with consent (as this is not an invasion).  Putting to sleep, inciting emotional response, etc are all fine.  Dealing a mental consequence breaks the Law hard (as it is lasting and relatively permanent damage if untreated).

6-How do the laws work with spells that are intended to break the law but don't, or that are in a "grey are" Law-wise?
This is two different questions.  If you intend to break the law but don't, you don't get Lawbreaker, but the Wardens will come after you if they find out.  "Grey areas" will usually warrant Warden suspicion and possibly action, but won't earn you Lawbreaker.  You only get the bonuses from Lawbreaker stunts when doing something which would earn you that stunt in the first place.

7-Does consent matter?
Depends on the Law.  1-No; 2-Temporary transformations don't break the law with consent, permanent transformations always do because they destroy the target's self, healing is always fine; 3-Yes, you can look but don't touch with consent; 4-Enthralling means you're taking consent away, so no; 5-No; 6-No; 7-No.

8-Do the Laws matter to non-spellcasting powers?
The Laws matter, but I would never make you take Lawbreaker.  If you're human and flavoring your powers as coming from Magic, I'd make you change an aspect.  If you're not human, who cares?  The Wardens'll try to kill you when politically expedient either way.

Theonlyspiral:

--- Quote from: InFerrumVeritas on February 04, 2013, 05:02:55 PM ---4-Are Enchanted Items subject to the Laws?
Yes. 

--- End quote ---
Even Warden Swords? If they Grant Lawbreaker then what is the point? Why don't they just use guns and be over it?

Taran:

--- Quote from: Theonlyspiral on February 04, 2013, 05:07:12 PM ---Even Warden Swords? If they Grant Lawbreaker then what is the point? Why don't they just use guns and be over it?

--- End quote ---

Haru had an interesting point on warden swords.  If you're using it as a sword to kill someone, then it isn't magic but your own innate swordsmanship that is killing.  If you use the magic of the sword to boost the damage, then you're using magic.  There's some debate about whether the weapon 6 counts as an unnaturally sharp sword that, narratively, only comes into play when you activate it, or if it's just a normal sword that only becomes unnaturally sharp when you activate it.

The point though is this:  If I have a magic staff that can shoot off a weapon 5 fire attack 1/session, and you use it to kill someone, then you're using it to break the law.  If you use that same staff to bash someone's head in, then it's not magic and therefore no Lawbreaking.

Theonlyspiral:
So with the Weapon 3 it would be cool, but the Weapon 6 would count as lawbreaker? That seems reasonable. Personally I like the IoP version better myself.

InFerrumVeritas:

--- Quote from: Theonlyspiral on February 04, 2013, 06:21:01 PM ---So with the Weapon 3 it would be cool, but the Weapon 6 would count as lawbreaker? That seems reasonable. Personally I like the IoP version better myself.

--- End quote ---

That's my reasoning.  If it's just a normal sword, it's fine.  You always wouldn't get Lawbreaker if you beat someone over the head with a crystal ball.  You only get Lawbreaker if using Magic in an enchanted item, not the item itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version