Author Topic: "Blade Magic"  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: "Blade Magic"
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »
Finding the True Name of the thing you want to summon is explicitly described as part of the complexity-building process for Summoning in YS, unless I badly misread.

If you want to limit what players can summon with an additional subsystem on top of the standard ritual subsystem, that's fine.

But please don't assume everyone is using the same houserules as you.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Finding the True Name of the thing you want to summon is explicitly described as part of the complexity-building process for Summoning in YS, unless I badly misread.

It is...but at no point is it said that players can do that with any and all possible True Names. GM oversight on such things is assumed, every bit as much as not letting players have vials of nerve gas or rocket launchers casually just because they made a good Resources roll. Justifications and consequences are involved. It being magic doesn't change that.

If you want to limit what players can summon with an additional subsystem on top of the standard ritual subsystem, that's fine.

But please don't assume everyone is using the same houserules as you.

I'm not saying anything about House Rules...just GM oversight, which should be a built-in game assumption.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
Okay, then you shouldn't assume every GM oversees the way the one in your group does.

I don't much care if what you're talking about counts as a houserule, but it's definitely not something that every group should be assumed to be doing.

It's not mandated in the book, and it doesn't really fit with (my image of) the narrative and mechanical set-up of the default game. So you can't just take it for granted.

Offline Viktyr Gehrig

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:20 PM »
I am thinking what I would do is run it as an alternate form of Evocation that required the use of a separate Weapons targeting roll in exchange for a +1 discount, and then allow a "blade magic" high concept to justify Strength/Speed/Toughness/Recovery powers.

Another option would be a Blade Magic stunt on top of standard Evocation that allowed you to use Weapons for targeting and make Zone evocation attacks with a sword that excluded you and your allies when doing so.

Custom evocation that allowed you to add 1/2 Power to the Weapons rating of a sword (for an exchange), cast as a supplemental action to the attack?