Author Topic: Writing vs. Typing  (Read 4967 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Writing vs. Typing
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 08:19:58 PM »
I am trying to get into the habit of doing both.  Handwriting for brainstorming/prewriting/outlining (whatever you want to call it), then typing what I've learned from that pen-and-paper exploration.  That doesn't mean, to any degree, that what I type is the final version.  I'm still discovering as I type, but I have a much better feel for what I'm trying to do.  It's sort of like looking at a map before you visit a new place.

I also learned from my counselor that the physical act of handwriting activates the part of the brain that controls the ability to express thoughts via written word.  So today's lack of pen-and-paper writing is allegedly causing people to struggle with writing in general.  I have not done my own research into this, but I thought that was interesting.  I tend to believe her, too.  Just look at any thread of comments on Youtube...
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
I also learned from my counselor that the physical act of handwriting activates the part of the brain that controls the ability to express thoughts via written word.  So today's lack of pen-and-paper writing is allegedly causing people to struggle with writing in general.  I have not done my own research into this, but I thought that was interesting.  I tend to believe her, too.  Just look at any thread of comments on Youtube...

That's too funny - I was just discussing with a good friend, who is also aspiring to be a writer, about this very thing. I had heard about it a week or two ago, though I forget where. I don't know if it's true or not, but I will admit I write a lot more smoothly on paper, whereas typing I find myself staring blankly at the screen every few moments or so.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »
That's too funny - I was just discussing with a good friend, who is also aspiring to be a writer, about this very thing. I had heard about it a week or two ago, though I forget where. I don't know if it's true or not, but I will admit I write a lot more smoothly on paper, whereas typing I find myself staring blankly at the screen every few moments or so.
I imagine it depends on how you started, and thus how your brain developed its wiring.  Im the complete opposite.  With a pen in my hand I end up staring at the blank page.  But Ive never put much time into handwriting (as my illegible scrawl demonstrates).  By contrast I can pour out thoughts a whole lot better while typing.  I think it has a lot to do with the presence of a backspace key.  Im not a natural speller, but bad spelling often derails my thought process.  So when I can immediately fix my errors with a few twitches and move on I can keep my mental momentum
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Seidmadr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »
I'd like to throw a stick in here that is semi-related to the discussion at hand. It's mostly semantics, sure, but it is a point my friends and I have argued.

If you — in the sense of fairness I'll not use any of the discussed words — put words down on a smartphone or tablet, or any other interface with a touchscreen... Do you write, or do you type?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
I'd like to throw a stick in here that is semi-related to the discussion at hand. It's mostly semantics, sure, but it is a point my friends and I have argued.

If you — in the sense of fairness I'll not use any of the discussed words — put words down on a smartphone or tablet, or any other interface with a touchscreen... Do you write, or do you type?
Using the terms as this thread does, it would depend on if you are using a stylus or free hand drawing finger, or a keyboard interface.  With tablets and such you can do both. 

Though in another sense of the word, writing is the act of ordering words, regardless of how it is accomplished.  You could technically write a poem with Alphabet Soup if you so chose. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »

I would say it's typing.  On a related note, the author Peter V. Brett supposedly wrote The Warded Man on a blackberry during his daily commute.  I find that pretty impressive.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
I like to hand write things first just to get a sense of the tone and basics of the story then I add in the things I feel I missed the first time while typing it up.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
I think it has a lot to do with the presence of a backspace key.  Im not a natural speller, but bad spelling often derails my thought process.  So when I can immediately fix my errors with a few twitches and move on I can keep my mental momentum

The backspace key is my worst enemy. When I sit at a computer to write, I have easily wound up stuck on one-two page/s simply due to the fact that it's way too easy to delete or edit things. I'll second guess words, phrases or even scenes then start changing it up and then I get stuck.

Personally for me, as I've said before, for whatever reason I can allow myself to be messy with handwritten documents. Then I feel more satisfied with the typed up version since I was able to change things as I transfered the story.

I envy people who can sit and type up an entire first draft of a book without going back and trying to fix things immediately.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
I envy people who can sit and type up an entire first draft of a book without going back and trying to fix things immediately.

Not a vital skill for a professional career, sfaict; so far as that goes, being able to produce a good novel a year is primary and the method is secondary.

I have always favoured correcting a sentence that comes out wrong immediately, and reading through and correcting my last week's output as the first thing I do before starting into the next bit.  A couple of years ago I had a bit of a phase shift in how I do larger-scale edits, though, which is more about seeing structural things earlier than anything else; the kind of major pacing shift that I would previously have needed to complete a draft and let it sit for six months to be able to see, I am now often able to see two-thirds of the way through, and fixing it before continuing appears to be a better mode for me.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.