Author Topic: Peer Review Sites  (Read 2762 times)

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
Peer Review Sites
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
I don't know how the Beta Foo's work but there are a couple other writer's sites out there that I do have some experience with. Neither site 'requires' that you critique other's stories to earn critiques of your own. However, you get more and better (more concise and helpful) reviews if you reciprocate.

I've found that doing this also benefits you as a writer since it makes you specifically look at stories with an eye for plot and story lines.

Both sites will be very direct in their critiques so take your extra thick skin if you go there.  :D  Theirs is the kind of help most authors are really looking for though, so I recommend them both.

Don't be put off by FanStory's appearance of requiring money for reviews. You can also earn FanStory dollars by reviewing other author's works. Also, fantasy-writers' acceptance is not immediate. I've never heard of them rejecting anyone, but it takes a day or so for an administrator to approve the request. Here are the links and have fun if you go.  :)

http://www.fanstory.com/index.jsp

http://www.fantasy-writers.org/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:32:31 AM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
Re: Peer Review Sites
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
Hope that post didn't scare anyone off from those sites. The people there are honest in their reviews, but not mean. Mean-spirited reviewers don't last long at either site.
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
Well, I signed up for FanStory. I think you're wrong about it being free, as even after building up a ton of points through grinding reviews, I still couldn't figure out how to post my story without upgrading my membership.

So I did. I look at prices in terms of the latest video game release, and two years' membership at FanStory costs less than Borderlands 2+Mechromancer DLC. Probably better for me in the long run as well. I've posted a short story over there that I have to turn in tomorrow for a class and submit for publication. It's getting five and six star reviews, but I still have niggling doubts.

Here it is if you want to take a look and shoot me a review:

http://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=560732

Never got a response back from the other site. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:55:53 PM by FishStampede »

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:25:24 AM »
Hmmm. I'll have to look more closely at that site, again. It may have changed since the last time I posted a story there (2009). At that time I was able to use my reviewer points to post stories.

I'm sorry if that has changed. I didn't mean to mislead you.  :-[

Also, FanStory seems to be down at the moment. When it comes back on I'll take a look at and review the story. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:29:59 AM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:08:57 AM »

Here it is if you want to take a look and shoot me a review:

http://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=560732

Read and reviewed at FanStory. I rather liked it and wouldn't mind seeing the whole story of the world it's set in.
Dance on, md

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:18:54 PM »
Well, I signed up for FanStory. I think you're wrong about it being free, as even after building up a ton of points through grinding reviews, I still couldn't figure out how to post my story without upgrading my membership.

You're right about needing to be a premier member at FanStory and not being able to use the site credits for it. I don't remember doing that but I guess I must have as I did once have stories there. They say the memory is the first thing to go, but I don't remember who they are.

Ah, well. I still have the reviewers at fwo. By the way, keep checking your e-mails (junk also) for their reply. They can be a bit slow at times.
Dance on, md

Offline slrogers

• Participant
  • Learning the art from those that love the dance...
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
I want to read more of things you've written. I've found an amazon profile but no books ... Let me know when you have something there. (Or where you've moved your books to.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:05:33 AM by slrogers »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
Book Country has a very good reputation among writers. And it does require giving critiques in order to be able to get them.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline slrogers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
Does one need to be aware of legalities when going to one of these peer review sites? What happens if you read or write something very similar to what you or someone else is working on?
 I normally wouldn't worry too much about it, except for all the warnings on this site about posting story lines. It just makes me wonder what exactly are the legalities involved in such things.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »
Well, on this site - not posting story lines is to avoid messing
Jim up on any of his books.
I would think that when you post on any of these critique sites you do run the risk
of running into someone with a similar story line or, possibly,
in having someone borrow your story line inadvertently.
It happens - Harlan Ellison was at a writer's workshop and
lo and behold, some kid who didn't know Harlan at all came in
with a story very, very similar to Harlan's story - Bleeding Stones.
Harlan made arrangements with the kid because he'd heard the
kid's story.  So if it can happen to Harlan it can happen to anyone.

Offline slrogers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »
Well, on this site - not posting story lines is to avoid messing
Jim up on any of his books.
I would think that when you post on any of these critique sites you do run the risk
of running into someone with a similar story line or, possibly,
in having someone borrow your story line inadvertently.
It happens - Harlan Ellison was at a writer's workshop and
lo and behold, some kid who didn't know Harlan at all came in
with a story very, very similar to Harlan's story - Bleeding Stones.
Harlan made arrangements with the kid because he'd heard the
kid's story.  So if it can happen to Harlan it can happen to anyone.

So I think the moral of this is that, these are a good way to get feedback and inexpensive editing, once I've worn my friends out :). It's something to be perhaps a little caucious of?  But in the end don't worry too much and just have fun with it?

That sounds like good advice.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »
So I think the moral of this is that, these are a good way to get feedback and inexpensive editing, once I've worn my friends out :). It's something to be perhaps a little caucious of?  But in the end don't worry too much and just have fun with it?

That sounds like good advice.

Yeah, verily yeah!!