Author Topic: Twilight vamps  (Read 11360 times)

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight vamps
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:49 AM »
I'd probably give them Venomous claws to represent the venom just so they're not Feeding Dependency Brick, The Template.

There's a reason everyone hates them.  ;)

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 01:11:16 AM »
They are strong very strong, with no known weaknesses. They cant actually be burned unless they're broken up first. The writer of the series(who shall remain nameless) said it was the venom that was flammable. The venom replaces all body fluids. Harry would have to open them up first then burn them. Other then that they are true immortals. They simple cant die and for all intents and purposes cant be killed. They would be invulnerable to damage +4 at least, Their strength would vary the youngest ones are the strongest the older weaker, some have extra gifts of strength and could maintain most of their early strength. Their speed is hard to calculate they move faster then a human can see. They can cover cast distances in minutes or hours. Their senses are extremely sharp think microscope to telescope and so sharp that things moving at extreme high speeds appear slow to them. Smell hearing the same. They have the ability actually multitask. Their brains are able to think about many things at once. Say one could play piano perfectly, carry on a conversation not related to what he was playing, while playing a game of chess in their head all the while spending most of their thought effort on how to keep a mortal girl from being killed by the big bads. On top of that some are gifted with mental abilities some with physical abilities some can control the actual elements.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 01:38:50 AM »
In short- a race of gish-y Feeding Dependency Brick Mary Sues. I think an actual, canon-accurate writeup for a newborn vampire comes in at a refresh cost in the high twenties. For, say, Edward, who's Lawbreaking (and story breaking-ba dum tish oh god my life is empty) is maximum, probably about the mid-thirties.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 02:04:20 AM »
So...Supernatural Speed and Strength and Toughness, the Undying and Extra Appendages custom Powers, Blood Drinker, and 3 Refresh worth of Supernatural Senses. Minimum 18 Refresh.

More if you give them Venomous Claws or psionics.

That's pretty powerful.

Would Feeding Dependency be appropriate? That could bring the cost down a little.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »
I had strength and speed at Mythic, with a possible Physical Immunity with the Catch of, "literally ripped to shreds and burned", which isn't a Catch at all. They're doing at least eighty mph on foot and can basically just slap a speeding car to a dead halt. One handed. Feeding Dependency is appropriate, but the  detriment is basically absent. You kind of just get a little less sane and more "evil" if you don't feed, and even the evil thing is debatable. I'd give them Venomous Claws and from what I recall, enough of them (more than fifty percent) have the psionics, so i'd make it a Must of the template, or at least an Option. Like how "At Range" is an "Option" for WCVs.

also, extra appendages derp kerwoo wha? They're bilaterally symmetrical.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 02:36:11 AM »
Extra Appendages is mechanically appropriate for representing supernatural speed and multi-tasking ability. I suppose you might want to rename it, but it fits the description given here.

With high physical skills and maybe an occasional Invoke, a vamp could equal a car in speed and force with Supernatural Powers. At least by my reading.

Physical Immunity is not a good way to represent immortality, since it grants invincibility.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:41 AM »
I used Physical Immunity because in the canonical thing, i'm pretty sure the only thing that kills vampires is other vampires. I'd have the Catch as other things with at least Inhuman+ strength. And thank you for the clarification. There's also this weird age progression/strength ratio that's actually modeled weirdly well in the DFRPG- When they're newborn (Year one, i believe) they might have one building block at Mythic and all the rest at Supernatural, and they gradually lose strength, representing gaining more control over their bloodlust. (Mechanically, they'd be gaining Fate Points with which to resist compels against "bloodthirsty" or sommat)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 05:01:54 AM »
They can't be harmed be anything except each other? Wow, that is unfair.

And yeah, that Power progression is weird. Losing Powers isn't normally done in this game.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 05:09:48 AM »
My biggest problem with Twilight as a world building exercise* was always this: Why are the vampires secret? They're earth-shatteringly powerful and have no meaningful weaknesses. why aren't they ruling over humanity as God-kings. Yeah, yeah, we can nuke them...but why haven't they been so ruling for the last 1,000 years, making them the ones with the nukes?

I mean, with most vampires there's the 'helpless (or vastly weakened) during the day' thing, which is a damn good excuse for not wanting to go public...but that doesn't the Twilight ones. I've heard explanations of why they don't rule everything...but none of them seemed at all convincing to me.

*I have other issues with them, but they're hardly relevant here. They have to do with plot and individual characters, not world rules.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »
Yeah, that was brought up before. Steph Meyer's reply was "Who wants to be the King of cows?"

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »
Yeah, that was brought up before. Steph Meyer's reply was "Who wants to be the King of cows?"

My response: 'Who hides from cows?' or possibly 'Us, based on how we treat them.'

Magicpockets

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »

Well, then they certainly aren't above fornicating with farm animals then :P

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »
losing strength really isn't a detriment since most vampires are roughly the same strength, newborns don't last very long and their blood lust makes it impossible to fight intelligently, this would apply to normal twilight vamps as well as they get hungrier they get less able to control themselves, they need t feed roughly every 2 weeks to a month to be able to even be around humans without eating them. (cullens  and Denali clans being the exceptions because of years of practice.). They grow weaker without blood but only weaker in respect to other vamps, never "the cows". Jasper implied maybe even said that a small new born army of 20 or so could easily wipe any human standing army so why they don't rule is beyond me. The really sound like a plot device not something I could ever really play and if you wanted to play a blood dependent vampire that was more human then the black court or the now defunct red court you could just alter the white court to be a blood dependent group instead of emotional one. it be fund to try for a game or so but after that what couldn't you do if you wanted to do it. Still they would have problems against the white council, who do have the power to open them up and burn them. Plus with all their abilities, a effect that left them dangling in the air would give you enough time to  kill them or get away. Plus in general they move in groups of 1-3 most clans aren't as large as the cullens. So the white council could provide a defense against them as well as be the reason they haven't taken over. It would probably take a warden or two but if prepared my money would be on the wizards, if not prepared then the wizard would be dead to fast to act. So some spell that that provided an instant shield when engaged in combat it would have to last more then a few engagements so your talking thaumaturgy and if the Dresden world contained these vamps all wizards would have to be trained to be able to set these times of shields. could be fun.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

Like I said, there's a reason everyone hates twilight.  :P

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
My brain automatically translated that to "I have no reasonable in-universe answer to that.  So I'll deflect it by answering it with a rethorical question." xD

Sounds like they would need to be adjusted a bit to fit canon.  Being that powerful, if they were organized as a court in the dresdenverse, they would rule everything this side of the Nevernever.  The Sidhe and posibly the Fomor would probably be the only ones able to keep them in check.