Author Topic: new member looking for help and a game  (Read 1290 times)

Offline leifespen

• Lurker
    • View Profile
new member looking for help and a game
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »
hey guys, i'm a big dresden files fan and i'd really like to start playing but i really dont know how to start. i'd like to make an artificer character and i'm working on the character sheet but i dont know if i'm doing it right.

any help would be apreciated, thanks!

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
Re: new member looking for help and a game
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
Hi

This is the place to look for a game...
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/board,47.0.html

You might want to give everyone a better idea of what you are thinking about for your character in terms of abilities and all that. You can work on the first few aspects, but character creation/ aspects works better when you have other characters to interact with.

There is also the Resources section which has a lot of stuff for characters including various character sheets and extra characters and all that. It helps to look at Vol 2 of DFRPG (Our World) because most of the major characters are written up as game characters. It helps a bit to see how certain people have been statted up.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:44:45 AM »
The enchanted items section of the book Your Story will be your bible, Lore, Discipline and Conviction will be your best skills, probably in that order, Refresh out the wazoo, and either Thaumaturgy or some sort of more specific Ritual will pretty much be required.

Other than that, yeah more specifics would help and games to join can be found in that link above.

Offline leifespen

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »
the high concept i'm looking for is a Norse Artificer, he'll have an Item of Power that's a family Mjollnir (thor's hammer) that's been passed from craftsman to craftsman in the family and holds their collective experience in crafting, so it's kinda like a little bob just for artificing.

i was reading that evocation works well with artificing as well as thaum, so i'd love to do that.

so the ritual magic would be just for making the items or for using them?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »
For item creation, you'll need ritual(crafting) as a bare minimum. It will grant you the ability to create enchanted items and potions. Each enchanted item or potion needs 1 enchanted item slot, or more if you want to increase their strength and/or frequency (number of uses per session). After that, you'll need refinement, which will grant you 4 enchanted item slots per point of refresh.

You could also go so far as to "invent" a new power, basically renaming ritual(crafting) and use craftsmanship instead of lore for creation purposes. That would mean you know less about magic and the supernatural in an academic sense, but you know how to make use of it in a practical way.

Now depending on what exactly you want that hammer to do, you can go a few ways about it. The easiest would be to treat it as a focus for your crafting, if it is only supposed to help you with your crafting. You can get 2 focus item slots for one point of refresh, and the maximum focus item slots on any item can be no higher than your lore skill. You can raise either power or frequency in this way, depending what you like. A mix is a good idea, in most cases, I think.

The next thing you could do is to treat it as an item of power. That's kind of tricky, since that would mean putting your crafting ability into the hammer, so without the hammer, you would not be able to create anything. As a focus, you could still craft, only a bit less powerful.
I am kind of on the fence for putting refinement for focus item slots and enchanted item slots on an item of power, since I feel that is double dipping. If the crafting ability is on the item, too, I might have less of a problem. YMMV.

I kind of see an evocator and an artificer as diametrically opposed. The evocator uses his power on the fly, to create numerous effects, but he is limited in what he can throw around at any given time. The artificer on the other hand needs time to create his items and plan things out. But his attention to detail and the time he invests in his workings mean, that he can be much more precise with his intended effects, and even more powerful.

Creating/Changing items and their properties on the fly would be something I would use sponsored magic for, since it allows for "thaumaturgy at evocations speed and methods" (often called evothaum around here, for short). With sponsored magic, you would also get a type of evocation and a type of thaumaturgy, that fit the magics sponsor. In your case, your ancestors could be the sponsor, and using the magic is channeling their accumulated wisdom through the hammer.

Hmm, I hope that was more helpful than confusing. If I have raised more questions than answered them, just ask away, and I will do my best to clarify.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline leifespen

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »
pm sent