Author Topic: The foul works of Annuvin, servants of Arawn  (Read 1729 times)

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The foul works of Annuvin, servants of Arawn
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:49:09 AM »
So, I've been listening to Lloyd Alexander's Prydain chronicles lately (yeah, I know, kids' books.  Still good stories!)  and it struck me that there are some fun concepts to be explored.

My thoughts thus far:

Adaon's Brooch: (-2? -3?)
An Item of Power.  Grants +1 to Assessment actions, Cassandra's Tears without the social penalties, and the Aspect "Quiet wisdom"

Cauldron-born have Living Dead and Physical Immunity (Catch of Dyrnwyn's Power)

the Huntsmen have another custom power:

Death Pact (-2)
Requirements:  You must have an Aspect involving this pact.
Strengthened by death: You are tied to a band or pack of fellows.  This unwholesome bond strengthens you, should the other members of your band fall.  Any time another character with this Power is Taken Out with a "Death" result, you immediately gain a Fate Point.
Strong Pact (-2): Your bond with your fellows is especially strong.  Any time another character with this Power is Taken Out with a "Death" result, you immediately gain a number of Fate Points equal to the number of characters with this Power who were killed this scene.  For example, there are a party of five Huntsmen with this Power menacing the party.  Fflewddur Fflam manages to kill one with a lucky shot, giving the remaining Huntsmen one Fate Point apiece.  A few Exchanges later, Eilonwy takes one of the remaining Huntsmen in the throat with a lucky arrow.  The three remaining Huntsmen each gain two Fate Points apiece. 

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The foul works of Annuvin, servants of Arawn
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »
Aodan's Brooch should probably be just [-1] for all the powers. Might want to tack on another.

Death Pact is rather odd. How is it depicted in the series? Because just letting it give a bonus to rolls would probably work better.

Offline CrispyXIV

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »
Death Pact is rather odd. How is it depicted in the series? Because just letting it give a bonus to rolls would probably work better.

A group of Huntsmen are bonded together; as they're killed, the remaining ones becomes stronger and more dangerous... in theory, in direct proportion to the number of them that have fallen.  Honestly, I kindof like the idea of them getting to pass their Fate Points off to their bonded brethren when they fall.

In the end, they still end up just being mooks in the books though, from what I can remember.  Its been a long time, though :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
I dunno about that Power. Granting FP is dangerous territory, and it looks impossible to cost that effect accurately. So much of its usefulness depends on things that cannot be controlled for. Maybe a variable cost is the answer.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:24:47 AM »
It's an experimental attempt - I just figured that granting Fate Points was the best way to represent the "the survivors get more powerful as members are slain" part of things. 

How do you mean, a variable cost?"

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:31:53 AM »
I don't think the passing of FP's is a power.  It's really something already included in the rules.  If a mook concedes or gets taken out, the GM can give any FP's earned from consequences to the Leader or keep them for himself.

So it's almost like all the hunters are the boss or, more accurately, the LAST one is the boss and any of the others can give their FP's off to the group.

PS:  I love these books.  I've got them stowed away waiting for the day my son is old enough for me to read them to him.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »
Taran, why are you waiting!?  ;D

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »
By variable cost I mean that the Refresh cost of the Power would vary with the number of FP you expect to get from it per session.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »
Maybe you could do this:

Figure out how many of them there are and then give them a pool of refresh spread out among them all.  So, individually, they aren't really that tough.  When one gets killed alocate their refresh to the group.  By the last one you'll have on REALLY tough Hunter.  Make sure the total refresh in the pool is something that the party could handle for their refresh, so if they ever need to fight the last one, they can.  Or maybe the Last one isn't meant to be taken on yet...whatever you like.

Taran, why are you waiting!?  ;D

He's 6, so while he'd enjoy it, I'm not sure he's got the attention span for it yet.