Author Topic: Categorising Items as Enchanted/Focus  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Dracorex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Categorising Items as Enchanted/Focus
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
I don't know if anyone's already explained this somewhere, but I'm new and really don't know my way around yet, so....

Why does a Warden Sword occupy enchanted item slots when it has nothing to do with the "limited no. of uses per session, needs recharging" rule for enchanted items?

Is this is a loophole for giving less-qualified Warden characters the item, even if they don't technically have the skill points, slots and such for it? If so, does this mean that we can come up with other items, which were crafted by someone else then given to the character, where the bonuses provided don't actually fit the skill points/slots/etc. requirements of the character (limited by GM and group approval on what would be OP)?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Categorising Items as Enchanted/Focus
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
Are you going off of the preview rules?  Or the final release?

Because the counterspell and Weapon:6 effect are limited to 3 times per session. 

It's categorized as an enchanted item because that was better than having it be an Item of Power (which would cost refresh).  This allows lower level wardens.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
Doesn't the final release version have the warden sword as a -3 refresh IoP?  Or am I just crazy (and possibly confusing it with a sword of the cross)?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
Doesn't the final release version have the warden sword as a -3 refresh IoP?  Or am I just crazy (and possibly confusing it with a sword of the cross)?

You're crazy and confusing it with the sword of the cross.

Offline Dracorex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »
I don't know - likely the preview rules, if I take your word for it.

Ah well. So that's 3/session for each effect?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
Nope, 3/session to use it for either (2 counterspells and an attack would use it up for a session, for example). Though you can use it more at 1 Mental Stress a pop (like all Enchanted Items). They are Weapon 6 attacks and 6 shift counterspells, though, so they're pretty hefty when used. And it's Weapon 3 just for being a sword even sans Enchanted Item effects, too.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »
There are three types of magical items in this game. Focus items, enchanted items (including potions), and Items of Power.

Focus items help people cast spells, and have no effects beyond that. Obviously that's not appropriate for the Warden Sword.

Items of Power have abilities that can be represented as Powers that the wielder gains. Given an anti-magic Power like Might Over Magic (see the custom Power list), this could represent the Warden Sword quite well. But Items of Power cost Refresh, and I doubt Evil Hat wanted to charge Wardens Refresh on top of the standard Wizard Template cost.

Which leaves enchanted items. Enchanted items are items that can be used to create effects equivalent to spells. They're not a perfect fit for the Warden Sword, but they're good enough.

(Originally the Warden Sword was going to be an always-on item, I think, but those were removed from the game before release.)

As for the way that Warden Swords break the normal enchanted item rules, Luccio has special Crafting skills that normal Wizards don't have. And she made the Swords. It's not totally clear how item lending works for normal Wizards.

Offline Dracorex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
Originally always-available 3-shift counterspell. And something else. Didn't pack as much oomph as the 6-shift/Weapon:6 revision, so all's fair. Thanks for the clarification, folks.