Author Topic: Fanfiction: Is It Real Writing?  (Read 10940 times)

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfiction: Is It Real Writing?
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 05:59:49 AM »
YES. Yes it is.

It's an art that literally goes back hundreds and hundreds of years if not thousands. (Noted authors were part of a Sherlock Holmes writing group, etc.)

It is just as valid as 'real' fiction. For the majority of us, we put ALOT of effort into what we write. As someone who's written over 240 fics, I can definitely say I've put alot of effort in (I've written a few series--I have alot of fandoms I like--and many one shots and the like which can get lengthy.)

It's another way to see things, try things. Although when reading fic you know most of the characters involved, you are building a world from the ground up. And as someone who values characterisation most, you have to work extra hard to keep them IC.

For me fic also gets me inspired to work on my own stories. I'm currently working on my first book. I haven't forgotten fandom though, been in it too long and I have so many of them.

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 06:03:51 AM »
(Though don't start me on Homestuck fandom.)

Yes, the Homestuck fandom is quite complex lol.

I thought you were into HS! Your icon 1mm3d14t3ly m4d3 m3 th1nk of T3r3z1 lol.

I myself got into it a few months ago on a friends recommendation. Are you caught up with it?

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
Yes, the Homestuck fandom is quite complex lol.

mmm. I was thinking more, composed largely of young teenagers, who fairly visibly span the entire range of maturiity and social cluefulness that one might expect of young teenagers; myself, I am going to be 40 this year, and the things I get out of it and like talking about with relation to it are probably not the same as the things many of those young teenagers are connecting to.  (Intelligent time-travel that's not afraid of being complex for the win. Also, metafiction for a better tomorrow.  But drawing trolls... not so much me.) It also strikes me as a very weird outlier in terms of how I think about fanfic generally because of the extent to which Hussie embraces and trolls his fandom.

I thought you were into HS! Your icon 1mm3d14t3ly m4d3 m3 th1nk of T3r3z1 lol.

I used to use a Rose one some time ago, as a couple of my friends seem to think I have a lot in common with Rose.

I myself got into it a few months ago on a friends recommendation. Are you caught up with it?

Yep; have read the whole thing twice.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
I used to use a Rose one some time ago, as a couple of my friends seem to think I have a lot in common with Rose.

I like Rose. Took a little bit for her to grow on me but I really like her now. I think she has had great character development. And I think the Rose/Kanaya pairing is sweet.

Yep; have read the whole thing twice.

Awesome. I'm in the process of re-reading it for the second time, while also keeping up with the updates. (The Caliborn-Jake segments have been comedy gold. I love how Jake trolls Caliborn and it all going over Caliborn's head. ;D)

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
mmm. I was thinking more, composed largely of young teenagers, who fairly visibly span the entire range of maturiity and social cluefulness that one might expect of young teenagers; myself, I am going to be 40 this year, and the things I get out of it and like talking about with relation to it are probably not the same as the things many of those young teenagers are connecting to.  (Intelligent time-travel that's not afraid of being complex for the win. Also, metafiction for a better tomorrow.  But drawing trolls... not so much me.) It also strikes me as a very weird outlier in terms of how I think about fanfic generally because of the extent to which Hussie embraces and trolls his fandom.

That's a good point.
I'm not quite a teenager anymore either, though I do understand a few things as well. I couldn't draw any Trolls even if I wanted to--I suck at drawing unless looking at a picture of something.